1997 Mercury Grand Marquis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:
Reliable car good value
By marquis97 on 07/22/12 03:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I bought a Marquis for my son 5 years ago for $2700 and was in perfect shape with clean title. It had 72000 miles on it. Since then he put 142000 miles on car. Had some repairs over the 5 years that I believe are common on Marquis. Replaced intake manifold(Rock auto) Has to replace front ball joints and tie rod. Had to replace window actuator on driver side door. Replaced battery and just recently replaced rear bearing. Fortunately I was able to do these repairs myself otherwise they would cost a lot of money in my area. Bought parts through Rock Auto, Autozone & Advanced Auto.

Da Marquise
By richie3102 on 04/20/12 09:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

This car is all around great. Surprising fuel economy, good handling for size, extreme comfort, good audio system, and nice pick up. I made it look like a copncar with rims and the pushbar and people stare. We have named him Marquis and I have loved him from the day I stole him from a dealer for next to nothing. No break downs or any problems what so ever. And man does he slam with my little additions. I have friends falling asleep in the back seat all of the time with the sort seats and smooth ride. Just broke 100000 and I'm driving him to the junk yard hopefully around 300000.

Reliable transportation
By joe on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 97 from an older man who could no longer drive, it was 6 yrs old with 22,000 mi.when purchased.I have used it as my daily work car for the past 7 yrs. It currently has 196,000 mi and going strong,Ive put new plugs and wires on it and brakes along with oil changes, I'm going to keep it as a work car as long as it will run. Bottom line is I'm sold on these cars and planning on buying a low mi. 2008 soon as a second car.

Best car I have owned
By Berg on 02/04/10 23:35 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Out of all the cars I've owned my 97 Grand Marquis is the best. I've had a Lincoln Town Car, a Camaro, an Escort, and a F250. Its a reliable, fun to drive car that holds 6 people. It handles well and I always feel safe driving it. I recomend the Grand Marquis to anyone looking for a rear wheel drive 4dr sedan. I love the 4.6L V8. It is suffeciently powerful and the 4spd trans works well too.

Great Car
By High Gear on 12/29/09 00:59 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and after 7 yrs passed it on to our son. It has the HPP which makes it fun to drive. Gas mileage is respectable considering the weight of the vehicle. Front seats sagged within a year and the dealer had them rebuilt to my satisfaction( I like a firm seat). Its a real sleeper and fools many with its power. Well here it is 12 yrs later and it still turns heads. Gripes are intake manifold failure ( very common) the happened out of warrenty , ball joints and tie rods, steering arm. You can thank greaseless joints for that. Intake was a known problem and only cop cars got a free warrenty on it shame on ford for this. I'd buy another but I like my f150 to much.

1997 Merc. Grand Marquis LS
By David Mahaffey on 08/20/09 22:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

This has been an excellent car. With the exception of a very slight noise problem on passenger side, this car has never cost a dime for repairs other than normal maintenance. A/C is as good today as first day bought. Always kept up with as far as maintenance and it shows in an excellent, comfortable vehicle.

FORD'S BETTER IDEA
By 1967z28 on 07/19/09 08:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I just experienced my 8th power window failure. This is my wife's car, no kids to abuse the system. Ford has been building cars with power windows for over 50 years and still can't get it right. Other failures include the dreaded plastic intake manifold. The improved Ford replacement manifold is now leaking around the heater hose nipple. Ford has been building cars for 100 years and has difficulty building a manifold that holds water. My wife has been stranded twice with no start issues due to poor crank trigger connector placement, it takes on water when driving in the rain. The rear seat belts were replaced under warranty and still have ratchet issues. The clear coat & paint have failed.

Dead at 175,000- not feasible to fix
By tom2002a on 08/18/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this new and never had any problems other than a cracked intake manifold which Ford paid for as part of a class actin settlement. Was hoping to get 250k plus - changed oil, trans and other fluids etc. Developed a brake leak and the brake lines are corroded from front to back - $1800 in labor alone to replace. I had noticed alot of the piping under the hood seemed to rot - electrolysis? If you're looking at one of these watch this - great car otherwise.

100,000 Plus Miles and Going
By Dave in Des Moines on 05/15/08 11:10 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 77,000 miles and now have over 180,000 miles on the vehicle. It has been extremely reliable on the most important item; the engine. Just regular maintenance. Have had problems with temperature controls air/heat switching, check engine light always on, and recently the suspension but those problems occurred well past the 120k mile arena. Great car for my teenage son to learn on.

Realistic review
By arlene capeluto on 03/17/08 09:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

Car is comfortable in very good condition. I drove around town did my errands and it never let me down. I had no problems with it. Now I just want a new car. It is a dark blue with a blue interior the upholstery is in good condition, the radio works good and so does the airconditioning. It is easy to look out in all directions. The tires are in good shape and it heats up quickly in the winter. It is comfortable for passengers. I have liked owning this car it has been good to me. The pick up is good and it stops easily. I think it would make a good family car. There is a small oil leak and that is the only negative I believe. I hope who ever gets it, has as good luck with it as I did.