Used 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Reliable car good value
By marquis97

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I bought a Marquis for my son 5 years ago for $2700 and was in perfect shape with clean title. It had 72000 miles on it. Since then he put 142000 miles on car. Had some repairs over the 5 years that I believe are common on Marquis. Replaced intake manifold(Rock auto) Has to replace front ball joints and tie rod. Had to replace window actuator on driver side door. Replaced battery and just recently replaced rear bearing. Fortunately I was able to do these repairs myself otherwise they would cost a lot of money in my area. Bought parts through Rock Auto, Autozone & Advanced Auto.

Favorite Features

Car is very comfortable especially the front bench seat with the arm rest. Feel like I am sitting on my couch at home. I like the cloth seats. Doesn't have a timing belt to replace. Very good visibility when driving. Engine & Trans good for at least 250,000 at least just change fluids. Nice power. You can pick these up for next to nothing if you are looking for a car for your kid. Huge trunk. Also a very sexy looking car. NOT!!!! lol unless your at a retirement in Flordia

Suggested Improvements

Handling on ice and snow not real good. Gas mileage not great. Radio to far away from driver unless you have very long arms

Da Marquise
By richie3102

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

This car is all around great. Surprising fuel economy, good handling for size, extreme comfort, good audio system, and nice pick up. I made it look like a copncar with rims and the pushbar and people stare. We have named him Marquis and I have loved him from the day I stole him from a dealer for next to nothing. No break downs or any problems what so ever. And man does he slam with my little additions. I have friends falling asleep in the back seat all of the time with the sort seats and smooth ride. Just broke 100000 and I'm driving him to the junk yard hopefully around 300000.

Favorite Features

Seats, steering, speakers, 6 person seating, amazing ride. V8 power

Suggested Improvements

Fuel gauge is really touchy but I love the electronic cluster

Reliable transportation
By joe

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 97 from an older man who could no longer drive, it was 6 yrs old with 22,000 mi.when purchased.I have used it as my daily work car for the past 7 yrs. It currently has 196,000 mi and going strong,Ive put new plugs and wires on it and brakes along with oil changes, I'm going to keep it as a work car as long as it will run. Bottom line is I'm sold on these cars and planning on buying a low mi. 2008 soon as a second car.

Best car I have owned
By Berg

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Out of all the cars I've owned my 97 Grand Marquis is the best. I've had a Lincoln Town Car, a Camaro, an Escort, and a F250. Its a reliable, fun to drive car that holds 6 people. It handles well and I always feel safe driving it. I recomend the Grand Marquis to anyone looking for a rear wheel drive 4dr sedan. I love the 4.6L V8. It is suffeciently powerful and the 4spd trans works well too.

Favorite Features

4.6L v8, rear wheel drive, interior space, trunk space

Suggested Improvements

exhaust windows intake should be examined. grease suspension regularly.

Great Car
By High Gear

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and after 7 yrs passed it on to our son. It has the HPP which makes it fun to drive. Gas mileage is respectable considering the weight of the vehicle. Front seats sagged within a year and the dealer had them rebuilt to my satisfaction( I like a firm seat). Its a real sleeper and fools many with its power. Well here it is 12 yrs later and it still turns heads. Gripes are intake manifold failure ( very common) the happened out of warrenty , ball joints and tie rods, steering arm. You can thank greaseless joints for that. Intake was a known problem and only cop cars got a free warrenty on it shame on ford for this. I'd buy another but I like my f150 to much.