1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:
Good Car
By 631rob1991 on 03/06/11 21:48 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

Had bought the 96 GM second hand for $400. Great investment. Drove smooth as can be. I enjoyed the spacious interior. The V8 gave it good pep.

Good Solid Car- Great Used Value
By robert on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I have had 3 Grand Marquis. A 1985 that I drove to 250 K! A used 1990 that I drive to 200K. The last car was a used 1996 and in has 98K on it. No problems a good solid cars. 2011 is the last year. This was a great car from a generation ago, well built, cheap to run, and it will be missed by me.

1996 Grand Marquis
By grandmarquis on 04/26/09 08:37 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Grand Marquis now has 79600 miles on it and it still runs strong. No one would guess its age (especially since new ones look simliar). Good accelaration and pick-up, lots of power. I have had to have all the O2 sensors replaced, and the mass airflow sensor has been replaced twice. It still has its original battery. I have also replaced the spark plugs. I change the oil ever 3000 miles. Fuel economy is good for the engine size but still very expensive to use for city driving (I get about 16 mpg city/23 or 24 highway)

96 grand marquis
By George on 03/29/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my grand marquis used with about 87,000 miles for $2000. I replace the wiper blades, one rim with curb damage, and one missing side light, and changed the oil. It drove great till 117,000 miles. Then the plastic intake manifold cracked, leaking out the coolant. You can read more about this by googling intake manifolds, grand marquis/crown victorias. My engine must of over heated and warped or cracked a head. I don't blame my car, I blame Ford. I bought a used 4.6 engine with 118,000 on it and using info I found on the internet and my library, I switched engines. I have no experience doing this and it took me about 50 hours total. I now have 125,000 miles and it runs great.

207,500 and Going Strong
By Ralph on 03/09/09 18:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

Bought the Merc at 70,000. Car has been the most reliable I have ever owned. Wife loves the soft ride. I wish it had a handling package. Fuel averages 24 on highway. Good for a Big car. Interior is very comfortable. Cupholders block Climate control access. No problems at all. Still has original Starter and Alternator. I will buy my 3rd and 4th GM soon. I will get LS model for my wife and I will get a used Marauder for me. Great Car!

Great buy. Cheap insurance for a V8
By JayJay on 08/29/08 09:41 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

Not a fast car, I'm 20 and like to speed. Great big boat and roomy except the rear back leg room. The car really needs bigger rims 17 inches to help with the handling. The car came with a crappy sound system so I put a new head unit, speakers, and amp. Never had any problems with it. I'm allways putting the gas to the floor. Driving it as crazy as I do, I still get 15 mpgs. I put 20,000 miles on it in a year and still running great!

Nice Car, Could Use Some Improvement
By Mr. Marquis on 12/18/06 11:13 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

If you're like me and enjoy a large, roomy v-8 driven rear wheel drive car then the Mercury Marquis is about the only way to go now that GM has been out of the game since '96. That being said, it fills that niche nicely but a few things need to be addressed. I bought mine at 62,000 miles and it ran fine with no problems until around 75,000 when the plastic intake manifold cracked ($1,000 fix). This is apparently a common problem on the Ford 4.6L V8. It's comfortable, has plenty of room, and rides nice and smooth. Overall, a good value with nice features for the money.

Grand Marquis
By CGood on 02/17/05 12:15 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

This is the fourth Grand Marquis I've had in the last 6 years. I now own 2 and will be purchasing my 5th in the next year. I do a lot of cross country driving and you just can't beat these cars on the used market for comfort and handling. Mine has 120,000 miles and runs like the day it was new.

Marquis
By wrightchix on 12/28/04 07:11 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Lost water pump at 98000. Intake manifold at 110000. Ford recalled intakes on police and livery use models only. Seats hard on bottom for long drives. Lost sensor at exhaust manifold a 63000. Lost sensor at catalytic 111000. Spark plug wires wear prematurely. Otherwise, A great car.

1996 Grand Marquis, great car
By donguy on 06/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. 204,000 miles and I still have the original transmission, water pump, alternator, air conditioner, fuel pump, no engine work and only 3 sets of tires. I still get 26 mpg on the highway. A really great car. The only complaint I have had was that the intake manifold broke at 170000 miles. It was made out of plastic. It was replaced with a revised model. Ford should have performed a recall on this.