1995 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Review: Good car but sometimes expensi

1995 Mercury Grand Marquis - Consumer Review

GS Sedan (4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic)

Good car but sometimes expensive to fix
By Joe on

1995 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 3 years. The problems i have encountered so far: - new brake lines (rotted at 88k) $300 -steering gearbox seal (102k) $90 -pitman arm and idler arm -tie rod and tie rod end (common) -lower balljoint on driver side (VERY COMMON) -muffler hangers ($20) - new headlight lens(peeling) very common -egr valve gives code, can't get valve out, in tight space ($300 to replace at mechanic) The above problems i have encountered was mostly wear and tear and things that DIDN'T go while the car was driving it. I haven't had any problems other than maintanance items that keep the car going. I have enjoyed driving the car and recommend highly!

Favorite Features

headlights, backseat, and steering

Suggested Improvements

egr valve location and problems with balljoints
By jbeams
on 02/13/11 13:46 PM (PST)

I have seen where the egr is and I agree with you-but with patience, and a little manuevering around, it can be done. Get a Haynes manual, and it will explain exactly on how to replace the agr...I have looked at the chilton manuals, and it does little to explain anything, except look at pictures and figure it out your self. Get the Haynes manuals before 1998 as chilton bought out the company in that year.