2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Bought a Cougar Again
By Katherine on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second cougar - many little annoyances in the 1999 model year were fixed in the 2002 (coin slots added, cup holder upgraded, no more plastic grate on front w/ pieces that pop out, CD changer in dash instead of trunk). It's a peppy car, a perfect fit, and has an eye-catching look. Not meant for big/tall people and the back seats are more useful folded down for more trunk space than as seats. Great for people who can't see over the steering wheels in typical mid-sized cars and for those who haul more stuff than people. Can roll down the windows, open the sunroof, and not get blown to bits.

Ann's car
By Ann marie on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is wonderful, I haven't regretted buying it. I got into an accident, and it was pretty bad, and my car came out perfect. The structure on my 2002 stayed strong, and it's comfort it perfect.

A++++++ 35th Aniv.
By Platinum Cougar on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Ultimate 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great sports car at compact price!35th Aniv. Model is even better than plain!

Be glad it's gone!
By Big John on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Ultimate 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I thought I'd give Ford one more chance, but I should have bought Japanese car. Rough engine performance, tires vibrate, no low-end torque, squeaks, hood needed to be painted, and now CD player giving me trouble. Looks are deceiving and you get what you pay for. A lot of car for money, but want to trade out now and get a quality vehicle with some performance. Way down on horsepower compared to other V6 sport coupes.

the car
By mark stahlnecker on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

great car, great ride, great price.

The Sports Ultimate Coupe
By sunshinechili on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Ultimate 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My husband and I were at our lease-end of a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. We decided not to keep it, we were in the process of looking for a new car. We had our minds already set. Went Christmas shopping in a mall In Omaha. Seen the Sport Ultimate. The next day we test drove one and ended up purchasing one. I just love everything about it, the get-up and go. The color, the feature and the price was just right.

Cougar gone wrong
By madcougar on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I should of known the first day it was a lemon, when speedometer broke and my tire blew out. For the past year I have been in and out of the service shop because my car stops while I'm driving, with no warning at all. I can be on the highway or on streets, and it will just turn off. I regret ever buying this car, I wish I would read these other reviews before I purchased it.

What a great buy for a great car!
By Oregonian on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have had no problems with our 2001 Cougar. It is VERY fun to drive and has a huge interior considering its exterior size. The styling jumps out at others and turns about 20 heads a day when we drive about 20 miles a day. The front and especially rear leg room is generous. It's sad that Mercury is discountinuing the Cougar for 2003, but this is your chance. We recommend this car to any buyer young or old, short or tall. And the price is right too. Normally, the price starts around $16,000. Now, since it's getting discountined, you can get a new Cougar for way under $10,000 if that seems believable, but according to our local dealerships, it's true.

FRONT ROTORS PROBLEM
By Steve Masch on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I drove the Cougar over 90K miles. Automatic transmission, still averaging 23.5 Miles per gallong. I usually cruise at 85-90 Miles per Hour. The car is still driving strong but it was not built as well as I thought and it started to fall apart. Minor things for the most but the biggest problem has been the FRONT ROTORS that KEEP ON WORPING. I do drive quite aggressively and brake accordingly but I had to bring the car back for rotors replacements twice and had them substituted twice till I decided to shallow out a few hundreds for high performance parts. The sunroot too is easily damageable, twice I had to have it fixed.

OK for the money
By whome? on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is definately a looker. The C@ pkg really adds to the look. DO NOT plan to have more than 2 people in it! Gas mileage is very good. The car handles curves extremely well. The engine is sluggish on start, but does well once on the road. Make sure you watch your blind spots - this car provides several.