Used 2002 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Bad Car
By Bpkr103

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but problems with this car since I purchased it. Had 40,000 miles when purchased and bought extended warranty ( thank God ) Had new transmission 2 months after I bought it and now the engine is blown. Dealer asked for receipts for oil changes after the car sat for 3 weeks. Poor services, so glad I got that extended warranty now i'll see if they honor it !

LOVE it
By Robin

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Had my 2002 V6 Cougar for 4 years now. I love it...love to drive it, love to look at it. Shocked to read the bad reviews. I've had no problem what so ever with my girl. (Course, now I hope I didn't "just" look a gift horse in the mouth. I average about 32 MPG. I live in the mountains and love her get up and go! I broke her in hard though, I did not baby her I stomped on the gas peddle at every light just to break her in the way I wanted her to go. She jumps at the lights now. She's perrrrfect.

Favorite Features

6CD changer,looks,comfort, handling and speed.

Suggested Improvements

None

Put some work into it and its way better
By BS

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car with stock (V6) features a bit under a year ago with 30,000 miles on it and it was ok i guess, performance wise. It could beat a V6 mustang anyway (yea woo-hoo). Since then I've spent maybe $1500 on performance parts off ebay and installing them myself and it's made a world of difference. The Dual Exhaust with a couple of flowmasters and the cold air intake (about $500 for both) really add a lot of power, and a decent suspension that went for about $450 made this thing handle turns easily at 45+ mph (although it doesn't balance well). A few other small mods and this car's performance can keep up with its fast looks. Keeps up with a friend's souped-up RSX easily!

Favorite Features

Aggressive, modern styling. Vents (look like they came out of my old '01 Grand Am) are a great style feature. Love the mpg computer and Temp. 6 cd changer, stock. MPG is about 28!

Suggested Improvements

More performance options from the factory. A little better weight distribution. Bad visibility. Make me a newer model!

It's all over at 67,000 miles
By Disgruntled

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Transmission needs to be rebuilt....it has slipped since it was brand new. The spoiler broke at 3 years and they don't make it any more. The head gasket is blown and it has never over-heated, has had regular oil changes/service and obviously not used to tow anything. I need to replace a couple of sensors and it is $700 at the dealership. You have to pay $93 for diagnostics to determine minor failures and another $140 for compression diagnostic. As I should have remembered before I bought this, it is just a shinier FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily. I also own a 1967 Ford Mustang which is reliable - built before the American automotive manufacturers forgot how to build a decent, reliable car

Suggested Improvements

Stop building - oh, that's right, they have.

2002 Mercury Cougar V6 Ultimate A4
By Steve

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 80k miles. It hasn't been a bad car, though it hasn't been the best. The styling is sharp and the interior isn't bad. I find it to be rather low on power, but I am used to cars with much more power (had to buy something for gas mileage). Speaking of mileage, I'm getting appx 22mpg combined city/hwy. I've had some electrical issues, but other than that, it seems rather reliable *knock on wood*. It's also not too boring to drive (sure, it's no Corvette, but it's more enjoyable than a Civic). The styling has worn well considering the trends to edgier designs (and especially since the car was discontinued 4 years ago).

Favorite Features

I like the aggressive styling (even get people trying to race me - stupid fools, it's a 170 hp slow car - go find something faster to race!) I think it handles great and has pretty good brakes as well.

Suggested Improvements

The tilt wheel should be able to move a bit lower. I'm always a fan of more power as well. Other than that, it's not that bad. Can't really improve anything since they aren't made anymore.