2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
nice car
By enforcerdfu on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Very fun to drive car.My wife has a C2 and the only prob. we have had is with the fuel gage and miles to empty.Right after we bought it the gage would take about 30 miles after filling up to go to full.Also agree that in acceleration it is not to great but top end is wonderful for those who drive fast on the interstate like me.

Great car, whats with all the haters?
By duby on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My 2002 Mercury Cougar V6 sport is one of the best looking cars on the road. I cant stand reading all the poor reviews on this car. Whats wrong with it? Its not as fast as a mustang cobra? If you want a fast car, get something else. Its not like the cougar is slow. I can hang with celica's and V6 'stangs. PLus, the cougar looks better. What else can you ask for? This is a TREMENDOUS car if youre looking for a sports car for under or around $20,000.

Great Ride
By DBAIRD on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Most fun I've ever had driving regularly...comfortable, looks great...what else can I say? I LOVE THIS RIDE!!!

Love it!
By spcn on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 2002 Cougar. It's so fun to drive and the V6 really has kick for the amount of $$ spent. It really is too bad that they've discontinued it. I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to haul people around. I used to play chauffer for everyone with my 4 door family car, but no more!

Don't buy this car!
By Kenichiro Suga on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'd driven this car before so when it came time to buy I didn't waste any time comparing or looking on Edmunds.com I found the hard way that you should always research what you buy, even if you (think you) know what you are getting. Here's what I found: 1) the I4 engine is not powerful enough to run the airconditioning while driving up hill 2) You get no acceleration with this engine. Maybe I have high expectations since I am in Germany and I'm rolling down the Autobahn next to BMWs and Audis but when you get the Autobahn you have to keep up!

A Dream Car in my Garage
By Stephen on 06/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

An eye catcher in 35th Anniversary Edition Skin with options and standard features to back it up. A beautiful car with an even more beautiful interior and a sound system that sounds like its worth $1000.00, rides like a sports car and feel like a sports car in handeling. The only downside to the car is that by all means it looks fast, but in this case looks are deceving. This car is unfortunitly underpowered. That aside it has been everything and more than what I expected for a Mercury for the price of $22K. A good solid investment if you had the money to tweek up the engine.

good car, good value
By me12 on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

so sad to see you go

2002 Mercury Cougar V6 Sport - Thumbs Up
By Caladan on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

For what it is, a 2 door (plus hatch) sport coupe, I am very pleased with the 2002 Mercury Cougar. It's not a car for everyone, but I like it. A sporty look inside and out, but is still fairly economical and reliable. Handles well around town or on the Interstate. The car is so smooth it hardly seems like you're going fast when the speedo reaches the higher numbers. Fold down split rear seats make for ample cargo room in the rear of the vehicle. No mechanical problems in 10,000 miles and the dealer has treated me very well during routine maintenance. This car is a real bargain if you want something fun, reliable and economical.

Love that Cougar
By shelkatt on 04/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Absolutely love my car!! It is an XR and bright red. It is very fun to drive and in my opinion it is the sharpest looking car around the small town I live in.It is too bad that they are no longer made.

Great Car
By Lars McCulloch on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Fun! I love this car. My experience has been great. I unfourtuantley got into an accident and it wasn't too expensive to fix.