Used 2002 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Love it!
By brittany

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my Cougar for 2yrs now and I'm at 85000 miles. I love this car. I love the way it looks and the way it drives. I've put a few performance things on it such as a cold air intake and a muffler and am hoping to get it tuned very soon because it is running lean. I've had not problems as far a reliability and performance. I get what I expect from my care everytime I step on the gas. I think it is the best car I've ever owned and wish they would make another one with maybe a bigger engine. I don't think I'll be getting another car until this one is completely gone. I will do anything to keep it as long as possible.

Favorite Features

Interior, exterior, handling, picks up power high in rpms

Suggested Improvements

Smoother ride, hotter wheels, better visibility, oh yeah and makeing them again.

I Love It!
By Lauren

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my car for a year and a half and I absolutely love it! I haven't had any problems at all. I love the design and everything about it. Nice big trunk, a lot bigger than a lot of people think. Gas mileage isn't the best, but it is a V6, so what do you expect? We have previously had Honda's and Toyota's and this car is so much better than any Honda or Toyota we have had. The seats are incredibly comfortable and we actually take this car on long trips rather than our CRV. It handles really well and the cruise is right on. Very smooth ride and you can't even feel it shift. I would recommend this car to anyone!

Favorite Features

Really comfortable leather seats, moonroof, interior looks really nice, the engine runs smooth, nice cold air conditioning, heats up really quickly in the winter, rear wiper, big trunk, nice carpet not cheap, keyless entry (or whatever you call it). 6 disk cd player, sport edition is great!

Suggested Improvements

There aren't any that I can think of at the moment.

So far so good
By mandanstan

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just bought the car from an individual a few days ago, and enjoy it so far. It handles very well, but, just like everyone else says, it doesn't have the most get up and go. It's definitely a reliable A to B car, but don't go racing anybody. The seller said it was his daughter's car and she had never had any problems the 2 years that she had it.

Favorite Features

Love the style

Suggested Improvements

More HP would be sweet

Lemon any one?
By nichole57

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is the worst car ever! Ive had it four months and it's a death trap. Ive already replaced the fuel line and pumps,spark plugs, cat. converter, starter, pumps and hoses that were fried by exhaust. I got into a bad accident due to the brakes,power steering and emergency brake failing. This car was a terrible buy. It's very comfy and sleek and OK on gas mileage. When not in the shop it is actually very fun to drive because of its pick up and go.

Favorite Features

V6, sleek design

Suggested Improvements

Mileage and the reliability and build

bad Cat!
By BAD CAT!

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This has to be the worst car I have ever purchased. I have only had it for 10 months. It is parked now with a $2000 transmission bill! It has cut off in the middle of the expressway!. Trunk leaks, engine lights comes on, open door light stays on. CD player jams, terrible on tires/alighnment, "rattles" in the rear, and the list goes on. Would rather ride a bicycle! Would never own another one unless someone gave it to me, then I'd still be leary!

Favorite Features

Exterior look is great. But please don't judge car by it's cover!

Suggested Improvements

Shoot any salesman who would sell this piece of junk!