Used 2002 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

I Love It!
By Lynn

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my car out of the showroom. I have not had any problems with it at all. It still looks great, love the leather interior and the style and 6 CD changer. It gives good mileage, is comfortable, handles well and has good pickup. I've had my car now for 6 years and aside from regular oil changes and taking good care of it, I have no complaints.

Leather seats and 6 CD changer The silver color and black leather seats give it a classy look

The way its built as you change lanes in traffic it is hard to see traffic on your blind side.

Best kept secret
By Great car

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my SECOND Cougar. The first one (2000)is still in service with 225,000 miles on it. My 2002 will turn 230,000 this week. Rock solid car and I can't understand the complaints. I intend to go at least 300,000 miles if not more. Both Cougars had brakes replaced the first time at 110,000 mile. Both also had to have fuel pump and AC clutch replaced at 140,000. Overall mileage is still above 27mpg. Great brakes and very sure footed and fun to drive.

Leather seats, styling, 6 CD player, 5 speed tranny

More power and more power

Great car
By Pogi

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought it 4 months ago with 60,000 miles. I have not had any problems with this vehicle. I just hit 81,000 miles. I will be parting with it shortly because my wife is pregnant and we need a 4dr car. It is a great car.

V6, 6 CD changer, bucket seats in the front and back, speed, comfort

None

Overall nice car
By rick

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in '02 for wife who is tougher on cars than I am. Only mechanical issue in five years has been rear brakes and coil pack. It's got decent power for a 2.5 litre V6 and still gets around 27mpg. Rear visibility isn't good and took some getting used to and it has a killer blind spot. Turning radius is terrible when you're used to foreign cars, but it handles and rides very well. Seats are comfortable and head and shoulder room are more than adequate for me (6 feet tall, 210 lbs.) The tach has no redline and with the 5 speed stick and the engine being so quiet, that's an issue. Not surprised that Ford made this nice car and almost immediately discontinued it.

Improve rear visibility, specifically blind spots. Improve turning radius.

Take the Good with the Bad
By Cougar

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the outer appearance however it is lacking in other areas. I have the "leather" interior. this car is 5 year old and already the seats are shot. I have rips/holes just from every day use. I have only had this car a few months and have had to replace the brakes and recut rotors. The transmission seems to be slipping at times too. It's fun to drive but the repairs will cost you. I have a Chevy before and I think I just might go back to buying them next time around.

Digital console

Easier access to replace headlights, better transmission, better brakes, better "leather" for interior. This will probably not be improved seeing as 2002 is the last year they are made.