2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Lemonade?
By Jen on 08/07/06 14:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

One year in, and this car needed the fuel pump replaced while still under warranty. CD player 6 cd in dash also ATE cd's and got stuck even after repairs to it. Needed to do the brakes sooner than would be expected. I was told that this was due to the front wheel drive or something.. Not only the brake pads, but also the rotors usually need to be replaced every time on this type of brake system. They don't tell you that when you buy it. Next came the dead battery.. at about 25,000 miles. Just as it fell outside of warranty in terms of years, not miles, it needed the alternator replaced. This was at 32,000 miles. This is when I dumped the car, ate the negative equity, leased a Mazda

Good kitty
By Tawan on 04/21/06 19:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Cougar for 3 yrs and have never had a problem. My gas mileage is usually 32-33 mpg. The trunk is big enough to put almost anything in it. It lacks power, you will not win any race, but you will be the best looking slow car on the line!

Very pleased
By Jessica on 04/20/06 10:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I seem to have a different view than most people here. I have a 2002 Anniversary edition and absolutely love it. I have had no problems and have put 8k miles on it making a grand total of 51k. I dont know if its too soon to talk but it handles great, is a comfortable and quiet ride on the interstate, and gets great gas mileage (after driving 250 miles at 75 mph I have half a tank left). For a 2dr car the back seat is very roomy and comfortable except it does not seat very tall people well.

Probably the best Cougar
By JR on 03/28/06 18:31 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 cougar XR with 34,000 miles on it. Let me say i had a 1999 cougar and i thought it was sweet, this car by far beats it. The nicer interior and sweet headlights make me want to drive it constantly!

truemixed1
By truemixed1 on 01/29/06 20:55 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got my car just the other day and I love it already its better than the truck that I had before and way better on gas.

Vrrrroooooom!!!
By babybrowneyes on 07/03/05 09:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car has, by far, been the best car that I have ever driven! I have previously owned a Probe as well as a 98 Escort and the ride is a lot better than either of those. This car takes corners and turns like nothin else! I don't even feel the turn. It's a beautiful car, I've washed it every other day since I've had it. The only thing I've noticed on it is the paint chips VERY easily. I almost want to avoid the express way with this baby because of it. I see a paint job in the future.....

Love the car...too many repairs!
By P schwedler on 05/27/05 17:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my type of car. I love the unique look, the V6 power, the roomy hatchback. This is the 1st new car I've purchased, and I've taken great care of it. I've failed the Mass. emmissions test due to a broken sensor. The fuel pump was recalled. The alternator cracked and my car died in rush hour traffic. This all happened in the last few months on a 3 year old car. Glad I got the extended warrenty! The steering is very heavy, but I can deal with that. My friend's Jeep Cherokee has a tighter turning radius than my cougar. I love the car, but hate the hassle.

Love and hate relationship
By C Rush on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love driving the car and the look, but the car has a major fuel pump problem which is common in these Cougars. It had to be replaced twice on mine, and I also had a sensor go out very early on. The features are all great, but I hate having a problem every couple of months.

'02 cougar V6
By rjohnson319 on 06/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a little over six months now and haven't had any problems. I feel that it is pretty sporty, and its a lot of fun to drive. Its light weight combined with the V6, really gives it some oomph!

Cougar
By Bobothechimp on 04/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had to take my car into the shop several times for different problems. I have had the stereo replaced 3 times and it still does not function properly. I still love the car just wish it would have been built better.