2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Love it!
By brittany on 11/24/07 09:23 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my Cougar for 2yrs now and I'm at 85000 miles. I love this car. I love the way it looks and the way it drives. I've put a few performance things on it such as a cold air intake and a muffler and am hoping to get it tuned very soon because it is running lean. I've had not problems as far a reliability and performance. I get what I expect from my care everytime I step on the gas. I think it is the best car I've ever owned and wish they would make another one with maybe a bigger engine. I don't think I'll be getting another car until this one is completely gone. I will do anything to keep it as long as possible.

I Love It!
By Lauren on 06/28/07 10:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my car for a year and a half and I absolutely love it! I haven't had any problems at all. I love the design and everything about it. Nice big trunk, a lot bigger than a lot of people think. Gas mileage isn't the best, but it is a V6, so what do you expect? We have previously had Honda's and Toyota's and this car is so much better than any Honda or Toyota we have had. The seats are incredibly comfortable and we actually take this car on long trips rather than our CRV. It handles really well and the cruise is right on. Very smooth ride and you can't even feel it shift. I would recommend this car to anyone!

So far so good
By mandanstan on 06/27/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just bought the car from an individual a few days ago, and enjoy it so far. It handles very well, but, just like everyone else says, it doesn't have the most get up and go. It's definitely a reliable A to B car, but don't go racing anybody. The seller said it was his daughter's car and she had never had any problems the 2 years that she had it.

Lemon any one?
By nichole57 on 05/29/07 18:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is the worst car ever! Ive had it four months and it's a death trap. Ive already replaced the fuel line and pumps,spark plugs, cat. converter, starter, pumps and hoses that were fried by exhaust. I got into a bad accident due to the brakes,power steering and emergency brake failing. This car was a terrible buy. It's very comfy and sleek and OK on gas mileage. When not in the shop it is actually very fun to drive because of its pick up and go.

bad Cat!
By BAD CAT! on 05/29/07 09:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This has to be the worst car I have ever purchased. I have only had it for 10 months. It is parked now with a $2000 transmission bill! It has cut off in the middle of the expressway!. Trunk leaks, engine lights comes on, open door light stays on. CD player jams, terrible on tires/alighnment, "rattles" in the rear, and the list goes on. Would rather ride a bicycle! Would never own another one unless someone gave it to me, then I'd still be leary!

Bad Car
By Bpkr103 on 03/17/07 16:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but problems with this car since I purchased it. Had 40,000 miles when purchased and bought extended warranty ( thank God ) Had new transmission 2 months after I bought it and now the engine is blown. Dealer asked for receipts for oil changes after the car sat for 3 weeks. Poor services, so glad I got that extended warranty now i'll see if they honor it !

LOVE it
By Robin on 12/08/06 13:30 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Had my 2002 V6 Cougar for 4 years now. I love it...love to drive it, love to look at it. Shocked to read the bad reviews. I've had no problem what so ever with my girl. (Course, now I hope I didn't "just" look a gift horse in the mouth. I average about 32 MPG. I live in the mountains and love her get up and go! I broke her in hard though, I did not baby her I stomped on the gas peddle at every light just to break her in the way I wanted her to go. She jumps at the lights now. She's perrrrfect.

Put some work into it and its way better
By BS on 10/20/06 13:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car with stock (V6) features a bit under a year ago with 30,000 miles on it and it was ok i guess, performance wise. It could beat a V6 mustang anyway (yea woo-hoo). Since then I've spent maybe $1500 on performance parts off ebay and installing them myself and it's made a world of difference. The Dual Exhaust with a couple of flowmasters and the cold air intake (about $500 for both) really add a lot of power, and a decent suspension that went for about $450 made this thing handle turns easily at 45+ mph (although it doesn't balance well). A few other small mods and this car's performance can keep up with its fast looks. Keeps up with a friend's souped-up RSX easily!

It's all over at 67,000 miles
By Disgruntled on 10/10/06 13:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Transmission needs to be rebuilt....it has slipped since it was brand new. The spoiler broke at 3 years and they don't make it any more. The head gasket is blown and it has never over-heated, has had regular oil changes/service and obviously not used to tow anything. I need to replace a couple of sensors and it is $700 at the dealership. You have to pay $93 for diagnostics to determine minor failures and another $140 for compression diagnostic. As I should have remembered before I bought this, it is just a shinier FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily. I also own a 1967 Ford Mustang which is reliable - built before the American automotive manufacturers forgot how to build a decent, reliable car

2002 Mercury Cougar V6 Ultimate A4
By Steve on 08/09/06 06:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 80k miles. It hasn't been a bad car, though it hasn't been the best. The styling is sharp and the interior isn't bad. I find it to be rather low on power, but I am used to cars with much more power (had to buy something for gas mileage). Speaking of mileage, I'm getting appx 22mpg combined city/hwy. I've had some electrical issues, but other than that, it seems rather reliable *knock on wood*. It's also not too boring to drive (sure, it's no Corvette, but it's more enjoyable than a Civic). The styling has worn well considering the trends to edgier designs (and especially since the car was discontinued 4 years ago).