2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Love the car!!!!
By Lauren on 05/30/09 10:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have loved this car since I bought it back in 2006. I don't treat the car very well but it has been tough. It's VERY comfortable. I could go on and on about things I love about this car.

My Cougar
By Tiffer6139 on 05/17/09 10:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 02 Cougar for a little over a year, I haven't had any engine trouble no big problems. few problems with the rear visibility and huge blind spot also the arm rest isn't there and no mirror on the passenger Visor... other than that good mpg. all in all good Car

I love my car!
By Amanda on 12/22/08 12:41 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have not had my Cougar very long only about a year and I love it, despite the moon roof and the 6 disc cd player dont work, but minor things can be fixed! Otherwise this is a great car! I have a 5 speed and its super fun to drive. They are hot sleek cars that people look at when you drive by! Having the V6 really helps with the outter look! Very sporty reliable car!

I don't know what I was thinking
By nikki on 12/16/08 07:09 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car drives great when it drives, tires expensive, After 85,000 miles I had to replace the transmission. Built like a Honda or Toyota, I don't think so.

I love my car
By W_Sh3a_J on 06/19/08 08:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Even with my Cougar being a salvage, it's awesome. I fixed/replaced some things, all parts were cheap, except getting the reverse fixed. Now my car is all good! And yes, the heater/air is excellent - it's real powerful! My Cougar has dual overheads too and they say its rare and that it's fast! Also my Cougar is beautiful! Plus, it looks small but it's roomy with a big trunk for my system.

I Love It!
By Lynn on 05/28/08 09:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my car out of the showroom. I have not had any problems with it at all. It still looks great, love the leather interior and the style and 6 CD changer. It gives good mileage, is comfortable, handles well and has good pickup. I've had my car now for 6 years and aside from regular oil changes and taking good care of it, I have no complaints.

Best kept secret
By Great car on 04/29/08 14:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my SECOND Cougar. The first one (2000)is still in service with 225,000 miles on it. My 2002 will turn 230,000 this week. Rock solid car and I can't understand the complaints. I intend to go at least 300,000 miles if not more. Both Cougars had brakes replaced the first time at 110,000 mile. Both also had to have fuel pump and AC clutch replaced at 140,000. Overall mileage is still above 27mpg. Great brakes and very sure footed and fun to drive.

Great car
By Pogi on 04/22/08 05:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought it 4 months ago with 60,000 miles. I have not had any problems with this vehicle. I just hit 81,000 miles. I will be parting with it shortly because my wife is pregnant and we need a 4dr car. It is a great car.

Overall nice car
By rick on 12/31/07 10:28 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in '02 for wife who is tougher on cars than I am. Only mechanical issue in five years has been rear brakes and coil pack. It's got decent power for a 2.5 litre V6 and still gets around 27mpg. Rear visibility isn't good and took some getting used to and it has a killer blind spot. Turning radius is terrible when you're used to foreign cars, but it handles and rides very well. Seats are comfortable and head and shoulder room are more than adequate for me (6 feet tall, 210 lbs.) The tach has no redline and with the 5 speed stick and the engine being so quiet, that's an issue. Not surprised that Ford made this nice car and almost immediately discontinued it.

Take the Good with the Bad
By Cougar on 12/27/07 11:36 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the outer appearance however it is lacking in other areas. I have the "leather" interior. this car is 5 year old and already the seats are shot. I have rips/holes just from every day use. I have only had this car a few months and have had to replace the brakes and recut rotors. The transmission seems to be slipping at times too. It's fun to drive but the repairs will cost you. I have a Chevy before and I think I just might go back to buying them next time around.