Used 2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Worst car I ever owned
By dannj1

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport Ultimate 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

From the start, I had all sorts of issues with my car.
Maybe I got a lemon, but I took care if it and followed the regular maintenance schedule, still had all sorts of costly issues.
Radio, interior peeling despite armoral on a regular basis,

This car is the one car that made me turn from Ford made products and buy a Toyota, and I'm a buy American type of person!

liked the red on black seats and the stitching; the only thing that actually held up well in the car. The floormats also held up well.

Better parts, get rid of the Firestone tires ASAP. The CD player in it eats CDs, always has. bottoms out, even in spots corvettes don't bottom out. Get aftermarket rims, the stock ones are costly to replace. Add more horsepower

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By cougarfanatic

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My cougar is the best car ever!! It is definitely a head turner. Its exterior is white with a red stripe. the interior is black and red. it is very fun to drive esp. in deep curves. it handles very well. This is not only a aprts car for girls!! I get approached by guys all the time about my car. I recently purchased this car for $1500. the previous owners thought that it needed a new computer. but once i got it home i noticed that the spark plugs were on wrong. lol so i got this great sexy car for cheap. i would give this car a 5 in every category but the back seat isn't to comfy. other than that this car is the best ever.!!!!

Handling

more space in the back seating area

2002 Merc Cougar - <3
By mielejam

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE my car. It is, for the most part, reliable.
It has had its share of repairs, including alternator, rear wiper wiring, and is currently in the shop to have the transmission resealed.
My moon roof stopped working while the alternator was going, but works just fine now.
This car is in great shape for going on 9 years old, and is fun to drive.
It gets decent gas mileage and has had no significant breaks until now.

V-6, body style, interior (the car is built for a smaller person to drive. Being just over 5'2", I feel like the interior is designed for ME, whereas in other cars I feel like I am swimming in space and cannot comfortably see out of the car) & the name, Cougar, & name

Electrical and transmission - those were rating poor on consumer reports and seem to hold true with my car.

I HATE my Cougar
By Lyssa

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Cougar with 62k miles on it. Ive had nothing but issues since I got the vehicle and have spent thousands fixing it. Now at 84k miles on it me engine is knocking and ready to go. Nothing but Engine problems since Ive had it and other misc. things. The gas mileage is horrible. Everyone I've known that has owned a Cougar has had issues with the engine or transmission. Take my advice, buy a Honda.

Sunroof, Stereo, Sporty

Engine! Also the front grill is a pile.

Great but expensive car
By Brad

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got this car a few years ago, and while I absolutely love this car, parts for this car can be very expensive. For a headlamp assemble, new was $400 and used was $450, due to some 'national back order' of parts. A windshield was $500, four tires $290, and radiator $350. E-Bay though has been my friend with this car and has saved me hundreds. An alternator at Advanced Auto Parts cost $120, but on E-Bay I got one for $45 and that included shipping.

Great audio system, awesome handling, and massive trunk space.

Difficult to work on