2002 Mercury Cougar Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

2002 Cougar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Sort Reviews by

Worst car I ever owned
By dannj1

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport Ultimate 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

From the start, I had all sorts of issues with my car. Maybe I got a lemon, but I took care if it and followed the regular maintenance schedule, still had all sorts of costly issues. Radio, interior peeling despite armoral on a regular basis, This car is the one car that made me turn from Ford made products and buy a Toyota, and I'm a buy American type of person!

Favorite Features

liked the red on black seats and the stitching; the only thing that actually held up well in the car. The floormats also held up well.

Suggested Improvements

Better parts, get rid of the Firestone tires ASAP. The CD player in it eats CDs, always has. bottoms out, even in spots corvettes don't bottom out. Get aftermarket rims, the stock ones are costly to replace. Add more horsepower

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By cougarfanatic

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My cougar is the best car ever!! It is definitely a head turner. Its exterior is white with a red stripe. the interior is black and red. it is very fun to drive esp. in deep curves. it handles very well. This is not only a aprts car for girls!! I get approached by guys all the time about my car. I recently purchased this car for $1500. the previous owners thought that it needed a new computer. but once i got it home i noticed that the spark plugs were on wrong. lol so i got this great sexy car for cheap. i would give this car a 5 in every category but the back seat isn't to comfy. other than that this car is the best ever.!!!!

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

more space in the back seating area

2002 Merc Cougar - <3
By mielejam

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE my car. It is, for the most part, reliable. It has had its share of repairs, including alternator, rear wiper wiring, and is currently in the shop to have the transmission resealed. My moon roof stopped working while the alternator was going, but works just fine now. This car is in great shape for going on 9 years old, and is fun to drive. It gets decent gas mileage and has had no significant breaks until now. :)

Favorite Features

V-6, body style, interior (the car is built for a smaller person to drive. Being just over 5'2", I feel like the interior is designed for ME, whereas in other cars I feel like I am swimming in space and cannot comfortably see out of the car) & the name, Cougar, & name

Suggested Improvements

Electrical and transmission - those were rating poor on consumer reports and seem to hold true with my car.

I HATE my Cougar
By Lyssa

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Cougar with 62k miles on it. Ive had nothing but issues since I got the vehicle and have spent thousands fixing it. Now at 84k miles on it me engine is knocking and ready to go. Nothing but Engine problems since Ive had it and other misc. things. The gas mileage is horrible. Everyone I've known that has owned a Cougar has had issues with the engine or transmission. Take my advice, buy a Honda.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Stereo, Sporty

Suggested Improvements

Engine! Also the front grill is a pile.

Great but expensive car
By Brad

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got this car a few years ago, and while I absolutely love this car, parts for this car can be very expensive. For a headlamp assemble, new was $400 and used was $450, due to some 'national back order' of parts. A windshield was $500, four tires $290, and radiator $350. E-Bay though has been my friend with this car and has saved me hundreds. An alternator at Advanced Auto Parts cost $120, but on E-Bay I got one for $45 and that included shipping.

Favorite Features

Great audio system, awesome handling, and massive trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Difficult to work on

2002 mercury cougar v6 35th anv edt
By angela

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

well i bought this used just 5 months ago its a 2002 sport 35th sp ed of the cougar it only had 32000 miles when i got it in the 5 months i had it i have no 42000 miles on it and it already needed a new transmission!!! thank god i got a warrenty on it which paid for it but wasnt easy 4000.00 it was before that new tires and the car sits very low and feels EVERY bump pot holes not so good it is fun for me to drive goes fast i love it!

Favorite Features

the radio sounds great and sun roof is cool

Beautiful Cat
By Michael

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Notable information about the Cougar: -The engine was designed by Cosworth. They also design engines that go in formula one cars. Pretty respectable. -The Cougar introduced ford's new Edge design. Notable among this is that the cougar is a blend between American and European design. The hatchback styling is European, the high displacement high torque engine is american muscle. It was designed to be at home on the twisty nuburing. -Ford discontinued it because the Cougar dances around the Mustang. Ford wanted to sell Mustangs because they're in keeping with the all american Ford image. They also sold them for $20K more, the same thing was done to the Thunderbird. Twice.

Favorite Features

Appearance. It's seductive, predatory, aggressive, but still elegant. Performance. Handles better than anything but a true sports car such as a miata. It's faster than anything but a true sports car. I'd describe the car as feline- elegant, graceful, and lethal in all categories.

Suggested Improvements

If the Cougar were returned to production I'd be happy with that. However, I'd like to see a higher displacement engine. Also, if it were possible to improve visibility without compromising the aesthetic I'd appreciate that.

Cougar XR Type-S, Cosworth V-6
By Heather

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback Sport Ultimate 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

While trying to research specs about my car, I never seem to be able to find it. It "doesn't exist" according to almost everyone. Even when I needed a few parts to fix my car the computers at the auto shop didn't have my car on their list and couldn't help me. Why is this? Obviously my car exist or it wouldn't be parked in my driveway. My car is a 2002 Cougar XR Type S. It also has a V-6 cosworth engine in it unlike the base models and it was produced/manufactured by Auto Alliance, not Ford. My car also has the special black paint, hood scoop, spoiler, XR badges on the exterior. The interior has black & red leather seats with the cougar logo and XR logo carpets. Cont. in favorites.

Favorite Features

Also, my car is standard which I have not found one cougar that was standard besides mine(so far). Hood Scoop, black & red leather seats... just about everything, especially the seat adjustments (im a very short person). This car is the best car I've ever driven. And the handling is amazing!

Suggested Improvements

more information about my car.... also more upgrades available. I tried to put a super coil on my car which the site said it was the right part, tried to put it in, and the plugs didn't match. So I returned it and got another one that said it was the right part, and the plugs still didn't match.

Fun!
By AJ

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car. It is a blast to drive, especially on a windy road. Even though it is nearly 7 years old, it still looks and drives like new.

Favorite Features

The engine is incredible. Smooth, solid and strong.

Suggested Improvements

Not a great car for long trips (6 hours or more) - but great for every day commuting. Start making these again!

2002 Cougar V6 35th Anniversary Edition
By Qwerty

2002 Mercury Cougar Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

One of the best cars I've owned, easy fun to drive, got some power to it, would be nice if they could get a more powerful v6 in it

Favorite Features

sun roof, frameless windows, 6 cd changer, the leather seats and leather steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

new grill, maybe a different body kit.