Used 2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

I HATE my Cougar
By Lyssa

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Cougar with 62k miles on it. Ive had nothing but issues since I got the vehicle and have spent thousands fixing it. Now at 84k miles on it me engine is knocking and ready to go. Nothing but Engine problems since Ive had it and other misc. things. The gas mileage is horrible. Everyone I've known that has owned a Cougar has had issues with the engine or transmission. Take my advice, buy a Honda.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Stereo, Sporty

Suggested Improvements

Engine! Also the front grill is a pile.

Beautiful Cat
By Michael

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Notable information about the Cougar: -The engine was designed by Cosworth. They also design engines that go in formula one cars. Pretty respectable. -The Cougar introduced ford's new Edge design. Notable among this is that the cougar is a blend between American and European design. The hatchback styling is European, the high displacement high torque engine is american muscle. It was designed to be at home on the twisty nuburing. -Ford discontinued it because the Cougar dances around the Mustang. Ford wanted to sell Mustangs because they're in keeping with the all american Ford image. They also sold them for $20K more, the same thing was done to the Thunderbird. Twice.

Favorite Features

Appearance. It's seductive, predatory, aggressive, but still elegant. Performance. Handles better than anything but a true sports car such as a miata. It's faster than anything but a true sports car. I'd describe the car as feline- elegant, graceful, and lethal in all categories.

Suggested Improvements

If the Cougar were returned to production I'd be happy with that. However, I'd like to see a higher displacement engine. Also, if it were possible to improve visibility without compromising the aesthetic I'd appreciate that.

Ann's car
By Ann marie

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is wonderful, I haven't regretted buying it. I got into an accident, and it was pretty bad, and my car came out perfect. The structure on my 2002 stayed strong, and it's comfort it perfect.

Favorite Features

The interior is the best, I love my car.

the car
By mark stahlnecker

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

great car, great ride, great price.

Favorite Features

interior

Suggested Improvements

more head room in the back