2002 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Worst car I ever owned
By dannj1 on 08/15/13 11:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Ultimate 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

From the start, I had all sorts of issues with my car. Maybe I got a lemon, but I took care if it and followed the regular maintenance schedule, still had all sorts of costly issues. Radio, interior peeling despite armoral on a regular basis, This car is the one car that made me turn from Ford made products and buy a Toyota, and I'm a buy American type of person!

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By cougarfanatic on 10/02/11 15:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My cougar is the best car ever!! It is definitely a head turner. Its exterior is white with a red stripe. the interior is black and red. it is very fun to drive esp. in deep curves. it handles very well. This is not only a aprts car for girls!! I get approached by guys all the time about my car. I recently purchased this car for $1500. the previous owners thought that it needed a new computer. but once i got it home i noticed that the spark plugs were on wrong. lol so i got this great sexy car for cheap. i would give this car a 5 in every category but the back seat isn't to comfy. other than that this car is the best ever.!!!!

2002 Merc Cougar - <3
By mielejam on 12/15/10 09:07 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE my car. It is, for the most part, reliable. It has had its share of repairs, including alternator, rear wiper wiring, and is currently in the shop to have the transmission resealed. My moon roof stopped working while the alternator was going, but works just fine now. This car is in great shape for going on 9 years old, and is fun to drive. It gets decent gas mileage and has had no significant breaks until now. :)

I HATE my Cougar
By Lyssa on 07/08/10 06:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Cougar with 62k miles on it. Ive had nothing but issues since I got the vehicle and have spent thousands fixing it. Now at 84k miles on it me engine is knocking and ready to go. Nothing but Engine problems since Ive had it and other misc. things. The gas mileage is horrible. Everyone I've known that has owned a Cougar has had issues with the engine or transmission. Take my advice, buy a Honda.

Great but expensive car
By Brad on 05/25/10 09:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got this car a few years ago, and while I absolutely love this car, parts for this car can be very expensive. For a headlamp assemble, new was $400 and used was $450, due to some 'national back order' of parts. A windshield was $500, four tires $290, and radiator $350. E-Bay though has been my friend with this car and has saved me hundreds. An alternator at Advanced Auto Parts cost $120, but on E-Bay I got one for $45 and that included shipping.

2002 mercury cougar v6 35th anv edt
By angela on 04/22/10 17:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

well i bought this used just 5 months ago its a 2002 sport 35th sp ed of the cougar it only had 32000 miles when i got it in the 5 months i had it i have no 42000 miles on it and it already needed a new transmission!!! thank god i got a warrenty on it which paid for it but wasnt easy 4000.00 it was before that new tires and the car sits very low and feels EVERY bump pot holes not so good it is fun for me to drive goes fast i love it!

Beautiful Cat
By Michael on 03/27/10 10:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Notable information about the Cougar: -The engine was designed by Cosworth. They also design engines that go in formula one cars. Pretty respectable. -The Cougar introduced ford's new Edge design. Notable among this is that the cougar is a blend between American and European design. The hatchback styling is European, the high displacement high torque engine is american muscle. It was designed to be at home on the twisty nuburing. -Ford discontinued it because the Cougar dances around the Mustang. Ford wanted to sell Mustangs because they're in keeping with the all american Ford image. They also sold them for $20K more, the same thing was done to the Thunderbird. Twice.

Cougar XR Type-S, Cosworth V-6
By Heather on 02/03/10 10:44 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Cougar Sport Ultimate 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

While trying to research specs about my car, I never seem to be able to find it. It "doesn't exist" according to almost everyone. Even when I needed a few parts to fix my car the computers at the auto shop didn't have my car on their list and couldn't help me. Why is this? Obviously my car exist or it wouldn't be parked in my driveway. My car is a 2002 Cougar XR Type S. It also has a V-6 cosworth engine in it unlike the base models and it was produced/manufactured by Auto Alliance, not Ford. My car also has the special black paint, hood scoop, spoiler, XR badges on the exterior. The interior has black & red leather seats with the cougar logo and XR logo carpets. Cont. in favorites.

Fun!
By AJ on 09/01/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car. It is a blast to drive, especially on a windy road. Even though it is nearly 7 years old, it still looks and drives like new.

2002 Cougar V6 35th Anniversary Edition
By Qwerty on 07/14/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

One of the best cars I've owned, easy fun to drive, got some power to it, would be nice if they could get a more powerful v6 in it