This Cougar LOVES her Cougar!
By alznwonderland on
2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)
I bought my Cougar in 2003 with 19,000 miles on it. 88,000 miles later, I have had to sink about $2,000 in her. But for me, she is worth it. I get compliments all the time about how cool looking this car is. I have replaced the computer, brakes, and most recently, the coil. I was having problems with surging, a gulping or missing action when I accelerated and my mechanic couldn't figure out what the problem was. I found that in 2004, the fuel module had been recalled and was effective to have it replaced until October, 2011. It was at that time the seviceman told me the coil is what was causing the "missing" affect. I had a friend replace it for $70.00. Runs like new again! I love this car!
Favorite Features
Love the way this car looks on the outside. Very racey and when clean, the black really makes her look wild! The interior quality has lasted all these years even with two kids going in and out of it continously. Still looks brand new inside. Now that my kids are grown, I drive my grandchildren around in it and they love it too! Even the crossing guard at their school thinks that this car is the coolest looking car in the lot! It was love at first sight when I saw this car in the parking lot at the dealership....and still is!
Suggested Improvements
For over one year now, I have been driving with an engine problem that two mechanics could not figure out. When it got to the point that I really thought the car was going to quit running, I had just about given up and was about to junk it. Then, a friend of mine did some research on-line and found that there had been a recall on this year in 2004 for the fule module. I brought it into the dealer only to be told that although they would replace the fule module, my problem would still continue. Turns out it was a coil that needed replacement. I picked up the part at an automotive store for $70.00 and my friend replaced it for me. My car runs like brand new again. Love this car.