2001 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Never again
By illstickwithmopar on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

True this vehicle may be a blast to drive but the design quality of this car leaves tons to be desired. First off the fuel injectors are of poor quality having had one go out about a month after I had bought the car. The body molding especially on the front bumper was put together by 3yr olds, not to mention all the recalls that were involved. I would expect better quality and reliability from a new model.

Sweet!
By IndyCougar on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I was initially hesistant to purchase this car but, all it took was one short test drive and I was sold! A little weak on power in the V6 but, the handling and other performance enhancements more than make up for that. Great ride, great handling and decent power, not too mention striking, "ahead of its time" looks!

Great fun and sporty Car
By modette on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got my 2001 Cougar ZN just over a year ago and I got 20K mile salready on my car. Its a great car that makes driving fun. HP could be at least 200HP but 170HP is not bad at all in it. I have the following options: 5-speed, ZN Package, ABS, 6-disc indash cd changer, power drivers seat, 17" rims. My friends have driven my Cougar and all love it. Car also gets 30mph on the Interstate if your not at 140mph and actually do the speed limit ;-)

lemon law should apply
By Cougarowner on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Overall I am displeased with this model. The mercury gods could have put a little more than 170hp under the hood, but what this car lacks in power, It sure makes up for in handling!! Semi- smooth ride, Has it's Corvette like qualities, Corners on rails! I once made a 80 deg. turn at 65 mph in a 4 wheel drift, She went right where I wanted her to just by hitting or letting off the gas. However, Things are not all well in the Cougar stable. The 99 Cougar allong with select 2001's are having PCM programing problems. Causing hesitation in 1st and 2nd gears. Replacement of the PCM chip will determine which gear this problem will show up in.

coolest car
By ROBAK1 on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

overall its a brill car and so fun to live with!! :-)

Better than the Edmunds Review!
By ksuwildcat001 on 03/10/02 12:54 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have to disagree with the Edmunds review. I bought a fully loaded 2001 C2 Cougar and I couldn't be happier with it. The interior is extremely comfortable and very well laid out with each to use controls. No problems so far and I already have 10,000 miles on my Cat. Very comfortable car to drive long distances, handles great, and stops on a dime. I highly recommend the Cougar to anyone looking for a sporty car.

Rabs 2001 Cougar
By Rab5862 on 02/28/02 16:27 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is an excellent car with good handling. Bit short on power but alot of fun to drive.

Excellent Vehicle!!!
By Estranged on 02/26/02 00:41 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got my custom V6 manual in Feb01. It's custom 'cause I got convenience package + ABS brks. It's very fun to drive (both the stick and auto). Transmsn is designed/made in Germany and it shows! A very european car, with a huge trunk. The biggest plus of this car is handling. It has a computer: "temperature outside", "average speed", "mpg", and best of all "miles before empty tank". I'd also say that chicks dig the car - one made me roll down my window on the hiway to say how cool my car was.