2001 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews 4

2001 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Gorgeous car
By Wr85H on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my cougar just over a year ago and have had not a single problem. I have the ZN package and everyone takes a second look at this car. Excellent cornering and braking with the 17" tires. Interior is great looking for a car of this price.

EXCELLENT CAR FOR THE $$$
By ANTHONYN925 on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

BETTER THAN THE FORD MUSTANG. YOU REALLY DON'T SEE THAT MANY OF THEM ON THE ROAD, SO WHEN YOU DO, PEOPLE STARE ALITTLE LONGER AT THE 2001 COUGAR.

The Cougar Curse is here as well.
By clayman on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Loved my cougar when I got it.Parents wanted a good car that could handle LOTS of miles for when I left for college(I drive back and forth from Norman Oklahoma (Go Sooners!),sometimes twice a month, the car is a little over 2 years old, and has 87,000 on it)At 11k, brakes where bad, 34k new transmission put in, week later the drivers side window stopped.CD player skips like mad.Trunk pop still does not work.At 60k ,transmission replaced again. 6 months ago,the door handle on the pass side broke.I constantly find nuts and bolts on the floor of the car, from diffrent places in the dash.

Great car
By j193079 on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great car. I have enjoyed everything about it. It has 56,000 miles and has never had to be worked on.

MY CAT
By nrt on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE IT IT IS SAFE ON ROAD,AND GOOD FOR SPEEDING.

Fun to drive
By philly79 on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is loads of fun to drive. The pickup is lacking slightly but you can definitely get it cruising. The handling is excellent and the hatchback is key. I just hope that some of the horror stories I've read regarding reliability aren't true.

The Car I LOVE & HATE
By melifluffy on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Cougar brand spanking new and I thought it was the best thing I had ever done. For about 10,000 miles I loved my car and then my car became a regular at the Mercury dealer's repair shop. I have had many many problems including bad breaks, a faulty gas gage, a malfunctioning fuel pump, alternator, leaking windows (which have yet to be fixed after 4 trips to the dealer), and lately my power windows have refused to go up or down. I will never recommend this car to anyone and I personally will never buy a car in the Ford/Mercury line ever again. Although my car is beautiful to look at, beauty doesn't keep this car running and/or out of the shop.

This Cat's a Dog, but I Love it Anyway
By B. Grimms on 04/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Some owners seem anxious to complain about their Cougar; maybe I've just had good luck. Other than the Duratec leaving something to be desired, I couldn't be much happier. After test driving a Celica, Eclipse, and other coupes, I decided on this domestic V6. I've been impressed by its handling, comfort, and interior design. The pick-up is tepid, however, and I felt compelled to replace the obviously fake scoop. I chose the Zn, but customized most of the special features anyway. I'm not sure I'd go with yellow again, but it's easy to spot in a parking lot. Until I have my midlife crisis, kids or both, I'm planning on enjoying this car for awhile.

Good & Bad
By jm3115 on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought as my first NEW car right out of college - within a year lost the master cylinder while driving - NO BRAKES!! Lots of problems with 6 CD changer/radio too - replaced twice. Depending on terrain, mileage ranges from 15-26 mpg. Overall - satisfied 1st car. Wouldn't do it again if I had to do over.

I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER MERCURY/ FORD
By xrpmnkwx on 03/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I HAVE A 2001 ZN. I LOVED THE CAR WHEN I FIRST GOT IT. I LOVE THE STYLE AND LOOK OF IT. THEN ALL THE PROBLEMS STARTED. MAJOR MOTOR TAP AT 20,000 MILES THEY REPLACED THE MOTOR AFTER ALL THE HASSEL THEY PUT ME THROUGH. 2 WEEKS LATER TRANSMISION WENT. 2 MONTHS LATER LOST 2ND GEAR AND THE TRANS WAS REBUILT. NOW AT 36,000 IT HESITATES THROUGH ALL THE GEARS. I CANT GO OVER 3000 RPM WITHOUT IT BUCKING AND HESITATING. I ACTUALLY CANT STAND THE CAR ANYMORE. PROBLEM AFTER PROBLEM IT'S REDICIULOUS!!!!!