Used 2001 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Great starter car.
By Enos

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new to ride in college and have enjoyed it quite a bit in the 6 years I have owned it. I had a problem with the exhaust within the first year and the part was recalled I think. Since Ford payed for the replacement and I have had no problems since, I am quite satisfied. I find the car to be one of the most comfortable I have ever driven but I am a bit short at 5'7" 170 pounds. It's definitly not meant for bigger people. The steering radius leaves a little to be desired and if you stick to the factory recomended tires, they can be quite expensive to replace. Those aside, I am very happy with the purchase and recomend it to anyone who isn't under 5'10" 250 pounds.

Favorite Features

Smooth acceration. Suspension rarely needs service. Perfect acoustics for aftermarket stereo equipment.

Suggested Improvements

More back seat head room. Better turning radius. Large rear blind spot. Bring back the V-8.

Tough little car
By barry

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very economical to drive. Not just the mileage, but also maintenance and repairs (which have been few) FYI it does have a recalled fuel pump, which I haven't taken care of bacause problems don't surface if you keep the tank over half full --- that's easier than keeping it in the dealership for an entire day;

Favorite Features

Decent looking and dirt cheap to own

Suggested Improvements

Put the trunk latch release in a better position so that it doesn't get pushed accidentally upon entering the car

sick car
By CougarFiend

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

i just bought my cougar and it's sickkkkk,,, i got it for $1800 at a auction and i paid $700 for repairs!! ive been driving for about 3 months and its purrfectt, love it

Favorite Features

plan to get a cold air intake and a nice sound system (i got the built in 6-CD-changer)

I Love It
By TheJew

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

he I4 is awesome, plenty of power, and easy to upgrade, same engine as ZX2 and SVT. Lots of aftermarket parts available. I bought it with 74K miles on it, and it still gets an impressive 27mpg in the city and around 30mpg on the highway. I upgraded the rims & tires, and added a Cold Air Intake, Aftermaket exhaust, throttebody spacer, and new plugs with NoLogy spark plug wires. Previous owner had already put Koni Gas Shocks on it. It now Dyno's out at 235whp, and 220tq at the wheels.

Favorite Features

The Whole Car! It sleek, low, and just lots of fun to drive! Controls are all easy to access!

Suggested Improvements

Standard Rear windshield wiper. Better Tail Lights..those bubble things are horrid, and no one makes an aftermarket replacement.

I love my Cougar!
By Simone

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Cougar, ordered the 1999 sight unseen & was so happy with it that I leased the 2001. Then the lease expired & Mercury stopped making these so I BOUGHT it & have not been sorry a day. Excellent performance, have only had to replace tires, nothing else. Wish Ford would bring them back, so sporty & sharp looking!

Favorite Features

The body style

Suggested Improvements

Start making them again.