2001 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
A well built vehicle
By Joseph on 09/07/06 17:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my Cougar private in May 2002. The vehicle had only 15,000km and was like new. Accident free, and maintained excellent. I have had very few problems with this vehicle in the last 4 years. Although I feel I had to replace the tires quite early into it's life. My new tires are better than the originals. Not so fast when you take off, but the Cougar gains it momentum quickly into it's take off. But yes, it could have used a bit more power. Styling is great, adn more than enough interior space for the 2 front passengers. The car had huge potential, and it's a huge shame it's life has been ended. Overall, a great car.

Sweet Ride! Excellent Vehicle.
By Drathon on 08/29/06 23:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for almost six months now; and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. Pickup in first gear was a little slow, until I installed a short air intake, and new perfomance muffler; now this car has excellent acceleration. The 5 speed manual transmission is perfect, I love the shift. Exterior of the car is awesome, and interior is nice too. My only major problem has been my sunroof. It was supposed to have been replaced before I bought the car HA! It's not any better than the old one, it still leaks. Very aggravating to come out to your car after a rain, and get soaked as you drive down the road. Overall, I love the car to drive, but, being a Ford, it does have problems.

Transmission Trouble
By Sue on 03/14/06 13:37 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I had to review my car after reading all of these reviews. I love my car's styling, but it's NOT the most reliable car Ford ever made. My transmission went out at 92,000 mi. Looks like there's more people with the same trouble. I've replaced tires several times and a rim that was dented from the low ride. I'm buying a Focus next time.

middle of the road
By A Driver on 02/17/06 00:56 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Although performance doesn 't close to match the looks of the car, its been very dependable. A little over 60k and no problems, however ergonomics leave much to desire (why can't I shift if my passenger is fiddling with the radio?) and the steering is soooooo stiff. I'm not sure who this car is made for since I find the dash too high and seat too low and my husband doesn't have enough head room. In general, the seats are really uncomfortable.

Palm Springs to Highway 15 Drive
By Indio to Idlewild on 08/03/05 23:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

... the Cougar V6 performed quite well over the pass (zero to 4500 ft) from Palm Springs to Idlewild to Highway 15 up to Hemet. I had driven the Celica GT, Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and Lexus SC300 as well on this route. Fuel economy was impressive the whole trip. Overall good value domestic sports coupe.

Transmission Blowout
By Karlina Dunston on 03/18/05 20:12 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I own a Mercury Cougar and it has 58,000 miles on it. I always got the car serviced at the dealer, and the transmission went out on me with no signs. It just went out at 58,000 miles.

almost purrrrfect
By nmgprincess on 11/17/04 19:57 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

love to drive. could do without bucking when sensors need replaced, which seems to often. would like to have better gas mileage.

Bought Used
By Mr x on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love my new car, I know its a bit early and I've only driven her about 50 miles... I can say it can hold up over a few years unlike other Ford products. If the car is well kept it always looks modern and sporty, I armor all every 200 miles, so far it drives great although sometimes the open door buzz goes a little too long, build quality is very solid and the steering wheel is awsome compared to most cars,because it has a heavy "meaty" feel to it, I am a teen and I can say the little features along with over all quality is a perfect match. The car is cheep in terms of its type, its out of production but has ons of parts so it will always look good. gas mileage is about 25 mpg highway.

The Good, Bad and Ugly
By Jakesmommy1 on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car on October 31 2001. I loved this car until the engine, in 2003, decided to blow up on me going down the freeway. I had the oil changed every 500 miles and it still blew up. Now $5500.00 later, they took the cougar off the market to put in a mustang engine to replace the old one. The steering column came apart, the back seat is not meant for taller people. The trunk doesn't open unless you lift up on it, as you turn the key or push the button.There was a recall on a fuel pump part, which causes the hesitation in the get up in go! NOT A GOOD CAR IF YOU HAVE A BABY!!!

Don't buy it with big kids!
By Superhawk5 on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it new and have had only two problems, the drivers seat belt wouldn't latch, dealer fixed it on warranty. I got some bad gas, three tanks of gas fixed it just like the owners manual said. I don't understand "the engine could use a little more oomph", my wife beat a Nissan 350 Z when she was going to the store. Awesome cornering capability. Keep the Firehawks on it, I got more than 80K miles out of the first set. Mileage exactly what the sticker said. Great value. Didn't get my son to sit in the back before I bought it. First drive in it, he hit his head on the hatchback window. At the time he was 14 and about 5'6". Now he will not sit in back.