Used 2001 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Despite problems, I love this car
By mu4120

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I rolled this car off the lot with 22 miles on it and nearly 7 years and 139,000 miles later I am still driving it. The transmission did go out around 64,00 and the fuel pump was replaced (both under warranty). Other than normal wear and tear, this car is great. People still compliment me on it, and I love to drive it. However I hate how small the backseat is. I now have two kids and it's way too small, but we deal with it. I wish it took off faster and the mileage isn't real great - in my opinion. However it does the job and looks great and gets me from point A to point B. I hate buying tires because they are expensive with the 17 inch rims. But I still love the car, regardless.

Roomy front seats, nice exterior, love the ZN package, huge(!) trunk, and always gets attention

Faster take off, better fuel mileage, larger back seat, and lots and lots of lights to replace when they go out

I'd buy it again.
By nice kitty

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

First off this is not a drag car, a good number of the newer cars will stomp this one in the quarter. This car does however love carving the curves. Feels pretty solid on the road. Does well in the snow, sits a little low so watch the ice boulders in the road. Seat holds the passengers well. Back seat is made for small people.

Overall the driving fun of it. I love taking the curves faster then some "faster" cars, sure they got me on the straights. Decent stock sounds. Ton of room in the hatch.

I really dislike the position of the center concole cubby. When driving I have a hard time opening it and grabbing something. Might be because of my shoulder problem. Another improvement, bring it back...

Wife's Car!
By Tony & Lana C

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have had this car since 2001 and it has had no problems. Minor things that regular maint takes care of. It is not for a person over 5'6" to drive and don't think of putting avg size people in the back seats. Other than that we love the V-6 and the power it gives on the highway. I'd buy another one.

Engine and body styling

Center compartment is a little shaky.

Great First Time Car
By cougar1

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am still young and this car was purchased as my first car. it has done very well drives nice and very reliable. on the downside the "sports car" look and the fact that my car is red attracts the police attention.

Sporty look, seats, cougar emblem

What Happened?
By oh so sad...

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 2001 Cougar, shes beautiful! But please, be careful. Mine only had 70k miles on it, I took it for a 500 mile trip to Canada, and the engine blew up on the way home. Absolutely no warning signs, my warning lamps and gauges didnt show anything. The engine started making a knocking noise, we pulled over and the oil and belts were smoking, and the radiator fluid had boiled out. It was towed, and I was told I needed a new engine. I have found more and more people with the same problem. Due to an engine defect, the head gaskets leak, and allow water into the oil. A bearing in my engine literally disintegrated because of the heat and friction this condition caused.

I still love my car, but I can't be constantly worried about blowing another engine.

No more engine defects