2001 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Despite problems, I love this car
By mu4120 on 03/09/08 13:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I rolled this car off the lot with 22 miles on it and nearly 7 years and 139,000 miles later I am still driving it. The transmission did go out around 64,00 and the fuel pump was replaced (both under warranty). Other than normal wear and tear, this car is great. People still compliment me on it, and I love to drive it. However I hate how small the backseat is. I now have two kids and it's way too small, but we deal with it. I wish it took off faster and the mileage isn't real great - in my opinion. However it does the job and looks great and gets me from point A to point B. I hate buying tires because they are expensive with the 17 inch rims. But I still love the car, regardless.

I'd buy it again.
By nice kitty on 02/13/08 16:58 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

First off this is not a drag car, a good number of the newer cars will stomp this one in the quarter. This car does however love carving the curves. Feels pretty solid on the road. Does well in the snow, sits a little low so watch the ice boulders in the road. Seat holds the passengers well. Back seat is made for small people.

Wife's Car!
By Tony & Lana C on 01/21/08 06:05 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have had this car since 2001 and it has had no problems. Minor things that regular maint takes care of. It is not for a person over 5'6" to drive and don't think of putting avg size people in the back seats. Other than that we love the V-6 and the power it gives on the highway. I'd buy another one.

Great First Time Car
By cougar1 on 08/06/07 11:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am still young and this car was purchased as my first car. it has done very well drives nice and very reliable. on the downside the "sports car" look and the fact that my car is red attracts the police attention.

What Happened?
By oh so sad... on 07/30/07 09:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 2001 Cougar, shes beautiful! But please, be careful. Mine only had 70k miles on it, I took it for a 500 mile trip to Canada, and the engine blew up on the way home. Absolutely no warning signs, my warning lamps and gauges didnt show anything. The engine started making a knocking noise, we pulled over and the oil and belts were smoking, and the radiator fluid had boiled out. It was towed, and I was told I needed a new engine. I have found more and more people with the same problem. Due to an engine defect, the head gaskets leak, and allow water into the oil. A bearing in my engine literally disintegrated because of the heat and friction this condition caused.

Great starter car.
By Enos on 06/14/07 17:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new to ride in college and have enjoyed it quite a bit in the 6 years I have owned it. I had a problem with the exhaust within the first year and the part was recalled I think. Since Ford payed for the replacement and I have had no problems since, I am quite satisfied. I find the car to be one of the most comfortable I have ever driven but I am a bit short at 5'7" 170 pounds. It's definitly not meant for bigger people. The steering radius leaves a little to be desired and if you stick to the factory recomended tires, they can be quite expensive to replace. Those aside, I am very happy with the purchase and recomend it to anyone who isn't under 5'10" 250 pounds.

Tough little car
By barry on 06/06/07 13:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very economical to drive. Not just the mileage, but also maintenance and repairs (which have been few) FYI it does have a recalled fuel pump, which I haven't taken care of bacause problems don't surface if you keep the tank over half full --- that's easier than keeping it in the dealership for an entire day;

sick car
By CougarFiend on 02/24/07 16:41 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

i just bought my cougar and it's sickkkkk,,, i got it for $1800 at a auction and i paid $700 for repairs!! ive been driving for about 3 months and its purrfectt, love it

I Love It
By TheJew on 12/21/06 17:55 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

he I4 is awesome, plenty of power, and easy to upgrade, same engine as ZX2 and SVT. Lots of aftermarket parts available. I bought it with 74K miles on it, and it still gets an impressive 27mpg in the city and around 30mpg on the highway. I upgraded the rims & tires, and added a Cold Air Intake, Aftermaket exhaust, throttebody spacer, and new plugs with NoLogy spark plug wires. Previous owner had already put Koni Gas Shocks on it. It now Dyno's out at 235whp, and 220tq at the wheels.

I love my Cougar!
By Simone on 09/27/06 09:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Cougar, ordered the 1999 sight unseen & was so happy with it that I leased the 2001. Then the lease expired & Mercury stopped making these so I BOUGHT it & have not been sorry a day. Excellent performance, have only had to replace tires, nothing else. Wish Ford would bring them back, so sporty & sharp looking!