Used 2001 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

This Cougar LOVES her Cougar!
By alznwonderland

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Cougar in 2003 with 19,000 miles on it. 88,000 miles later, I have had to sink about $2,000 in her. But for me, she is worth it. I get compliments all the time about how cool looking this car is. I have replaced the computer, brakes, and most recently, the coil. I was having problems with surging, a gulping or missing action when I accelerated and my mechanic couldn't figure out what the problem was. I found that in 2004, the fuel module had been recalled and was effective to have it replaced until October, 2011. It was at that time the seviceman told me the coil is what was causing the "missing" affect. I had a friend replace it for $70.00. Runs like new again! I love this car!

Love the way this car looks on the outside. Very racey and when clean, the black really makes her look wild! The interior quality has lasted all these years even with two kids going in and out of it continously. Still looks brand new inside. Now that my kids are grown, I drive my grandchildren around in it and they love it too! Even the crossing guard at their school thinks that this car is the coolest looking car in the lot! It was love at first sight when I saw this car in the parking lot at the dealership....and still is!

For over one year now, I have been driving with an engine problem that two mechanics could not figure out. When it got to the point that I really thought the car was going to quit running, I had just about given up and was about to junk it. Then, a friend of mine did some research on-line and found that there had been a recall on this year in 2004 for the fule module. I brought it into the dealer only to be told that although they would replace the fule module, my problem would still continue. Turns out it was a coil that needed replacement. I picked up the part at an automotive store for $70.00 and my friend replaced it for me. My car runs like brand new again. Love this car.

Driving it til' it dies
By Love my cougar

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my car 6 years ago for an awesome price from a friend. A couple car dealers, and mechanics told me that it was not a smart choice, had electrical problems, etc. I was hesitant and nervous I would be fixing it a lot, but I still couldn't pass up the price. Six years later, I have put nothing more than basic wear and tear money into it. It is by far the best car I have ever owned! Wouldn't trade it for the world! So glad now that I made the right choice!

Gas mileage, Exterior and interior style, fun to drive

More room in back seats

worst car ive owned
By prpcpd

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

will never buy another ford again. be ready to drop alot of money on repairs. everytime car hits the shop(which was often), be ready to spend at least $1000. tires are ridiculous, and mpg sucks (i got 15.6).

none

redesign everything

A pretty AMAZING car!
By cwe005

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It's a 2001 Mercury Cougar ZN. Its got close to 150,000 mi, and its a precision build machine! Like everyone says, it doesn't have a whole lot of power but the fact that it weighs close to 3500 lbs doesn't help either. It's amazing to drive. Corners like a beast, brakes like a beast, looks like a beast. It's a ZN, and it's had routine things go wrong with it (water pump, burnt out blinker bulbs, CD got stuck, transmission rebuilt) Its still amazing to drive though, on smooth pavement it rides like its on a cloud. 17" rims mean tires are CRAZY expensive, but they make the car look amazing though! This is the sportiest daily driver you can have. But never get over 3K rpm, because I get 15 MPG

leather wrapped steering wheel, metal pedals, sunroof, 6 CD player(when it worked), 6(?) way power drivers seat,

WAY more HP, bigger back seat, room for taller profile tires. That's about it..

Great on gas but a MONEY PIT
By richie19r

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it with 79k for my wife in 98. Has 112k now. Car looks great outside, inside is a little small. I don't know what everyone is talking about with the gas, i average 35 mpg going 60, and about 32 mpg going 70. so far, replaced both rear shocks, fuel pump, both timing chains, water pump, plugs, wires, all 4 brakes. Now I have about 3 different noises coming from the car, in which all i can't find. I'm tired of dropping money into it. As soon as something is fixed, something else needs fixed. I don't recommend it to anyone that can't work on cars!!

love the gas mileage, and the exterior styling

doesn't matter because it's gone now, but better quality engine/transmission parts. Thing breaks constantly. More backseat space, and a normal transmission, not one that shifts when it wants and wanders all the time.