2001 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
This Cougar LOVES her Cougar!
By alznwonderland on 05/17/11 09:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Cougar in 2003 with 19,000 miles on it. 88,000 miles later, I have had to sink about $2,000 in her. But for me, she is worth it. I get compliments all the time about how cool looking this car is. I have replaced the computer, brakes, and most recently, the coil. I was having problems with surging, a gulping or missing action when I accelerated and my mechanic couldn't figure out what the problem was. I found that in 2004, the fuel module had been recalled and was effective to have it replaced until October, 2011. It was at that time the seviceman told me the coil is what was causing the "missing" affect. I had a friend replace it for $70.00. Runs like new again! I love this car!

Driving it til' it dies
By Love my cougar on 06/23/10 12:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my car 6 years ago for an awesome price from a friend. A couple car dealers, and mechanics told me that it was not a smart choice, had electrical problems, etc. I was hesitant and nervous I would be fixing it a lot, but I still couldn't pass up the price. Six years later, I have put nothing more than basic wear and tear money into it. It is by far the best car I have ever owned! Wouldn't trade it for the world! So glad now that I made the right choice!

worst car ive owned
By prpcpd on 05/10/10 10:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

will never buy another ford again. be ready to drop alot of money on repairs. everytime car hits the shop(which was often), be ready to spend at least $1000. tires are ridiculous, and mpg sucks (i got 15.6).

A pretty AMAZING car!
By cwe005 on 04/21/10 15:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It's a 2001 Mercury Cougar ZN. Its got close to 150,000 mi, and its a precision build machine! Like everyone says, it doesn't have a whole lot of power but the fact that it weighs close to 3500 lbs doesn't help either. It's amazing to drive. Corners like a beast, brakes like a beast, looks like a beast. It's a ZN, and it's had routine things go wrong with it (water pump, burnt out blinker bulbs, CD got stuck, transmission rebuilt) Its still amazing to drive though, on smooth pavement it rides like its on a cloud. 17" rims mean tires are CRAZY expensive, but they make the car look amazing though! This is the sportiest daily driver you can have. But never get over 3K rpm, because I get 15 MPG

Great on gas but a MONEY PIT
By richie19r on 04/08/10 15:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it with 79k for my wife in 98. Has 112k now. Car looks great outside, inside is a little small. I don't know what everyone is talking about with the gas, i average 35 mpg going 60, and about 32 mpg going 70. so far, replaced both rear shocks, fuel pump, both timing chains, water pump, plugs, wires, all 4 brakes. Now I have about 3 different noises coming from the car, in which all i can't find. I'm tired of dropping money into it. As soon as something is fixed, something else needs fixed. I don't recommend it to anyone that can't work on cars!!

Milage of a GeoMetro
By Newbie on 03/05/09 14:47 PM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I get the Gas milage of a metro but the look of a cougar. I get a amazing 38MPG on the highway and 35 in town. You cant beat it. Stock as a rock with a homebuilt cold air intake. Using a K&N filter off of a V8 Mustang. Works awesome. I only have 80K and it runs great. Absolutely no complaints about the dravability.

Its a Tank...
By 2carguy on 02/26/09 00:40 AM (PST)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just you all know this car was pass on to me after my mom passed on last year. So far the cougar has been great to me. Although its a gas guzzler and thats do to it being we 2 tons. To me its a girls car but it was my moms so i drive it and plus it only has 33,000 on it. Pretty good for a 2001. The cougar is my second ride and so far its been fun. I see so many cougar lately on the road but i never see the one like mine. My cougar has added features that was being put on the 2002.

2001 Mercury Cougar 2.5L V-6
By CelicaTuner on 09/19/08 13:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 71,000 miles in summer of 07. Looks really sleek. Has a fun look to it. Gas mileage is decent. I average around 24mpg city/highway. The transmission rotted through at around 80000 miles costing me $1,300. The sunroof failed to operate at around 82,000 miles. This car is a looker. Many compliments recieved. I wash and wax every weekend if possible.

Mercery Cougar
By Kate8989 on 07/30/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Cougar brand new in 2001. Now in 2008 it only has 72,000 miles. In 04 I did start having small problems with the fuel pump. These problems came and went for a couple years. nothing to big until this year my fuel pump went out but I was happy to find when I took it in to the dealership it was under recall so it didn't cost me a dime to repair. Although now I have a problem with the oil pan leaking then burning to make small clouds of white smoke. I took it in to be fixed which is about 12 dollars for the oil pan but since the engine sits on top of the pan it would cost about 3000 to fix all together! Other than that I have had no problems with the car, I love it!

What Is The Mileage Expectancy?
By Jocelyn on 04/23/08 12:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercury Cougar 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've enjoyed my Cougar. I replaced the transmission at about 60,000 miles but it was my fault it messed up. I'm more interested in the mileage expectancy of a 2001 Mercury Cougar? Mine has 96,500 and Im having to drive from Tennessee to Ohio about once a month and wonder how long that will last?

1 2 3 4 5 next »