2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Just a Lemon
By cougar on 06/22/06 02:45 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I loved this car when I first got it. Now as I review it I actually ran out of space I can use. The list or things wrong: 6 alternators, air only works on high, sunroof will not go back only up, fuel system replaced, engine light stays on, lights inside and outside dim when you turn the radio on or air on, you can hear the motor of the air/heater when you first turn it on. I have taken good care of this car only those Ford parts have been used with them installing the parts. I was upside down in payments after the first 3 yrs so I couldn't trade it in. I would not sell this care to anyone-seriously. I looked it to the lemon law but the warranty had expired on the car.

No Surprise They Stopped Making These
By Tony on 02/18/06 09:31 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I factory ordered this car in 2000 with every option except leather and the moonroof. I had warranty problems from day one and gave this car to my daughter after 3 years of frustration. It is going on alternator #5 in only 65,000 miles and we will soon dump this car for a used Honda. Nice looking car, fun to drive, but beware!!

Lots of fun
By CougarLover on 08/24/05 10:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought the cougar for my wife, and she loves it. It is sporty and very fun to drive, she rarely lets me behind the wheel. We have had 0 problems, we have not even had a problem with the fuel pump yet. ***Knock on wood*** I have had a blast with this vehicle and the silver looks fantastic. I only wish it had a moon/sun roof. But I bought used so I got what was there.

Not for what you think your getting!!
By usarfilly on 08/09/05 12:37 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my car after my deployment to Iraq...and I wanted something sporty- Which I got, but not much else. Major issue is the engine build. Your engine light goes on for unknown reasons and after fixed comes right back on. I've replaces the alternator once and now have had trouble with the starter and the fly-wheel. So my engine sometimes doesn't start. Labor on these cars is outragious due to the unaccessability to fix what should be simple things. No other major problems accept the trunk won't unlatch with just pushing the button in your car - you have to use the keyless entry and be sure you double click that button withing 6 inches.

goodlilcar
By Badlilkitn on 07/14/05 00:17 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cougar in February 2005 its a 2000 Jet Black and beautiful! The previous owner took care of it like a baby. There have been NO problems so far (hope i didnt jinx myself) I have owned lots of sports cars and this one is smooth. Ive never had any problems with the infamous drink holder. I have Monza exhaust and Weapon R Intake. This car PURRS!

Most fun to drive car ever
By asah on 03/12/05 18:16 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This Car is a must buy for anyone looking for a car. I bought mine new in Feb of 2000. Ive only had the issue with the fuel pump recall. The cougar only came out with this bodystyle for 4 yrs which makes it not your everyday driver. Its a quick little car with tons of potential for the motor.

No Confidence In This Car
By T-K on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Negatives: * Replaced fuel pump twice * Been in the shop 5 different times. * Turning radius is terrible (it reminds me of a semi) * Backseats are too small for adults. * Dim Headlights are too dim. * No compartments for change & stuff. Positives: * Tons of trunk room * V6 is fast & fun. * Mercury covered the cost of the fuel pump recall. I have had the car into get serviced many times. The fuel pump has been replaced twice. No one seems to know what is wrong with it. After the redesigned pump was put it, I figured my problems are over. I still have a sluggish engine and I am constantly worried it will break down. Basically, i'm selling it!

NOT TO SHABBY
By jnn88 on 08/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for two years, minimal problems. Just had to deal with recall of the fuel pump. Love the car, it is fun to drive and it looks nice. The only bad things about the car is the cup holder sucks and the trunk is tricky. Good car to "hook up".

Been Good to me
By mercowner on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Bought it new and nothing has gone wrong with it yet. I'm pretty tall and fit fine in it, which is kinda surprising for being a sport-compact. I average 25 mpg with a v6 and an automatic. Thats with a fair mix of city and highway driving. It is an oddball tire size, so they can be expensive, but I went one size up to a common size and they were cheap. It didn't change the ride or speedometer to where I'd notice. Overall if I had the initial buying decision to do over again, I'd still buy it.

A fun car for the price
By black cougar on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car since I bought it new in Sept. 1999. I like the cars styling, handling, and acceleration is good with a V6 5 speed manual. The quality has been decent so far when I compare it to friends cars. I have 76,000 miles on it and have only had to replace the alternator, which cost $400 (not cheap). Although the fuel pump is starting to go now. These two problems seem to be typical for Cougars. I am thinking about getting a new car now that this one is older, but I don't see one that I would rather have in the same price range.