2000 Mercury Cougar I4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Cougar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Sort Reviews by

Decent Car
By Dustin

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

The Cougar is a fun, sporty car, so it turns tightly, rides stiffly, and the 5 speed manual shifts smoothly. But I have been unimpressed with the build quality. I changed my grille, put a new driver side mirror on, and ran subwoofer cables, so I have taken apart a lot of the car. Almost everything snaps together! You know what holds the bumper on? Plastic pins. Most everything is plastic, especially the dash. And oh, what a noisy, squeaky dash it is, too. Drives me crazy. All in all, I'd say the Cougar is a decent car, but the build quality worries me, and I am going to soon upgrade to something more reliable and better quality.

Favorite Features

Styling, huge trunk, bucket seats, manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic! Quieter ride. Oh yeah, the moonroofs on Cougars are notorious for not working.

Bought a Pretty Car & that's what I got!
By Sara

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 V6 Cougar used and drove it for 2 years with little incident, nothing but routine maintenance. In the two following years I replaced the alternator twice ($600 a pop), manifold intake gaskets about $500, rear brake caliper broke causing brake failure (I would be dead if not for engine brake) $600 for new caliper assemblies and pads. I have also "run out of gas" - completely stalled - when going up hill with 1/4 tank of gas! Had my car towed to the shop just to have it start and run just fine, the second time I topped it up with a jerry can and it was fine. Not yet replaced a fuel pump but it's not running well and I've been told that or dirt in the fuel tank, we'll see.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance, interior appearance, sunroof, well fitted interior does not vibrate/rattle with awesome subwoofers (every other car I've owned took a couple ounces of super glue), bucket seats, fun to drive, get a lot of positive comments about the appearance

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holder! Tips over going around corners with anything tall in it (ie any travel mug, I've tried half a dozen and now I just use the back cup holder. Even when I'm driving. Yes, I have had a lot of accidents.) Inside gas cap cover release would have been nice too.

My Cougar
By cougowner

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this Cougar as a first car in 2006 and so far it has been a pretty grear car. It is an absolute blast to drive! It could use a smoother ride and a new cup holder! I have recently had some odd issues with my electrical (Gauges act weird when started and mirrors and courtesy light just stopped working.) So far nothing major has gone wrong with it though (crossed fingers!)

Favorite Features

Fun to drive! Flashy look, and powerful feeling

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder! And maybe the rough ride.

My Cougar
By MaineWolf

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have been looking for recalls on the powered moonroof but I don't really see any. Mine is not opening at all, when I push the button, it sounds like it is opening but it's not. I just bought this car from a car dealer a month ago. I can, however, tell I am in need of an alternator soon! Thank God my dad was a mechanic and I learned a lot from him. But overall, I really love this car. It is jet black, leather interior, awesome sounds stereo (CD Player Equipped), Sporty, I just love it. I did get it used, but as with any vehicle, no matter make, model, year, new or used, you are bound to have problems. Take it to a mechanic before you purchase it to see if it's worth the price before buying!

Favorite Features

CD player, AC, cruise control, power sunroof, keyless entry, passive anti theft system.

Suggested Improvements

None!

No complaint, for what it when through
By Like to Driver

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in August 2000, fully loaded except for leather. I have driven the car very very aggressively from day one. Except for an alternator problem 1 1/2 yr ago. Had no problem. I have driven this car everyday since new, I have no back vehicle. Currently have 340,000kms on the car now, and plan to keep it until I have to dig a hole and bury it. All I can say is "take it for what it is." It a nice inexpensive sports car that looks good. If you are looking for a Sunday afternoon drive car, this is not it.

Favorite Features

Looks and handling are great. Do you like speed? If you like speed ay not be the fastest to get up there. But it does, and still handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Front wheel bearing and sway bar end links do not hold up to aggressive driving.

Great ride, but falls apart too quick
By kidfilter

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Like many of the reviewers for this car, I started having troubles from day one, nothing too major front headlight was out and a recall for the steering, but still frustrating. My major problem with the car is the fuel system. Troubles started in 2003. I started running out of gas even though the gauge said there was gas in the tank. Now (2007) I can't let the car go below a 1/2 tank without worrying that I may run out of gas. I just replaced the alternator. The cupholder is dangerous. Sounds silly, but wait till you make a tight right turn in one of these babies and have a lap full of scalding coffee. Great handling, fun design. All trunk no backseat. Not good for people over 5'5".

Favorite Features

Smooth, good pickup, nice handling

Suggested Improvements

Take out the collapsable cup holder and install a more secure one. Make a more reliable fuel system and electric system.

Stay away from the Cougar
By blinky1pxp

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've had the Mercury Cougar for 2 years now and it already is starting to fall apart. I'm having tramission problems. My cat converter needs to be replaced. This car drinks gas like crazy. It's a cool looking car, but not a good buy. This car breaks down a lot and ends up being an expensive couch.

Favorite Features

I like the way the cars looks and I also like the Cougar icon and leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

None

Love My Cougar
By Deb

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I loved my 2000 Cougar from the minute I slipped into the bucket seat. Its high performance and handling made this V-6 five speed a blast to drive. It's been five years and 100K miles and I hate to think about having to trade it in.

Favorite Features

Fog lamps, race-car handling and spacious hatch back.

Suggested Improvements

back seats and cup holders

Great Car
By Mike

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got this car in apr 03 from an auction for 3k. well it had 97k miles on it then and it has 143k now and i've never had anything replaced. i did notice the hatch on the back likes to stick and the cup holder doesn't fit larger cups.. doesn't seem like that is worth complaining about tho. i think it is the "sports package" edition since it has everything on it i.e. moonroof, leather, electric seats, spoiler etc. i have traveled from Richmond to Miami and last summer stayed in Syracuse NY and drove down to Richmond VA just about every weekend for 3 months (yes a 7 hour drive!) and the car has never broken down or any problem what so ever! maybe i just got really lucky..

Favorite Features

Attractive interior and exterior

Suggested Improvements

Hatchback release

I'll miss it
By cougarluv

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I owned this car from day one, and every trip is a joy. I loved sitting in it. I loved listening to music in it. I loved driving it. It looks so interesting and unique, inside and out. Haven't had any serious engine problems with this car at all, but a bunch of strange quirks have been showing up this year, and after having to go to the shop every other month to stop the annoyances, like the stereo turning itself on randomly, the moon roof getting stuck open, the driver's window not rolling up, etc., in addition to the repairs I've had to do for wear and tear, I think it's time to say goodbye. It's current gas mileage is still better than some newer cars you can buy today. A really amazing car

Favorite Features

Comfy front seats, huge trunk, great sound system, good mileage, attractive look, reliable running for 6 years.

Suggested Improvements

ABS too touchy when activated, not enough oomph for a V6, trunk can only be opened if you use remote next to it and have your hand ready to pull it open as soon as you hear the latch release.