2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Bought a Pretty Car & that's what I got!
By Sara on 05/29/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 V6 Cougar used and drove it for 2 years with little incident, nothing but routine maintenance. In the two following years I replaced the alternator twice ($600 a pop), manifold intake gaskets about $500, rear brake caliper broke causing brake failure (I would be dead if not for engine brake) $600 for new caliper assemblies and pads. I have also "run out of gas" - completely stalled - when going up hill with 1/4 tank of gas! Had my car towed to the shop just to have it start and run just fine, the second time I topped it up with a jerry can and it was fine. Not yet replaced a fuel pump but it's not running well and I've been told that or dirt in the fuel tank, we'll see.

My Cougar
By cougowner on 04/21/08 20:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this Cougar as a first car in 2006 and so far it has been a pretty grear car. It is an absolute blast to drive! It could use a smoother ride and a new cup holder! I have recently had some odd issues with my electrical (Gauges act weird when started and mirrors and courtesy light just stopped working.) So far nothing major has gone wrong with it though (crossed fingers!)

My Cougar
By MaineWolf on 04/18/08 12:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have been looking for recalls on the powered moonroof but I don't really see any. Mine is not opening at all, when I push the button, it sounds like it is opening but it's not. I just bought this car from a car dealer a month ago. I can, however, tell I am in need of an alternator soon! Thank God my dad was a mechanic and I learned a lot from him. But overall, I really love this car. It is jet black, leather interior, awesome sounds stereo (CD Player Equipped), Sporty, I just love it. I did get it used, but as with any vehicle, no matter make, model, year, new or used, you are bound to have problems. Take it to a mechanic before you purchase it to see if it's worth the price before buying!

No complaint, for what it when through
By Like to Driver on 04/03/08 21:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in August 2000, fully loaded except for leather. I have driven the car very very aggressively from day one. Except for an alternator problem 1 1/2 yr ago. Had no problem. I have driven this car everyday since new, I have no back vehicle. Currently have 340,000kms on the car now, and plan to keep it until I have to dig a hole and bury it. All I can say is "take it for what it is." It a nice inexpensive sports car that looks good. If you are looking for a Sunday afternoon drive car, this is not it.

Great ride, but falls apart too quick
By kidfilter on 10/28/07 08:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Like many of the reviewers for this car, I started having troubles from day one, nothing too major front headlight was out and a recall for the steering, but still frustrating. My major problem with the car is the fuel system. Troubles started in 2003. I started running out of gas even though the gauge said there was gas in the tank. Now (2007) I can't let the car go below a 1/2 tank without worrying that I may run out of gas. I just replaced the alternator. The cupholder is dangerous. Sounds silly, but wait till you make a tight right turn in one of these babies and have a lap full of scalding coffee. Great handling, fun design. All trunk no backseat. Not good for people over 5'5".

Stay away from the Cougar
By blinky1pxp on 05/23/07 22:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've had the Mercury Cougar for 2 years now and it already is starting to fall apart. I'm having tramission problems. My cat converter needs to be replaced. This car drinks gas like crazy. It's a cool looking car, but not a good buy. This car breaks down a lot and ends up being an expensive couch.

Love My Cougar
By Deb on 02/24/07 16:38 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I loved my 2000 Cougar from the minute I slipped into the bucket seat. Its high performance and handling made this V-6 five speed a blast to drive. It's been five years and 100K miles and I hate to think about having to trade it in.

Great Car
By Mike on 11/20/06 08:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got this car in apr 03 from an auction for 3k. well it had 97k miles on it then and it has 143k now and i've never had anything replaced. i did notice the hatch on the back likes to stick and the cup holder doesn't fit larger cups.. doesn't seem like that is worth complaining about tho. i think it is the "sports package" edition since it has everything on it i.e. moonroof, leather, electric seats, spoiler etc. i have traveled from Richmond to Miami and last summer stayed in Syracuse NY and drove down to Richmond VA just about every weekend for 3 months (yes a 7 hour drive!) and the car has never broken down or any problem what so ever! maybe i just got really lucky..

I'll miss it
By cougarluv on 10/24/06 18:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I owned this car from day one, and every trip is a joy. I loved sitting in it. I loved listening to music in it. I loved driving it. It looks so interesting and unique, inside and out. Haven't had any serious engine problems with this car at all, but a bunch of strange quirks have been showing up this year, and after having to go to the shop every other month to stop the annoyances, like the stereo turning itself on randomly, the moon roof getting stuck open, the driver's window not rolling up, etc., in addition to the repairs I've had to do for wear and tear, I think it's time to say goodbye. It's current gas mileage is still better than some newer cars you can buy today. A really amazing car

Shame on Ford Motor Company
By budgie on 09/04/06 09:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used for my daughter for college. It was fun to drive, sporty and she loved it. Two years later while on an internship 1500 miles away from home in Texas it stopped working. What a dissapointment! It started with a bad alternator, one month and three alternators later, we traded the car in at a significant loss. No one could fix it, not even experts in automotive electrical systems. Don't buy this car, and if you have one, trade it before you experience this problem; it is a safety issue. Bottom line, last Ford product I ever buy, too bad, I love the new Shelby Mustang!