Used 2000 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Been good to me
By Zoey

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I bought the car new, it was cute and got great gas mileage. I have the 5 speed transmission. Everything held up great. I took good care of my care and can recommend it as a used vehicle if you are looking for good gas mileage and nice sound system. I didn't have any of the negative experiences mentioned by other owners. The tires went to 78K original, the tire tools clunk around, but you can fix that. Great sound system. Not a speed demon, but got me to where I wanted to go and didn't cost me much after the purchase price.

Gas Mileage up over 40 on a long trip.

Trunk rattle, tools clunk around.

jessii
By jessii0825

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from private seller after owning one before and loved it. Since I have this car I have put more money in than its worth. Had transmission replace, starter, gear cable and now something seriously wrong with engine (timing and wheel something) which will costs another 2300 to fix. I said forget it and I'm selling for parts (of course I don't know who would want these crappy parts). I would never recommend buying this car. Its junk!

nice looking

everything. so glad they don't make this car anymore!!

fun but some problems
By dom

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

Car is ok to drive but some minor problems have come up 1. Sun roof broke and some times leaks from rain 2. Driver side window doesn't always go up 3. Alternator die a year ago. 4. The counter for how many miles you have left is way off its died twice on me when it said it had 23 miles left its ok but I would Rather have a Ford mustang and I will be selling this car

has speed and power

better parts quality

Smooth & sweet
By 12 paws

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since 2005. I'm very happy with this ride. Traded a Buick Riveria (very sweet) in to get this Cougar. She's got the looks and power. Ready for new struts now,comfort is a must!!!

Love the push button roof on a warm day or nite.

My Cougar has cloth seats. They could be smoother. I keep a thin fleece throw on the seats for comfort. Front door has had a tendency to drop a smidge. Had this driver's side door "repaired" once at dealership, yet it is in need of repair again. What's up? Can this be avoided, car makers?

Looks Good but Buyer Beware!!
By Cougar Lover & Loser

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have had my Cougar for going on 4 years now. It had 69k when I bought it & I just took it over the 87k mark last week. Let me start off by saying that I love the looks of this car, especially with all the bells & whistles (like leather seats, moonroof, and traction control) BUT the looks alone are not worth the hassle the Cougar brings. I have replaced the alternator ($700/ea) three times! IN LESS THAN 18,OOO MILES! Today, I noticed the same old flickering lights & I headed off to trade her in for a Rav4!

Sporty Exterior, Cruise on the steering wheel, Leather, Traction Control, Moonroof, Handles surprisingly well in the snow.

Better wiring & alternator, cupholders are worthless, better MPG's, not so much wind noise.