Used 2000 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Just Say NO
By No Thanks

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Cougars are really beautiful cars. BUT don't let looks fool you! Mechanically, this car is awful. The interior & exterior lights would flicker horribly. At night, I could barely see. & eventually, it got to the point where I wouldn't even drive the car at night. I would feel the car begin to sputter & shake whenever I drove uphill. I tried to help these problems but after 4 alternators, a complete rewiring, new struts & a new rear axle: I traded it in! It was so disheartening to think that I had such a hot car but I didn't feel safe in it. I hated driving it so much that in the 4 years I had the car, I only put 20,000 miles on it. I would not recommend a Cougar to anyone.

Cruise Control (on steering wheel), moonroof, leather seats, outer temp gauge, & surprisingly good gas mileage.

Nearly everything mechanically & bad blind spots.

Been good to me
By Zoey

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I bought the car new, it was cute and got great gas mileage. I have the 5 speed transmission. Everything held up great. I took good care of my care and can recommend it as a used vehicle if you are looking for good gas mileage and nice sound system. I didn't have any of the negative experiences mentioned by other owners. The tires went to 78K original, the tire tools clunk around, but you can fix that. Great sound system. Not a speed demon, but got me to where I wanted to go and didn't cost me much after the purchase price.

Gas Mileage up over 40 on a long trip.

Trunk rattle, tools clunk around.

jessii
By jessii0825

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from private seller after owning one before and loved it. Since I have this car I have put more money in than its worth. Had transmission replace, starter, gear cable and now something seriously wrong with engine (timing and wheel something) which will costs another 2300 to fix. I said forget it and I'm selling for parts (of course I don't know who would want these crappy parts). I would never recommend buying this car. Its junk!

nice looking

everything. so glad they don't make this car anymore!!

fun but some problems
By dom

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

Car is ok to drive but some minor problems have come up 1. Sun roof broke and some times leaks from rain 2. Driver side window doesn't always go up 3. Alternator die a year ago. 4. The counter for how many miles you have left is way off its died twice on me when it said it had 23 miles left its ok but I would Rather have a Ford mustang and I will be selling this car

has speed and power

better parts quality

Smooth & sweet
By 12 paws

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since 2005. I'm very happy with this ride. Traded a Buick Riveria (very sweet) in to get this Cougar. She's got the looks and power. Ready for new struts now,comfort is a must!!!

Love the push button roof on a warm day or nite.

My Cougar has cloth seats. They could be smoother. I keep a thin fleece throw on the seats for comfort. Front door has had a tendency to drop a smidge. Had this driver's side door "repaired" once at dealership, yet it is in need of repair again. What's up? Can this be avoided, car makers?