2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
too many problems
By Nkb310 on 05/14/09 16:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

the second day i braught it home, it has trouble starting, i got new battery, new starter, and it still wont start properly..its not reliable...i dont want to be stranded, a week after having it i had to get 2 new altenators put in...and it howls wich i dont like...i have had nothing but problems since the say i baught it which is too bad becuase i love everyhting else about it, i love the driving, the stereo, the appearance, and even the annoying cup holder...

cougar
By carlos on 03/19/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

i love my cat is a really good car, i had some problem like the alternator but is really good i nerver have problem about the gas i drive my car with 0 of gas an nerver stop is a great car

Not a reliable car.. i hate my cougar
By Ashley on 03/13/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about two years ago after having a friend total my vw jetta which i loved. the cougar is nothing compared to that car and i can say i have had more problems with my cougar than i ever had with my jetta. within the first few months of having my car i liked it, it was nothing special but after like four months i started to have major problems with it. since i have spent probably close to $6000 fixing it. replaced the transmittion, any and every sensor possible, the alternator is bad now and i have had probably 5 batteries all go bad. the car stalls when it gets cold out or rainy. it is a very unpredictable car and i would not recommend it to anyone... wish i never got it

Wonderful Car
By Liz on 02/23/09 15:37 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I just bought my Cougar last January, and I love it. It drives and handles great. I also learned that on long trips the gas mileage isn't as bad as you would think. I have drove it from North Carolina to Nevada with no problems. Now I am about to drive it from Nevada to Washington and so far the car seems like it has no problems this time, even after not being drove for 7 months. I just wish that the cup holders in the front were better. Besides that its a great car.

Worst Car I've Ever Ridden In my life.
By Joshua on 12/20/08 23:10 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This vehicle Is not reliable. I just recently wrecked my wougar going 45 and ran straight into a electrical pole. The airbags did not deploy and the seatbelt did not lock in place for the passengers in the backseat. The Cougar is not a good vehicle for a first time driver. Do not buy this car for your teenage daughter or son. It crushes like a can. I put a dent on my front right fender by just leaning on it. It broke down many times for multiple reasons.

A great car!
By FREDDY COUGAR on 11/05/08 13:52 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

After reading some of the troubles other people had with their Cougar, I must have got all the good parts. My 2000 Cougar SE had only 25 miles on it and came with the five speed. For the next 6 years and 120,000 miles not a thing went wrong aside from the tires and brakes being replaced 3x. Then the alternator went and a few months later the original battery died. I consider that normal wear. For 2008 I've done a the front brakes and my 4th set of tires and have 145,000 miles on it. I give the car a good detailing every spring inside and out and she still looks new. I'll keep her as long as nothing major goes wrong with the engine or the tranmission. Good luck to the other owners.

What a Lemon
By What a Lemon on 10/04/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I would not suggest anyone to buy this car. I fell in love with this car when I first seen it but in this case looks were not everything. I bought this car as a birthday present to myself and since driving it off the lot a year ago I have already spent $4000 in repairs. It is sitting at the garage right now waiting for another transmission. I have had it in the garage twice before with the same issues. Other than the trans my AC stopped working this past summer, the fan at the radiator stopped working, the headlights do this dimming thing that just drives me crazy, but hey, it has a great radio. It's seen the back of a tow truck more than the road itself.

Fun car
By tjl on 08/12/08 19:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I just bought my 2000 Cougar V6 with every option it could possibly have. It had some of the problems I read about in these reviews like stalling and the electrical but I brought it to a Mercury dealership 7 times till they got it right. They replaced the fuel pump, egr valve several vaccum lines. Every once in a while the engine light comes back on and it's just a vaccum line came off the egr valve. Just put it back on and the light turns off after a cycle or 2. It's been running great since I just put a Cougar banner across the windshield and an aem ram air intake. It gave the car a mean growl to it. Now I'm just waiting for my new exhaust..

So-so car
By Zach on 08/10/08 21:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This was a very nice car. The first day we bought it off the lot we got ours brand new and haven't had too many problems with it. Only a few things here and there. Car has a sleek design and it is fun to show off and just go for a cruise. The gas mileage is a little low but better than some of the new cars today. It was a great buy and soon it will be my sons car!

Decent Car
By Dustin on 05/29/08 17:57 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

The Cougar is a fun, sporty car, so it turns tightly, rides stiffly, and the 5 speed manual shifts smoothly. But I have been unimpressed with the build quality. I changed my grille, put a new driver side mirror on, and ran subwoofer cables, so I have taken apart a lot of the car. Almost everything snaps together! You know what holds the bumper on? Plastic pins. Most everything is plastic, especially the dash. And oh, what a noisy, squeaky dash it is, too. Drives me crazy. All in all, I'd say the Cougar is a decent car, but the build quality worries me, and I am going to soon upgrade to something more reliable and better quality.