2000 Mercury Cougar I4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Just Say NO
By No Thanks on 08/28/10 21:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Cougars are really beautiful cars. BUT don't let looks fool you! Mechanically, this car is awful. The interior & exterior lights would flicker horribly. At night, I could barely see. & eventually, it got to the point where I wouldn't even drive the car at night. I would feel the car begin to sputter & shake whenever I drove uphill. I tried to help these problems but after 4 alternators, a complete rewiring, new struts & a new rear axle: I traded it in! It was so disheartening to think that I had such a hot car but I didn't feel safe in it. I hated driving it so much that in the 4 years I had the car, I only put 20,000 miles on it. I would not recommend a Cougar to anyone.

Been good to me
By Zoey on 08/02/10 12:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I bought the car new, it was cute and got great gas mileage. I have the 5 speed transmission. Everything held up great. I took good care of my care and can recommend it as a used vehicle if you are looking for good gas mileage and nice sound system. I didn't have any of the negative experiences mentioned by other owners. The tires went to 78K original, the tire tools clunk around, but you can fix that. Great sound system. Not a speed demon, but got me to where I wanted to go and didn't cost me much after the purchase price.

jessii
By jessii0825 on 04/01/10 17:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from private seller after owning one before and loved it. Since I have this car I have put more money in than its worth. Had transmission replace, starter, gear cable and now something seriously wrong with engine (timing and wheel something) which will costs another 2300 to fix. I said forget it and I'm selling for parts (of course I don't know who would want these crappy parts). I would never recommend buying this car. Its junk!

fun but some problems
By dom on 03/20/10 08:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

Car is ok to drive but some minor problems have come up 1. Sun roof broke and some times leaks from rain 2. Driver side window doesn't always go up 3. Alternator die a year ago. 4. The counter for how many miles you have left is way off its died twice on me when it said it had 23 miles left its ok but I would Rather have a Ford mustang and I will be selling this car

Smooth & sweet
By 12 paws on 01/02/10 18:12 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've had this car since 2005. I'm very happy with this ride. Traded a Buick Riveria (very sweet) in to get this Cougar. She's got the looks and power. Ready for new struts now,comfort is a must!!!

Looks Good but Buyer Beware!!
By Cougar Lover & Loser on 12/26/09 12:57 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have had my Cougar for going on 4 years now. It had 69k when I bought it & I just took it over the 87k mark last week. Let me start off by saying that I love the looks of this car, especially with all the bells & whistles (like leather seats, moonroof, and traction control) BUT the looks alone are not worth the hassle the Cougar brings. I have replaced the alternator ($700/ea) three times! IN LESS THAN 18,OOO MILES! Today, I noticed the same old flickering lights & I headed off to trade her in for a Rav4!

Loved it!
By Tlover on 08/17/09 12:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Well this car was given to me by my parents as my first car. It was a great first car! Very sporty and got alot of attention. The only problem I ended up having with it was the sunroof broke and was going to cost a fortune to replace! Next problem...I don't drive it anymore is that I was rear ended at 50mph which in turn made me slam into the car in front of me. The car was absolutely crushed like a little can and guess what...no airbag deployment. Don't crash and the car is great!

I hate this car!
By brittlya on 07/29/09 13:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I truly hate this car! I am always having some type of problem with this car! Every year since I have had it there has been something that breaks down on it! Its truly ridiculous! I would not recommend this car to ANYONE!! Its the biggest waste of money thats ever been spent!

I wouldnt buy
By Wanda on 07/09/09 12:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have had to replace 3 alternators, has to get tires replaced a lot. I have to get my transmission electrial system replaced. I had to get wiring for from my engine to my alternator. My set does move up it stays in one place. My trunk, will not open on its own. Recommendation, is to check out every's car reviews before purchasing this vechile.

Piece of Junk
By Horrible Vehicle on 07/06/09 08:41 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

My wife purchased this car new for around 30,000 Canadian and it has been nothing but trouble, broken master cylinder causing brake failure while driving, intake manifold carboning up, broken brake calipers, premature brake wear (every 50,000 km), sun roof failure, fuel pump failure, poor suspension (shock failure 80,000 km), check engine light comes on constantly, maintenance light on since new and dealer cannot clear, the car is worth nothing now. Do not purchase this car!