Used 2000 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

great lookin car for a costly price!
By volcomchik04

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Bought this car back in 2003 from a family member it was runnin great for a while, but since about 2005 i have had to have multiple alignment jobs done,multiple new tires,a new radiator,radiator hoses,new power steerin hoses,new batteries, a new transmission, new motor mount, multiple alternators, new mass airflow sensor, new spark plugs, just recently had to have the o2 sensors replaced and the egr valve fixed, and my catalitic converter needs to be replaced (fyi just for the catalitic converter alone its gonna be $300)...all in all its a good lookin car and has lasted me a long time but im definately ready to get rid of it!!...It has cost me a lot of money!!

2000 Mercury Cougar V6
By auttie95

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got this car for my first car and so far i had to replace my battery...spend $300 cause my engine light was on but come to find out it was my O2 sensors...my door sensors are all broken and my sunroof is broke...SUCKS ON GAS !!! it also makes a really weird noise when i start it up and the RPMS go crazy

Favorite Features

nice paint job for a 10 year old car...easy to hook up and goes fast (: nice interior and nice radio sound

Suggested Improvements

better sunroof...

I love this car!
By Anonymous

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cougar new in 2000 and now am approaching 120,000 miles. It has been the most reliable car I've ever had. Only normal maintenance until last year when I had a repair bill for $700. However, one bill in 10 years I'll take any day. This car is fun to drive, sporty, fast, yet tons of cargo space if you need it (fold-down hatchback). I average 24 mpg city/30 highway, which is better than many new cars. I've been trying to convince myself to trade it for a new car, but I just can't find one that matches up (considering it'll mean a car payment again + having to cross my fingers I get another good car). I may give it to my nephew (and that tells you how much I trust this car)

Favorite Features

Too many to count. A seriously fun car!

Suggested Improvements

Headroom is a bit tight in the back, but it's a sports car...

AWFUL CAR besides look and stereo
By ihatemycar721

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This was my first car, i had bought it for cheap through family. THIS CAR IS CURSED! My hood didn't latch and flew up while i was driving on the expressway! Cup holder spills drinks everywhere. Have had to spend tons of money on fixing things. Headlights have a film on them. it VIOLENTLY shakes between 50-60 mph, needs a new motor mount. paint chips and fades. not a lot of storage. cloth on seats are itchy.it is just bad luck all around. air bags have not deployed in my 2 accidents they should have. seat belt locks constantly. LOVE the cute sporty look, and it has GREAT stock stereo system!

Favorite Features

stereo/speakers. outside look

Suggested Improvements

everything.

Heaven to Hell
By JosieListens

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I got this car as my first car. It was bought with busted valve gasket (easily fixed, cheap). Beautiful car! Drifter body kit, engine mods, custom exhaust and muffler. 4mo after getting car Timing Belt crystallized (expensive, had to get tensioner too). 1mo later replaced vacuum line. Engine light has always been on. NOW, master cylinder blew. I loved this car in the beginning. Super fun, with 5 speed transmission, super quick. BUT, it JUST SITS more than i drive it. Expenses to get it fixed are just ridiculous!!

Favorite Features

5 speed transmission, dash features, exterior features, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

total engine rehaul. its crazy!