2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Oh my Kitty
By Cougar owner on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Cougar in April 2000. Most problems related to service but I did take the car back about 4 times the first two weeks for radio problems. A few months afterward, I took it back because of bubbles that caused paint chips. The car has had several recalls that I knew nothing about until a year later. The most recent problem was the RPM revs in neutral. Passengers are not crazy about the back seat, so this car is for the selfish...few riders and no little kids! The car seat does not fit properly in the back. I like the looks, but I am not completely satisfied. I won't be buying another Cougar...neither will I buy another Mercury.

unreliable
By beau66 on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Although this car looks good and has some of the best features for the price, it is unreliable. I've had the cougar for almost 2 years now, and I have put over a 1000 miles on it just from taking it to the shop to get repaired. It has had problems since day one. Ford customer service is a joke. They won't do anything to help me get out of this vehicle, they do fix the problems that occur, but when all you have is problems something else needs to be done. Sure the repairs are warranted, but, its not worth having a new vehicle if you can't count on it.

good looks, good drive
By Scuba Steve on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I got my Cougar a little over a year ago, and have had 0 problems to date. Its by far the most fun car I have ever driven, with a gutsy enough little 4 cylinder and the easiest shifting manual transmission that I have ever seen. The car handles like a dream around corners. The 1999 Cougar had problems, with few to none of them transferring over to the 2000 model year. If you would like a car that runs good and looks great, grab one of these.

Don't buy one
By unsatisfied on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

The Mercury Cougar is number 5 on the "lemon list" put out by the government. I have had mine in (that has less than 30000 miles on it and is still under warranty) 4 times in the last three months! The have replaced the "brain" to the transmission, fuel pump, etc. 2002 is the last year they are making them because they have so many problems.

Great all around
By OCEAN on 03/12/02 21:21 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

weelll i got the 2000 v6 mercury cougar, and i have to say. its very appeling to the eye, great handling and i love the exterior and interior. I've added a few things to my cougar to make it a bit to, well how can i say this, so it could look more like a true sports car. ITS look beutiful. I've added a kit, spoiler, rims, z3 fender, and a top of the line pantjob. with these improvement the mercury cougar beat the celica, eclipse,civc and probable any other mid-size sport car