Used 2000 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Lots of fun
By CougarLover

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought the cougar for my wife, and she loves it. It is sporty and very fun to drive, she rarely lets me behind the wheel. We have had 0 problems, we have not even had a problem with the fuel pump yet. ***Knock on wood*** I have had a blast with this vehicle and the silver looks fantastic. I only wish it had a moon/sun roof. But I bought used so I got what was there.

The ext. styling, and the sport seats. I am not sure I will ever get my wife off perforated leather again. Ours also is a 5 spd...a must have in a sports car in my opinion.

The trunk latch and that center console could have used a better design what with the lack of small storage and the cup holder is terrible. Then again it is a SPORTS car.

Not for what you think your getting!!
By usarfilly

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my car after my deployment to Iraq...and I wanted something sporty- Which I got, but not much else. Major issue is the engine build. Your engine light goes on for unknown reasons and after fixed comes right back on. I've replaces the alternator once and now have had trouble with the starter and the fly-wheel. So my engine sometimes doesn't start. Labor on these cars is outragious due to the unaccessability to fix what should be simple things. No other major problems accept the trunk won't unlatch with just pushing the button in your car - you have to use the keyless entry and be sure you double click that button withing 6 inches.

I love the stereo, the leather bucket seats, sporty body design(hood scoop/front lights/raised back end), moon roof, and large trunk with folding back seats.

Alternator, and any electrical issues, and THAT CUP HOLDER!!!!!! More space needed in the front for small things like change, cigarettes, sunglasses,etc. Runs loud on the highway and doesn't have nice smooth turning at all.

goodlilcar
By Badlilkitn

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cougar in February 2005 its a 2000 Jet Black and beautiful! The previous owner took care of it like a baby. There have been NO problems so far (hope i didnt jinx myself) I have owned lots of sports cars and this one is smooth. Ive never had any problems with the infamous drink holder. I have Monza exhaust and Weapon R Intake. This car PURRS!

The sleek black quality paint job and the very comfy bucket seats. Makes me feel like im in the cockpit of a jet.

none

Most fun to drive car ever
By asah

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This Car is a must buy for anyone looking for a car. I bought mine new in Feb of 2000. Ive only had the issue with the fuel pump recall. The cougar only came out with this bodystyle for 4 yrs which makes it not your everyday driver. Its a quick little car with tons of potential for the motor.

The fact that not every other car on the road is a Cougar. It kinda stands out and people often ask what it is.

we need the SVT motor

No Confidence In This Car
By T-K

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Negatives: * Replaced fuel pump twice * Been in the shop 5 different times. * Turning radius is terrible (it reminds me of a semi) * Backseats are too small for adults. * Dim Headlights are too dim. * No compartments for change & stuff. Positives: * Tons of trunk room * V6 is fast & fun. * Mercury covered the cost of the fuel pump recall. I have had the car into get serviced many times. The fuel pump has been replaced twice. No one seems to know what is wrong with it. After the redesigned pump was put it, I figured my problems are over. I still have a sluggish engine and I am constantly worried it will break down. Basically, i'm selling it!

I am glad to see production was stopped on Cougars. Hopefully they will stay retired this time.

• SUV