2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Runs like a %@$#&@i#$!!!
By maggycat on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

Within 4,000 miles a bolt broke in the engine - took two weeks to fix and dealer wanted me to pay for rental car- unbelievable! Love the way the car looks inside & outside - drives harder than my 1981 Ford Fairmont Futura - very disappointed with the car and I only have 25000 miles on it - dealership even more disappointing - glad my lease is up in 10 months - also HORRIBLE in snow!

Great little car
By RF on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've owned mine for 2 years now and still enjoy driving it. It handles like crazy, has a decent amount of power, and looks great. Everything has worked flawlessly - I've only performed routine maintenance. I replaced tires early due to finding the cars handling limits. It sticks like glue!!

Love my Cougar!
By Wandawoman99 on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

In fact I love it so much, I am about to trade it in on a brand new one! I have never had any problems out of my 2000 cougar. It has been a fun reliable car for me. I am looking to buy the 2002 Anniv. Special real soon! So you can go look up my little Blue trade in and get you a really good car!

I like it...
By cougarman on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I purchased my cougar in November of 1999. I love it. I make sure it has it's scheduled maintenance, and in return, it purrs like a, well...cougar. After 3 years, I just replaced the tires and brakes. That's it. No other problems. There were a few minor recalls for items like a battery cable not connected correctly, but the service I receive from my dealer gets me in and out quickly. I have a 5 spd which performs well in merging situations and pulling out into traffic. The interior is really constructed for not more than 2 people, but the bucket seats make for a comfortable ride.

This car was a LEMON!!!
By Kevin Chiu on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 Cougar V6 Sport brand new in January of 2001. After 6 months of driving, I had over 30 pages in work orders. Everything in this car was wrong. Ford spent more money fixing this lemon then I paid for it. To top thing off, Ford Customer Care would not help me. Avoid this lemon!!!

awful car, AVOID AT ALL COSTS
By John_j_c8 on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

From day 1, this car was plagued with problems. Defective radio, broken hood prop were the first things. Then alternators, AC Compressors, fuel pump, rotos, brake pads, alignment, tire re- balance, insulation hanging from the under body, fabric on the seats came apart, poor fit and finish and many more PROBLEMS. Avoid this car.

Not very pleased
By hitmore35 on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've had my Cougar for 2 years, and it's been in the shop for MAJOR issues about 10 times. 3 times for the fuel pump (twice replaced), 2 recalls, Transmission slips, brakes, leaks of all sorts, electrical failures, and the list goes on... It's a shame because the car itself it very nice looking, but it's TOTALLY not worth the trouble. I'm looking forward to moving on to a different car soon.

2000 Mercury Cougar
By Pebbles073 on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've had my Cougar for almost 2 years now and I LOVE it!! Never had a problem. The car is stylish (turns alot of heads) and very quick. My lease is over 9/03 and I will be sad to see it go, it's definitely been my favorite lease so far.

my car
By Cougarchick on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

i love my cougar. it's never let me down. handles well in the snowy minnesota winters.

Beauty is only skin deep
By Shawn M on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This car looks great and handles great. It lacks power and acceleration especially with the auto trans. The gas mileage is horrible at about 14.2mpg in the city. I've had various mechanical problems including fuel pump, brake pads wearing out every 12k miles, faulty tires and more. The service is terrible and takes FOREVER. I would not recommend the 2000 Cougar to anyone unless all you want is to look good.