2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Mercury Cougar
By angel42497 on 03/18/14 22:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I currently have this car, and all the other complaints about this car above are absolutely true. It is a complete gas hog, it has ALOT of mechanical issues, my interior sucks, headlights are horrible. My car has 134k miles on and is expected for problems, but too much. My Engines motor mount is bad, which causes my car to buck leaving me wonder if it will start for me. Hot weather it is TERRIBLE in, after it gets to about 80+ degrees it wont start. I have never had a problem with the cold though it has been negatives many times. It's fuel injector is going out, transmission is bad, and the RPMs get ridiculous. It sputters whenever you hit the gas lightly. Over all it isn't a good first car.

Like other reviewers, loved this car...at first...
By ms__brown on 08/22/12 07:53 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my Coug in 2004 with 50,000 miles on it. I've had minimal mechanical "failures" but many mechanical problems. The headlights dim a lot and if I have the wipers, headlights and stereo on at the same time, it dies. Sunroof never worked. The car won't start for an hour after it's been running in more than 90 degree heat, but the thing ALWAYS starts in the winter, even if it's 70 below (bought in ND and never used a block heater). It now has 116,000 miles (I don't drive a lot) and it needs a new suspension, shocks, struts, etc. I recently replaced the front tie rod so I wouldn't die. Shaky after 65 mph. Not kid friendly. No hooks for child seat in the back, so trading.

Dont be fooled..
By tcmommy on 01/27/12 14:22 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used as my very first car. It had 55k miles on it and I loved it at first. It now has 153k miles and I dont even feel safe driving it. At about 70k miles I had already gone through 1 alternator and 2 batteries. The car started shaking really bad and I needed to replace entire transmission. All in all, I've had to replace, many tires (more than usual), 4 alternators, 2..yes 2 transmissions, transmission and engine mounts, many batteries, the trunk no longer stays open on its own, check engine light will not go off, even though dealers have checked numerous times, lights have a film over them, and power window motor twice. It looks nice, breaks great, but just not worth it.

Hunk of Junk !!
By kristan85 on 01/29/11 21:46 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've had my Cougar about 4 years now and it's only just over 89,000 miles. I've had to have 3 fuel flushes ..the gas was filthy and very dark brown and causing the engine to miss. I've had to put 2 new batteries in it along with an altenator. I had plugged ECG valves. Last week I spent $700. on a new fuel pump along with a fuel/oil pressure censor. I've replaced all 4 tires. The dash lights and headlights are always flickering. It won't start if it's cold out. My sunroof won't open. It's starting to rust. The battery light is always flickering on and off (even with a new battery and altenator). When it's cold out my trunk won't stay open I have to hold it up (hatchback)..do not recommend!!!

great lookin car for a costly price!
By volcomchik04 on 01/20/11 11:24 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Bought this car back in 2003 from a family member it was runnin great for a while, but since about 2005 i have had to have multiple alignment jobs done,multiple new tires,a new radiator,radiator hoses,new power steerin hoses,new batteries, a new transmission, new motor mount, multiple alternators, new mass airflow sensor, new spark plugs, just recently had to have the o2 sensors replaced and the egr valve fixed, and my catalitic converter needs to be replaced (fyi just for the catalitic converter alone its gonna be $300)...all in all its a good lookin car and has lasted me a long time but im definately ready to get rid of it!!...It has cost me a lot of money!!

2000 Mercury Cougar V6
By auttie95 on 01/11/11 11:59 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got this car for my first car and so far i had to replace my battery...spend $300 cause my engine light was on but come to find out it was my O2 sensors...my door sensors are all broken and my sunroof is broke...SUCKS ON GAS !!! it also makes a really weird noise when i start it up and the RPMS go crazy

I love this car!
By Anonymous on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cougar new in 2000 and now am approaching 120,000 miles. It has been the most reliable car I've ever had. Only normal maintenance until last year when I had a repair bill for $700. However, one bill in 10 years I'll take any day. This car is fun to drive, sporty, fast, yet tons of cargo space if you need it (fold-down hatchback). I average 24 mpg city/30 highway, which is better than many new cars. I've been trying to convince myself to trade it for a new car, but I just can't find one that matches up (considering it'll mean a car payment again + having to cross my fingers I get another good car). I may give it to my nephew (and that tells you how much I trust this car)

AWFUL CAR besides look and stereo
By ihatemycar721 on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This was my first car, i had bought it for cheap through family. THIS CAR IS CURSED! My hood didn't latch and flew up while i was driving on the expressway! Cup holder spills drinks everywhere. Have had to spend tons of money on fixing things. Headlights have a film on them. it VIOLENTLY shakes between 50-60 mph, needs a new motor mount. paint chips and fades. not a lot of storage. cloth on seats are itchy.it is just bad luck all around. air bags have not deployed in my 2 accidents they should have. seat belt locks constantly. LOVE the cute sporty look, and it has GREAT stock stereo system!

Heaven to Hell
By JosieListens on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I got this car as my first car. It was bought with busted valve gasket (easily fixed, cheap). Beautiful car! Drifter body kit, engine mods, custom exhaust and muffler. 4mo after getting car Timing Belt crystallized (expensive, had to get tensioner too). 1mo later replaced vacuum line. Engine light has always been on. NOW, master cylinder blew. I loved this car in the beginning. Super fun, with 5 speed transmission, super quick. BUT, it JUST SITS more than i drive it. Expenses to get it fixed are just ridiculous!!

Just Say NO
By No Thanks on 08/28/10 21:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Cougars are really beautiful cars. BUT don't let looks fool you! Mechanically, this car is awful. The interior & exterior lights would flicker horribly. At night, I could barely see. & eventually, it got to the point where I wouldn't even drive the car at night. I would feel the car begin to sputter & shake whenever I drove uphill. I tried to help these problems but after 4 alternators, a complete rewiring, new struts & a new rear axle: I traded it in! It was so disheartening to think that I had such a hot car but I didn't feel safe in it. I hated driving it so much that in the 4 years I had the car, I only put 20,000 miles on it. I would not recommend a Cougar to anyone.