Used 2000 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Great, Reliable, Affordable
By david689

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I drive my Cougar every day, 60 miles each way almost with no problems. Gets pretty good mpg. Sporty and safe, the Cougar is the best of both worlds. Not too roomy inside but that's expected.

Mercury Cougar
By angel42497

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I currently have this car, and all the other complaints about this car above are absolutely true. It is a complete gas hog, it has ALOT of mechanical issues, my interior sucks, headlights are horrible. My car has 134k miles on and is expected for problems, but too much. My Engines motor mount is bad, which causes my car to buck leaving me wonder if it will start for me. Hot weather it is TERRIBLE in, after it gets to about 80+ degrees it wont start. I have never had a problem with the cold though it has been negatives many times. It's fuel injector is going out, transmission is bad, and the RPMs get ridiculous. It sputters whenever you hit the gas lightly. Over all it isn't a good first car.

Favorite Features

I love the looks of this car, although I bought mine with paint chips missing out of the front, and there were a few dents, it is still a pretty sharp looking car. The stereo system in my car has been replaced, and sounds horrible, along with the radio, it shifts smoothly at times

Suggested Improvements

Less mechanical problems, not as insulated under the hood, Headlights that don't dim, The heating problems!

Like other reviewers, loved this car...at first...
By ms__brown

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my Coug in 2004 with 50,000 miles on it. I've had minimal mechanical "failures" but many mechanical problems. The headlights dim a lot and if I have the wipers, headlights and stereo on at the same time, it dies. Sunroof never worked. The car won't start for an hour after it's been running in more than 90 degree heat, but the thing ALWAYS starts in the winter, even if it's 70 below (bought in ND and never used a block heater). It now has 116,000 miles (I don't drive a lot) and it needs a new suspension, shocks, struts, etc. I recently replaced the front tie rod so I wouldn't die. Shaky after 65 mph. Not kid friendly. No hooks for child seat in the back, so trading.

Favorite Features

Always starts in the winter (I had a great battery that lasted all 7 years that I owned it). Lots of cargo room for moving. Decent stereo. Back bucket seats surprisingly comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholder is an embarrassment to engineering. I've spilled so many things on myself and my seats, it's not even funny. I don't understand why it is built for high performance tires when the frame can't even handle speed and corners without acting like it's going to fall apart. The car rusts very easily. I had to replace my fuel tank strap because it'rusted right off. Seriously. Also, the windshield and sunroof actually leak and there's rust around the windshield so it cracks constantly. Can't even warranty a windshield. Probably the previous owner's fault, but it still is ridiculous.

Dont be fooled..
By tcmommy

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used as my very first car. It had 55k miles on it and I loved it at first. It now has 153k miles and I dont even feel safe driving it. At about 70k miles I had already gone through 1 alternator and 2 batteries. The car started shaking really bad and I needed to replace entire transmission. All in all, I've had to replace, many tires (more than usual), 4 alternators, 2..yes 2 transmissions, transmission and engine mounts, many batteries, the trunk no longer stays open on its own, check engine light will not go off, even though dealers have checked numerous times, lights have a film over them, and power window motor twice. It looks nice, breaks great, but just not worth it.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior for a coupe, breaks are great, looks sporty and feels powerful. It also came with a great stock stereo.

Hunk of Junk !!
By kristan85

2000 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I've had my Cougar about 4 years now and it's only just over 89,000 miles. I've had to have 3 fuel flushes ..the gas was filthy and very dark brown and causing the engine to miss. I've had to put 2 new batteries in it along with an altenator. I had plugged ECG valves. Last week I spent $700. on a new fuel pump along with a fuel/oil pressure censor. I've replaced all 4 tires. The dash lights and headlights are always flickering. It won't start if it's cold out. My sunroof won't open. It's starting to rust. The battery light is always flickering on and off (even with a new battery and altenator). When it's cold out my trunk won't stay open I have to hold it up (hatchback)..do not recommend!!!