What a lemon
By cougarhater on
1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe
Bought this car my freshman year of college after my brother totaled my beloved 1991 Lexus ES250. Needed a car to go to and from work and make the 400 mile trek home once a month. This car has great looks, and a banging stereo. The problem is, I have put almost the $6500 I paid for it in repairs to this car. Beware the sunroof, parts alone to fix are $1600 :-0 Also performance wise, there seems to be a gap in the middle gears, it's great off the line but struggles to get up to freeway speeds on an onramp. The A/C unit doesn't cool very well, and seriously hampers the engines power at freeway speeds. Beware repair costs for this unreliable vehicle.
Favorite Features
Engine power at low speeds, great off the line. Factory head unit and speakers are great, even though I had to replace the speakers twice due to my brothers love of VERY loud music.
Suggested Improvements
The doors on this thing are huge and the highly sloped windshield makes for very bad visibility in bright sun. Also, if you can get the rear wiper, do, because otherwise it takes forever to defrost. Although this car looks cool, it is annoying to have your car in the shop 3+ times per year.