1999 Mercury Cougar Consumer Review: Cougar

1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Review

V6 2dr Hatchback (2.5L V6 5-speed Manual)

Cougar
By Not worth it on

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Runs great when not needing repairs. Like the others, engine light never turns off. Fuel pump replaced, hoses replaced, but beware the biggest problem is the engine is on top. The labor costs are double due to this fact and since they no longer make this type, the parts are hard to find and costly. Good freeway car but the maintenence was costly due to parts and labor costs. All mechanics hated working on this car and I paid for it. They commented never to buy a Cougar again....not a mechanics favorite and you will feel it in your pocket.

Nice interior, smooth ride on freeway, gas mileage pretty good.

Small back seats, hard for passengers to get out of, labor costs doubled, lots and lots of repairs on annual basis. Owned for 5 years.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By dquinonees
on 03/26/11 21:53 PM (PDT)

I purchased a used 1999 Mercury Cougar in 2006. I was told the only problem it had was that the alarm sometimes came on unexpectedly. The alarm would even come on, at times, while I was driving. After 10 months of visiting the same mechanic over and over, I took the car to a Ford dealership where it was repaired. Next, I incurred problems with the radiator, alternator, breaks, belts, fuel pump, water pump, the fuse box and finally the front axle. The car now sits in my driveway and I don't intend to spend another penny repairing it. I cannot but wonder if it had been a whole lot cheaper if I had just had all new parts installed including a new engine. It was without doubt a nightmare car and I've read elsewhere that Mercury's leave a lot to be desired. All this said, I love the vehicle design from the body to the interior but mechically, the car is a wretch.

By dquinonees
on 03/26/11 21:53 PM (PDT)