1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
23 Times to the dealer for warranty work
By Tavy on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

In short, this is the worst built car I have ever owned. I had it in for warranty work 23 times in the time that I owned it which was only about 33 months. Between warranty work and regular service, it was in the shop about 3-4 days a month for almost 3 years. Getting rid of it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Door open sensor, check engine light, misfiring cylinder, suspension end links, transmission, brake rotor life is horrendous, trunk latch release, sunroof, dash illumination, the list goes on... I'll never buy another Ford.

gotta try it
By 5yr Cougarowner on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I have had my Cougar for 5 years now and I have no major complaints. I have had the alternator replaced and some computer problems with the dash, but overall I have been pleased and feel I have gotten my monies worth out of it despite some problems that needed to be fixed.

Very pleased with Cougar
By JDHeyne on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This was an eBay car and turned out to be great! I bought it about a year and a half ago, have put 50,000 miles on it (It is now at 110,000) and is still going great.The only major problem was the moonroof was not working(which I knew at the time of purchase) and letting a friend try to fix the moonroof. Driving 75 down the interstate the moonroof lifted from the passenger to the drivers side doing a 180. Nothing wrong with the car, just kinda funny looking back at it. It scared the ... outta me at the time. The reason for this is letting my friend "fix" it. Only other time it was in the shop (less than 1,000 miles ago) was due to an exhaust leak

no wonder they were discontinued
By cougarmuscle on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

My cougar's history...headlights and covers were replaced within 6 months of purchase...transmission went up at 19,000 miles(transmission slipped into neutral on highway, was nearly run over by big rig), sunfroof was replaced within 3 years, electrical and computer problems too numerous to list...it is sitting in a repair shop as I write this critique for same problem...and there were countless recalls issued..in general fun to drive when it's operating but I'll never by another Ford or Mercury product......

Still loving it
By cynco on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Bought new in 99 and still driving it at 53000m. I love the way it handles and it still looks great. Some mechanical issues- fuel pump, trunk latch, and engine light. Fuel pump was the biggest headache - finally got Ford to refund repair cost. (I won't deal with the dealer for repairs!) Overall, I can't complain - it has been reliable and it rides great.

Is that a Jag your drving?
By coyotefreek on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Well dispite no one ever knowing what a Mercury Cougar is, they always seem to love it once they see it. The design is great, the interior confortable. The storage with this hatch is amazing, just last week I took home a 7 foot long storage unit, and had the hatch shut. The car is a Ford so it does suffer from lots of creeks and rattles, though reliablilty has so far been good. Power is supprizingly sporty despite the slow 0- 60 time. I think its very fun to drive, main complaints being a lousy auto tranny and a large amount of body roll with spirited cornering. I highly suggest this car to those who are looking.

I LOVED BOTH OF MINE
By HOT BLONDE on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd Cougar. I totaled out my first one and walked away with just a few bumps and scrapes. Then I bought another one just the same but a different color. Then a month later some stupid guy in a truck hit me from behind going 55 mph. Totaled that one out too and walked I away just a little shook up. I still have the second car...I had get if fixed. This car is very safe...I'm still ALIVE. I loved both of my cougars but now mine in for sale. The only probably I have had with my car is two days ago my alternator went at 88,000 miles.

First Ford, I mean Mercury
By D. Reid on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

A fantastic Car. Been nearly a year since I bought it. Only expenses have been gas and oil. Great on long drives, sporty get up and go, and a head turner in all ways. Only real con for me, gas mileage not as high as I would like it ( 35 per canadian gallon or about 28 per US gallon), but that could be due to my heavy right foot.

my car
By dic on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

this car is an attention getter. It is slow on takeoff but it goes pretty good after that. I use mine to pull my jet- ski and have had no trouble dropping it or pulling it out of the lake.

Love/hate relationship
By tikitime on 04/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This Cougar was a great design- different enough to hold some stylistic ground with the only other daring design of that time the Audi TT. I still love the it and get compliments often. I'm also still impressed with it's material fit & finish which are far beyond most. It has been a reliable car on many road trips and in the daily commute. Similar problems of engine light, cupholder, defroster grill, etc. Pricey repairs with pwr locks going out at 50k for a cool $600. Brakes lasted til 54k, alt/batt to 58k and tires to 30k. Some engine issues popping up which have me worried but still a darn reliable car that's fun to drive.