Used 1999 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Love my Car
By Drc Pepperville

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I test drove my car with 8 miles. Today I have 241,432+. No joke! It is still going strong. I totally believe in the reliability of my car. I have had very few problems with it. My A/C has always worked, Headlights have never stopped. I replaced the clutch, water pump, timing belt, the usual wear and tear parts. It has been an awesome car from day one and I don't plan on trading it any time soon. Many memories! I get better gas mileage than anyone I work with! Love it,love it, love it! Can't say enough good.

My favorite feature is the trunk space! I can fit 3 ladders, tools, and 3 workers in that car! It does everything!

Better cup holders!

Hunk of Junk
By lalala

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

After 10 years, the car still looks great, but thats just about all I can say. I bought my car new in 1998, and 2 days after I bought it it wouldn't start. This was just the beginning of my problems. The engine light keeps coming on, no matter how much I get the car repaired. The alternator has gone out 3 times, once leaving me stranded on the freeway at 2am in a storm. I am so constricted because with 86000, this car should still have life, but I can't even drive 20 minutes on the freeway without something happening. Oh yeah, and did I mention the sunroof? Don't even get me started.

The looks, and the sound of the engine.

better cupholder, better reliability, more recalls. Better front seats. And also, I'd also like the comfort of knowing that my car will start when I need it to.

I have two Cougars!
By My2cougars

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I love to drive these cars! They can be expensive to fix and a little hard to see out of. The back seat is not a bench, so if you need room in the back, this car is not for you. You can only fit two people in the back, and it doesn't get much leg room. Both of my cup holders are broken, so I have to use the one in the back. There is a lot of trunk space, and the car has pretty good pick up too. But it makes wide turns, forget trying to make a sharp turn, it won't happen. I like the factory rims mine have on them, and I have driven them both to 150,000 miles now. They are an expensive car to fix though, the parts can be kinda hard to find and a little pricey.

My sunroof, the gas mileage, the large trunk, and the 5 disc cd player. I love the look of the car.

Cup holders! The bucket seats in the back look attractive, but can be a problem when you are lugging around more than 2 people. It can be a pain to work on. You can get used to hearing your mechanic grumble, though. Mechanics don't like them because everything is too compact under the hood.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By I luv my cougar

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cougar new in 1999. It had 91 miles on it. I just traded it off 3 days ago with over 128,000 miles on it. I loved that car. Even with that many miles the engine and the transmission are still going strong. The Cougar is built solid and reliable. I traded it because my family is expanding and it is not practical with 2 car seats, but I will miss it terribly.

Solid build, comfortable front seats, and so fun to drive.

Awesome Car
By jdunning

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 108,000 miles on it...my '99 Sable had just crapped out with 220,000 on it so i figured another Mercury would do me good for getting back and forth to college. I now have 139,000 on it and have never had a problem. It has plenty of power except for a dull spot from 3-4000 rpms, then at 4000 she gets up and goes...its the 4 speed auto and it will do 115 in third gear at 6000 rpms...which from a 175 horse v6, is pretty impressive. Another thing is the gas mileage. I get 33mpg on a trip if I drive reasonably. Put your foot in the gas and it drops to about 24.

Engine power at high rpms, awesome acceleration for a small v6, and stylish design. I don't listen to the stock speakers much because I have 2- 12 inch subs and a 1000 watt amp...but when I do they sound pretty good.

The seats could be a little more comfortable but for a small car it has plenty of room...I'm 6,3 and don't drive with the seat all the way back or hit my head off the roof.