1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Piece of Junk
By JTC on 11/08/05 15:58 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

In the 5 years I have had this lemon, I have replaced the alternator twice, the transmission once, the starter, and the blower (only worked on high speed fan). The headlights dim for no apparent reason...the service guy told me that I would have to replace the connector between the starter and alternator ($1,000). I've had nothing but problems with it. I wish I never bought it.

1999 mercury cougar
By f duarte on 11/01/05 19:58 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

The 1999 mercury cougar is a good car to show off, but it runs too slowly. I have an v4 with 120hp when there are many other cars with v4s that have lots more hp.

99 Cougar
By Angela on 10/18/05 17:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

It handles ever so sweet. You are craddled in the seat. The only thing I would change on the vehicle is the rear view mirror. It obstructs your view when coming down or going up a ramp and you are looking ahead. I don't know how they could do it differently - maybe if it was off center and more towards the passenger side? But it is still a sweet ride.

Great Car
By Mike on 08/28/05 21:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Bought the car (V6 and auto) almost 7 years ago and driven 61,000 miles. Have owned about 30 cars over the years including real sports cars and this is about the best. No major problems with the car. Spent less than $100 fixing problems over the years. Put on new tires once and new brakes once. Love the looks of the car and it is unbelievable how much we have hauled using the hatchback. Get 35 miles per gallon on highway at 75 mph and about 24 around town.

purchase only if you're rich
By phantomrogue on 05/24/05 23:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

i can not tell you how bad this car is...i bought it used with 65000 miles on it thinking that it wouldn't give me any problems, because i knew someone who owned one. the repair list is as follows: the tie rod ends went on the car. my mechanic was suprised that i was actually able to drive it without the front axel dropping out. the steering rack went, along with the starter that had to be replaced 2x. and now my mechanic thinks the flywheel needs to be replaced. the sunroof broke, and i had to fix it myself, cause i think you're out of your mind if you are gonna spend over $1000 to get it fixed. the upper and lower intake manifolds went and had to be replaced along with the gaskets.

Great Ride
By Sandino on 05/06/05 15:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

Bought it as a Mechanics special... The spark plugs were fouled... That was it. Runs and looks great. I didn't think I would like it. Even with 129,00 miles on it it drives like new... Amazing

I love my car
By Devin Brooke on 05/05/05 14:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got my car last summer!! And i love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all!! We had the air conditioner worked on but other than that its been great

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By manx kitty on 03/20/05 21:24 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This is my 3rd car and it has been great - no problems whatsoever! It is now 6 years old and has a little over 85,000 miles and the only thing it has been in the shop for is the alternator which went out at 5 years/70,000; however, alternators are a common replacement item on cars. Great gas mileage - I get 6 days out of a tank of gas. I have/will continue to recommend this car to anyone.

All in all, a great vehicle
By Julie on 02/19/05 15:28 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this vehicle after driving a 1993 Ford Probe for 5 1/2 years. It had several things go wrong within the first few months. I figured it was right off the assembly line so it was normal to have a few bugs worked out. The airbag & engine lights came on, it sputtered and died when I drove through puddles. All that were caused by faulty sensors and a loose serpentine belt. I had an extended warranty so thankfully I didn't have to pay for any of it. After it was fixed, I never had another problem.

Great car if you've got $$ to burn.
By she can read on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

The 1999 Cougar is my first car. I've had it for about 2 years now, and am looking for a new car. I recently entered college and switched to commuter status... bad idea with an unreliable Cougar. I love the look of it, and when there's nothing wrong with it, it's an absolutely awesome car to drive. However, it's been in the shop countless times within these 2 years for stupid problems such as an airbag light coming on (there's nothing wrong with the airbags), same with the engine light... and it costs $75 a pop to turn these lights off! It's become a nuisance and in short, I'm looking for a sturdier car with better gas mileage (I only get about 17-18 MPG, 19 or 20 on the highway).