Used 1999 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Best Cougar Ever
By Jose A. M. Nolla

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I had bought 2 Cougars before this one. Some like my 1970 XR-7 with the 4V 335hp V8 had great power but none as nimble as my 1999. I ordered it with the sports package and had some problems getting it to my location in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico since Mercury Hq was not allowing the vehicle to be exported. So my Cougar became the first new edge one to arrive in San Juan. Good Things: Performance when you turn AC off, handling in curvy mountain or country roads, looks from observers and engine sound with free flow mufflers. Many people ask you about it so patience with people who want to buy your car. Bad things: Original tires (which where great) have gone out of production.

Performance without AC. Handling. Looks. Durability.

Headlights need more power New tire to fit car better

Why did they stop making the Cougar?
By Teresa

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

In 2002 I bought a used 1999 Cougar, this proved to be one of my best decisions! I have put thousands of miles on this car. I have popped down the back seats and hauled more than in those toys trucks that are so popular. I have dressed up and taken my girlfriends out on the town in this sporty little car. I have saved so much on my gas bills, with my mileage ranging from 29 to 31 mpg. So I ask why did they stop making this car?

The fact that I can haul huge items and still get great mileage and look good while I do it.

Bring this car back!

Sounds like a cougar
By My_First_Car

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This car is the best. Icould easly take on an Eclipse, Celica, Jetta. it also has extremely good handling and supurb control. Sounds sweet, kind of resembles a cougar's growl. I love my Cougar! The trunk has enough room for a full sized bike.

Love the sun roof. Bucket seats in back. Cruise control on steering wheel is handy. Usually gets about 25 miles per gallon city and 29 highway. Back seats fold down.

Gas cap only clicks once and then you just pull it out.

Good Car!
By Laura

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I have had my car a little over a year. The transmission had a little hiccup but was cheap fix and the alternator went out the first year I had it. I was disgusted at first ( I had downgraded from a Honda Accord) but the car is proving itself worthy! Its a fun car to drive and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance!

Driving! I really love driving this car!

The cupholder is horrible! More stable cupholder and one for the passenger!

By ColeenPFile

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I liked this car very well. I get excellent gas mileage and have owned this car for almost 10 years. It has never given me any problem. I did replace the tires in 2007. Not worn out just dry rot.

It has a lot of get up and go. It is a 5 speed manual transmission. I like the sun roof feature. It is a very smooth ride for being low to the ground.

The only improvement I could suggest is the the brake drum grit gets all over the mags. They should of put brake covers on the vehicle when selling this style