1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Cooper is dying
By Heather on 01/22/09 11:10 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got my Cougar, Cooper as I call him, for my 16th birthday and at 22 now I realize it was the worst purchase I have ever made. I have had problems since day 1, everything from the engine, transmission, sun roof, tires, brakes, catalytic converter, wheel bearings, you name it its needed fixing. I love driving it though. You can beat 90% of the people on the road and it handles like a dream. But dont get used to it. Each year I've put at least $700 into repairs and just this month I was told I have $1200 in repairs. I am currently shopping for a new car. I loved my Cougar and if you dont mind paying for repairs then 99 Cougar is the car for you. But your check engine light will forever be on!

Love It
By KEG on 12/24/08 21:09 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I just bought a used Cougar. The service engine light was on when I got it and after just a few hundred miles it the light started blinking and the car started acting like it was going to fall apart. Once the light stopped blinking, the car started driving right. I am going to get the car checked soon, but overall I love the car and it stills looks brand new and like some of the others say it gets looks and that is what I like. I have a Firebird and Xterra, but would rather drive the Cougar now.

Pleasure to Own
By Display name on 12/14/08 08:10 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Roxy as I like to call her, was mine preowned at 22,000 miles in 2002, now with 67000, there is no end in sight. No you will be winning any drag races with the Cougar, but it can throw you can in your seat when in the mid RPM-band. Plenty of leg from for driver, I am 6-2 and I could not drive if seat was all the way back. Backseats are buckets, neat to sit in, hard to get out of, and hatchback provide low headroom, I still love them. Have gotten over 35 MPG on the highway. Not taxing around city either, probably 27 or 28 with built in MPG calc. Have replaced fuel pump, a few fuses, trunk actuators. Great sound, no blown speakers. No broken head or tail lights after 67000.

Cougars go Roar
By My First Car on 11/30/08 15:00 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got this car used on October 20 of this year. I haven't had many problems with it, other than my heater core on it is broken and it sometimes leaks transmission fluid. But other than that I love this car. The engine is so much fun to listen to. It's pretty fast for a 2.5 V6. Everything works fine in the car. It has a pretty decent sound system, but I'm looking to put some 12's in it. The only problem is that I drive long distances sometimes and I worry about my engine over-heating with my transmission fluid leaking, but other than that I'm very happy with the performance and stability of this car. And I'm glad it's what I got for my first car.

Great car!
By darb1991 on 11/27/08 22:49 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got this car as a first time car, no major issues. Fixed neutral safety switch ($100), getting new motor mounts ($450) New cold air intake, getting cat back exhaust, new tires, car runs great, tight steering, great grip. I have 167,000 miles on it. Runs great still!

Best Cougar Ever
By Jose A. M. Nolla on 10/15/08 14:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I had bought 2 Cougars before this one. Some like my 1970 XR-7 with the 4V 335hp V8 had great power but none as nimble as my 1999. I ordered it with the sports package and had some problems getting it to my location in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico since Mercury Hq was not allowing the vehicle to be exported. So my Cougar became the first new edge one to arrive in San Juan. Good Things: Performance when you turn AC off, handling in curvy mountain or country roads, looks from observers and engine sound with free flow mufflers. Many people ask you about it so patience with people who want to buy your car. Bad things: Original tires (which where great) have gone out of production.

Why did they stop making the Cougar?
By Teresa on 09/08/08 04:57 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

In 2002 I bought a used 1999 Cougar, this proved to be one of my best decisions! I have put thousands of miles on this car. I have popped down the back seats and hauled more than in those toys trucks that are so popular. I have dressed up and taken my girlfriends out on the town in this sporty little car. I have saved so much on my gas bills, with my mileage ranging from 29 to 31 mpg. So I ask why did they stop making this car?

Sounds like a cougar
By My_First_Car on 06/29/08 21:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This car is the best. Icould easly take on an Eclipse, Celica, Jetta. it also has extremely good handling and supurb control. Sounds sweet, kind of resembles a cougar's growl. I love my Cougar! The trunk has enough room for a full sized bike.

Good Car!
By Laura on 05/27/08 13:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I have had my car a little over a year. The transmission had a little hiccup but was cheap fix and the alternator went out the first year I had it. I was disgusted at first ( I had downgraded from a Honda Accord) but the car is proving itself worthy! Its a fun car to drive and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance!

By ColeenPFile on 05/21/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I liked this car very well. I get excellent gas mileage and have owned this car for almost 10 years. It has never given me any problem. I did replace the tires in 2007. Not worn out just dry rot.