Used 1999 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercury Cougar

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

I love/Husband Hates
By kac4

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Does someone have an answer ? when my husband first bought this car for me this summer it had 112,000 on it. An let me just tell you I can usually get miles out of my cars. but so far I haven't been able to, we thought that the headlights were the ownely thing wrong. But we were wrong there is a electrical problam, the wheel bearing, the radio buzzes, if I use my rear wiper then my front ones go off too!Then we went too go get a new excaust an come too find out the k-frame rotted out so bad that I could put my foot through one of the holes. I'm lucky my family didn't get hurt. So anyways my car has 18 open recalls did it get fixed NO !! I say ford should do something about this.

Favorite Features

6 disk cd changer, power seats,power windows.manually transmission

Suggested Improvements

move the altnator to either the side of the motor or top

Worst Mistake EVER!
By SunshineE

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This car was the worst mistake my father and I could ever make. I should have known better. Its American made! Everything that could go wrong did. My father spent so much money fixing this car its ridiculous. He spent more than the actual cars worth! It has been in and out of our mechanic since Dec 2009, I've had it less than a year and I'm already selling this piece of junk. The gas mileage is horrible. 16.5 mpg (city) I should be driving a huge SUV with that gas mileage. It was nothing but headaches beginning to end. I would strongly advise anyone to never buy this car. I can't wait to get rid of it. I'm scared every time I get in it. I always think its going to break down on me. Never again!

Favorite Features

Leather Seats, Sunroof was fun, Sound system was really good & the six disc cd changer was awesome.

Suggested Improvements

The a/c was horrible! The backseats were real funky. I hate the design and always heard people complain. The hood would get extremely hot and I hated that. Definitely worst car build.

Love the Coug
By Shaun

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this vehicle in 2002, and Overall, I cannot complain. I have had very minimal issues with this car. I did not start putting money into it until the year or so, and even then it hasn't broke my bank account. Repairs have included: brakes, alternator, and new tires. If they were still making these and I wasn't in need of an SUV I would not think twice about getting another one. They are fun to drive, handle nicely, and it has done me well in the Canadian winters.

Favorite Features

The sporty look, manual, the way it handles on the snow and ice, and lack of maintenance needed.

Suggested Improvements

Like other reviews the check engine light has been on for reasons unknown, and the button to pop the trunk can be finicky at times (annoying). Drink holder too is not the best.

Sad to see it go
By Sarah

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I have had problems with my car since the day i bought it. Timing belt, alternator, transmission (TWICE), paint fading, A/C compressor and clutch, Serpentine belt, vacuum hoses, O2 sensors, fuel filter, battery, and i think there is more just cant remember everything right now, but when it was running good i loved this car! I cant keep putting money into it though time to let her go :(

Not So Great, But Not Terrible
By patrick.168

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have had my Cougar for two years now. I am very ready to sell it. The transmission is slipping, the struts are going bad, the passenger window is breaking, it's rusting, and the radio is poor. I have had to do quite a few repairs on this car. I have had to get new tires, whole new braking system, new shocks, like a few different, expensive things done to the motor. My service receipt pile is quite large. My car is currently in the shop for a blockage that isn't allowing coolant to get through so it's over heating. I have heard worse stories however. I guess maybe mine is just getting old. It's a '99 with 122,222 miles on it and it had been wrecked previously.

Favorite Features

pretty powerful, moon roof

Suggested Improvements

better cup holder; the cup holder is a piece of crap; you pull it out and flip it over to use and at first you're like "oh that's pretty nifty," but no, beware of when you turn, the cup holder is going to tip over, resulting in hot coffee all over your pants