1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Great
By Cougar on 02/12/10 19:27 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Great Car. To the person who bought their Cougar with 100K miles and ripped it for "poor quality". Anyone who buys a car like a Cougar with 100K miles and expects it to be "ok" needs to research more. And to think Ford should repay the customer who bought a used car with 100K is just down right funny. By the way, my cougar didn't start having troubles till 120K miles. Got rid of it in 2008 cause the tranny went out. I loved that car, no problems till 2008. If you keep up the maintenance on any car, it will last.

Miss it a lot
By kljw04 on 11/03/09 16:26 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I wish I still had this car! It was fun to drive, handled well and had a sleek sporty look and it got really good gas mileage. If I ever find another one just like it I would buy it again.

Cougar
By Not worth it on 11/02/09 08:42 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Runs great when not needing repairs. Like the others, engine light never turns off. Fuel pump replaced, hoses replaced, but beware the biggest problem is the engine is on top. The labor costs are double due to this fact and since they no longer make this type, the parts are hard to find and costly. Good freeway car but the maintenence was costly due to parts and labor costs. All mechanics hated working on this car and I paid for it. They commented never to buy a Cougar again....not a mechanics favorite and you will feel it in your pocket.

great car, reiable and fun to drive
By josh on 08/29/09 19:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 7 yrs now it has 185000 miles and is still running strong.. I have not done any major repairs to this car and would recommend it to anyone..

going strong
By plybybunnie on 07/16/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

a've had my cougar 'georgette' for 5 years now, just turned over 200,000 miles, all original parts. very good running, reliable, just now starting to think about replacing the important parts. i LOVE my car and it has served me well. i don't see how anyone could not be satisfied with one. they must drive worse than me. i've taken my car cross-country several times, raced it, taken it camping. for a small car, it can hold and handle whatever i've dished out. thank-you cougar makers! i am one very satisfied customer!

My 2nd Baby
By Cougar1999 on 07/16/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I just got the car and so far have only two complaints about it. 1... The sagging doors. Pins cannot be replaced I have to actually buy complete hinges for it. 2... The sun/moonroof clips broke and it's impossible to find parts for this car. My Cougar currently has 200,650 miles on it with a five-speed V6 and runs strong. The computer claims 27.3mpg so I'm going to actually perform my own calculations to see if its correct or not. Car is a good car and I intend on putting many many more miles on it. Maybe I'll make 300k who knows!!

Love this car
By MJH22 on 04/12/09 17:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as my second vehicle when i was 17. I have now had it for over a year and i love the car. it has more power than i expected from a small car. it gets me where i want to go without any problems. Since i got the car i have only had to make some minor repairs. New tires, and i had to replace the rear bearings on the driver side. good sound system. lots of comfort in the front. the back is slightly crammed but the bucket seats are fun to sit in. overall i would recommend this car.

Horrible mistake
By Mistake!! on 03/11/09 01:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with close to 100,000 miles on it, i took it to a mechanic and he said everything was fine, a few months later everything started breaking down, i had to replace all of the strut's and already rebuilt the transmission twice because the gear's would not switch, this car is horrible i wouldnt suggest to get it, it has so many problems that i just junked it.

A So-So
By Quen on 02/18/09 11:36 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

When I got this car for my 16th birthday I was so excited, but only 3 days later I was taking it to get the belt fixed and the engine light never went off. After fixing all the problems though it's pretty reliable. I can also say it drives great and has great gas mileage for a on-the-go-teen.

Cooper is dying
By Heather on 01/22/09 11:10 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got my Cougar, Cooper as I call him, for my 16th birthday and at 22 now I realize it was the worst purchase I have ever made. I have had problems since day 1, everything from the engine, transmission, sun roof, tires, brakes, catalytic converter, wheel bearings, you name it its needed fixing. I love driving it though. You can beat 90% of the people on the road and it handles like a dream. But dont get used to it. Each year I've put at least $700 into repairs and just this month I was told I have $1200 in repairs. I am currently shopping for a new car. I loved my Cougar and if you dont mind paying for repairs then 99 Cougar is the car for you. But your check engine light will forever be on!