Used 1999 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

BAD CAR breaks down monthly
By makemelaugh

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have owned my cougar since 1999 and it has low miles but there is ALWAYS something wrong with it- engine light coming on for months, then breaks, then had to have switch on LIGHTS for 300 some $$ then broke down twice on vacation overheating and was towed for electrical problems again when we wanted to drive to Fla.! This thing's a BAD CAR.

Favorite Features

Pretty car handles well if you can afford all the REPAIRS!!

Suggested Improvements

Make it DEPENDABLE, I do better with my old 66 Fury!!!

The perfect car
By old78chev

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for my wife and we have driven it everywhere. We drove it to and from the state of Washington and Oklahoma. You want a great gas car that looks good this is your car.

Favorite Features

The V6

Suggested Improvements

Moon roof

fun little car
By Mr. Fields

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I owned the car for 5 years till somebody lost the load they were hauling on the highway. It was a total loss. The car ran beautifully at all times. And obviously a safe car for the road. I walked away without a scratch from the accident. I would recommend owning this car for almost anyone that enjoys a small sporty car without the sports car insurance rates. The seats were always comfortable and held up to the wear of 20k miles a year.

Favorite Features

My favorite features were the easy access controllers and the cd changer in the trunk. Although I do wish there was also a cd player in the dash as well or a changer in the dash stereo.

Suggested Improvements

As the headlamp covers aged and got weathered, the lamps didn't seem to put out as much viewing light.

I LOVE MY CAR - No problems in 5 years
By Original Owner

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought the car new and haven't had to replace anything but gas, oil, coolent, tires and window switches. I figure if the only surprise after 80K miles was the two window switches on the driver side, I'm in good shape. I've taken it on numerous road trips and it's my daily driver.

Favorite Features

When it was new I would get interested gawkers at EVERY fill-up. I also didn't see another cougar for three weeks after I bought mine. I really like the get-up-and-go with the V6. The reliability of this car has been ROCK solid, and 5 years later I'm not looking to replace it.

Suggested Improvements

Ummm... that @#$%# cup holder really sucks. I have to keep the center console clear so that I can put my drink there. The back seat is a little cramped - especially in the headroom category. Finally a carseat will fit but it's hard to install because of the deep buckets.

99 Cougar
By dlrkid1

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This car is great to drive. I love it. It is so fun to drive and it has plenty of room. Everything is easily accessible and the sound system is great. No complaints.

Favorite Features

I love the speed control volume, the manual transmission, the contour of the seats...everything.