Used 1999 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Love/hate relationship
By tikitime

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This Cougar was a great design- different enough to hold some stylistic ground with the only other daring design of that time the Audi TT. I still love the it and get compliments often. I'm also still impressed with it's material fit & finish which are far beyond most. It has been a reliable car on many road trips and in the daily commute. Similar problems of engine light, cupholder, defroster grill, etc. Pricey repairs with pwr locks going out at 50k for a cool $600. Brakes lasted til 54k, alt/batt to 58k and tires to 30k. Some engine issues popping up which have me worried but still a darn reliable car that's fun to drive.

Styling and charisma. This car still has a face apart from the pack. Hatchback versatility and I actually love the back seats as do my passengers.

Ummm, cupholder, a factory radio which was anything but "premium", shotty electrical system, a gas guage which doesn't go from 1/2 to empty in 50 miles.

A decent buy
By Byronape

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought the car with 125k miles on it for about $2000 under book. The interior has held up well, but the paint has lost some of it't luster. The engine is still reasonably strong, and the steering has held up well. A bit heavy in the corners, but not too bad. If you are intrested in this kind of thing, there are a few places to find aftermarket parts for this car. A web search should bring several up. All in all, my time with this car has been well spent with only a single and inexpensive problem that had me driving a Geo Metro (I still have nightmares from that thing) for a week. I am not sorry I bought the car at all.

V6's power, Sunroof, great sound system.

Of course the cupholder is worthless. Don't suppose it matters now, since the thing is no longer in production. Still, in the aftermarket there are many things that will help this car greatly.

Get Rid of It Now!!!!!!!!
By Kateybug

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

From day one this car has been a P.O.S. I had it in the shop more than i drove it and the dealership would never fix it right. Recently i have put over 900$ into the car and it still isn't working right. It has had 2 alternators, 2 batteries, 2 fuel pumps, ignition coil replaced, control arms went bad, tires go at only 13000 miles. The car only has around 44000 miles on it as of 2/1/04. Mass air flow sensor was replaced, computer has had to be reset over 10 times. Please take my advice get the extended warrenty i didn't and my pocket is paying for it. I know i got a lemon.. I decided to trade it in b/c i got so sick of it being so undependable.

Style

They need to recall the whole car and do it over better.

GREAT CAR FOR THE MONEY
By kiltliftertexas

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Those of you who are considering should feel comfortable buying this sleek model coupe. I have highly enjoyed my experience. My only advice would be to make sure that the electronics and braking systems are in good shape. I have not had any real problems with mine, but I have heard of a few.

All of the instruments are fun and modern. The engine is tight as is the steering.

happy to have it
By Happy to own it

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Well, I am happy to say that I have not had any problems with my cougar minus 1 electrical problem which seems to be the norm here but it was not expensive to fix- every car has some problems! The car is fun to drive, great handling and quick when it needs to be. I am only at about 65000km on the car but so far so good.I would not have a problem recomending this car to anyone.

I love the handling in corners, and I love the electronic readout functions. Radio/cd is above average quality - surprising for an american car. Good trunck space.

Fuel economy is a bit below where I'd like it to be. Yes the cup holder is not the best. The car is a bit noisy on the freeway (wind/egine noise)

• SUV