1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Sad to see it go
By Sarah on 07/18/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I have had problems with my car since the day i bought it. Timing belt, alternator, transmission (TWICE), paint fading, A/C compressor and clutch, Serpentine belt, vacuum hoses, O2 sensors, fuel filter, battery, and i think there is more just cant remember everything right now, but when it was running good i loved this car! I cant keep putting money into it though time to let her go :(

Miss it a lot
By kljw04 on 11/03/09 16:26 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I wish I still had this car! It was fun to drive, handled well and had a sleek sporty look and it got really good gas mileage. If I ever find another one just like it I would buy it again.

Why did they stop making the Cougar?
By Teresa on 09/08/08 04:57 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

In 2002 I bought a used 1999 Cougar, this proved to be one of my best decisions! I have put thousands of miles on this car. I have popped down the back seats and hauled more than in those toys trucks that are so popular. I have dressed up and taken my girlfriends out on the town in this sporty little car. I have saved so much on my gas bills, with my mileage ranging from 29 to 31 mpg. So I ask why did they stop making this car?

Good Car!
By Laura on 05/27/08 13:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I have had my car a little over a year. The transmission had a little hiccup but was cheap fix and the alternator went out the first year I had it. I was disgusted at first ( I had downgraded from a Honda Accord) but the car is proving itself worthy! Its a fun car to drive and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance!

Love my Car
By Drc Pepperville on 05/20/08 13:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I test drove my car with 8 miles. Today I have 241,432+. No joke! It is still going strong. I totally believe in the reliability of my car. I have had very few problems with it. My A/C has always worked, Headlights have never stopped. I replaced the clutch, water pump, timing belt, the usual wear and tear parts. It has been an awesome car from day one and I don't plan on trading it any time soon. Many memories! I get better gas mileage than anyone I work with! Love it,love it, love it! Can't say enough good.

Reliable
By Jeff on 01/07/08 15:49 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

The 4 cyl. is very reliable. But the same engine is reliable in its other platforms as well. I've beaten the heck out of this car and it is still ticking away. Could use a tune up at this point in its life, but I've had it since mile 4 and it's been a great car.

My Cougar
By tmccli3 on 07/14/07 23:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

Fun to drive. Not very many aftermarket parts available but I am doing what I can to make it a part of who I am. The 4 cylinder has next to nothing for performance upgrades. I don't have a v6, so it is a struggle to add performance. I trust the reliability to drive it anywhere. I had it for about two weeks and took a 2500 mile road trip when it had 167,000 miles on.

I loved it while i had it
By Great First Car on 06/06/06 12:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I recently just purchesed a new car so no longer have this car but while i had it i had a great time. I received the car as a grad gift 2 years ago and from the date i got it 'til the day i traded it i loved this car! I did have the leak issue that everyone else did but it was a blast to drive & with the after-market exhaust I added it really turned heads!

Mercury Cougars Water Leaks
By Ron LeHotsky on 05/02/06 12:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

Mercury Cougar allows water to leak into areas that should be kept dry: driver's seat, passenger's seat, & especially hatch area. 'Had to throw out multiple carpets and deal with stench of mildew. 'Able to see where water enters into hatch (through a spot welded seem near tail-lights) but solid sheet metal is above this area; multiple dealerships have been unable to diagnose how it gets in. Source is definitely not the rubber seals around the tail-light or hatch; these are tight. Only other source might be rubber gutter seals above windows, but there is no way to know unless they are removed. Problem is they can't be replaced. New ones must be purchased, custom painted, & installed.

1999 mercury cougar
By f duarte on 11/01/05 19:58 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

The 1999 mercury cougar is a good car to show off, but it runs too slowly. I have an v4 with 120hp when there are many other cars with v4s that have lots more hp.