Used 1999 Mercury Cougar I4 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Sad to see it go
By Sarah

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I have had problems with my car since the day i bought it. Timing belt, alternator, transmission (TWICE), paint fading, A/C compressor and clutch, Serpentine belt, vacuum hoses, O2 sensors, fuel filter, battery, and i think there is more just cant remember everything right now, but when it was running good i loved this car! I cant keep putting money into it though time to let her go :(

Miss it a lot
By kljw04

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I wish I still had this car! It was fun to drive, handled well and had a sleek sporty look and it got really good gas mileage. If I ever find another one just like it I would buy it again.

Loved driving it.

Back seats were angled funny, but I never sat back there, so it didn't really matter to me. ;)

Why did they stop making the Cougar?
By Teresa

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

In 2002 I bought a used 1999 Cougar, this proved to be one of my best decisions! I have put thousands of miles on this car. I have popped down the back seats and hauled more than in those toys trucks that are so popular. I have dressed up and taken my girlfriends out on the town in this sporty little car. I have saved so much on my gas bills, with my mileage ranging from 29 to 31 mpg. So I ask why did they stop making this car?

The fact that I can haul huge items and still get great mileage and look good while I do it.

Bring this car back!

Good Car!
By Laura

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I have had my car a little over a year. The transmission had a little hiccup but was cheap fix and the alternator went out the first year I had it. I was disgusted at first ( I had downgraded from a Honda Accord) but the car is proving itself worthy! Its a fun car to drive and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance!

Driving! I really love driving this car!

The cupholder is horrible! More stable cupholder and one for the passenger!

Love my Car
By Drc Pepperville

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I test drove my car with 8 miles. Today I have 241,432+. No joke! It is still going strong. I totally believe in the reliability of my car. I have had very few problems with it. My A/C has always worked, Headlights have never stopped. I replaced the clutch, water pump, timing belt, the usual wear and tear parts. It has been an awesome car from day one and I don't plan on trading it any time soon. Many memories! I get better gas mileage than anyone I work with! Love it,love it, love it! Can't say enough good.

My favorite feature is the trunk space! I can fit 3 ladders, tools, and 3 workers in that car! It does everything!

Better cup holders!