1999 Mercury Cougar I4 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

1999 Cougar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Sort Reviews by

Love my 99 Cougar "big red"
By se7enbender

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I got my 1999 Mercury Cougar 2 and 1/2 months ago for $500; was my half brother's before but wasn't well taken care of. Had to make numerous repairs to get it running and did some body work on top of that. Now, with almost 94000 miles (had 92k when I got it) runs like new. Would def. recommend to someone who wants a sportier feel

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, nice torque, decent performance, and VERY sporty looking; also has a very sturdy build

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are lacking, engine layout is RIDICULOUS, computer system fails too easily and car can have rough handling if you're not careful

Hate to love it
By ghignight

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I got my 1999 Mercury Cougar about a year ago. I really just got it because of the gas milage. I have had only normal wear and tear out of it. Tires, battery ect...when I got it it had 115k and a year later it sits at 140k......I have no major complains its fast and really sporty looking. It makes a good car for men for women......would make a great first car

Favorite Features

The outside look, gas milage, trunk space, sporty image, 6 disc changer,

Suggested Improvements

No cruise control, lack of room in the backseat

new school's "old school"
By petarvn1

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I'm writing this review for a friend who recently got a V6 Cougar with 215K miles on it. I'm writing the review since i'm the reason he owns it. I got this as my 1st car. We bought it off a sweet old couple who had it since new, and it was never driven hard. I owned it for a whole 2 weeks, before my friend bought it from me for exactly what i paid for it originally. it looks more expensive than it is outside, but the basic cloth interior is not too comfy or good looking. The engine, though is amazing! shame i had the auto, since i know that a manual would be much more fun. Great 1st car, and great sport coupe on a budget, since it is 14 years old now.

Favorite Features

The smooth 2.5 V6, the looks, the trunk (held 3 sets of skis, with 3 in the car)

Suggested Improvements

rear headroom, cloth interior, slushbox auto.

Great Reliable Car!
By sprotn_candice

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I have a 99 Mercury Cougar V6 Automatic. My parents bought it for me back in '03 with about 32k miles on it. 10 years later, with 155k miles and it is still a great car. All cars break, that is inevitable, but it never left me stranded and always got me home or to the mechanic. Very reliable, sturdy and well built. My interior still looks close to new. Regular oil changes, tires, and brakes. All the norm. This is the perfect first car for a new driver. People are always surprised when I tell them how old my car is. They can't believe it. I'm sad to be trading it in for something newer in the next month.

Favorite Features

Sporty Style, Great Price, Great Gas Mileage, Roomy for a 2 door, Very Reliable!

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders would have been nice. When I bought it the collapsible front cup holder was missing so I only had the one in the back.

Great car for the price!
By wicked_gk

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $400 not-running. It had the common fuel-pump failure. Cost me $200 for a new one with labor. The mechanic then told me the engine had been over-heated which I suspected. Luckily Ford cross-platforms many of their vechicles so another engine was cheap ($350). Swapped engines and ever since its been running like new :) Interior quality is high quality and the suspension is rides smooth. Will be keeping this car till it stops running :)

Favorite Features

nice looking interior, high quality interior, great suspension

I love/Husband Hates
By kac4

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

Does someone have an answer ? when my husband first bought this car for me this summer it had 112,000 on it. An let me just tell you I can usually get miles out of my cars. but so far I haven't been able to, we thought that the headlights were the ownely thing wrong. But we were wrong there is a electrical problam, the wheel bearing, the radio buzzes, if I use my rear wiper then my front ones go off too!Then we went too go get a new excaust an come too find out the k-frame rotted out so bad that I could put my foot through one of the holes. I'm lucky my family didn't get hurt. So anyways my car has 18 open recalls did it get fixed NO !! I say ford should do something about this.

Favorite Features

6 disk cd changer, power seats,power windows.manually transmission

Suggested Improvements

move the altnator to either the side of the motor or top

Worst Mistake EVER!
By SunshineE

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

This car was the worst mistake my father and I could ever make. I should have known better. Its American made! Everything that could go wrong did. My father spent so much money fixing this car its ridiculous. He spent more than the actual cars worth! It has been in and out of our mechanic since Dec 2009, I've had it less than a year and I'm already selling this piece of junk. The gas mileage is horrible. 16.5 mpg (city) I should be driving a huge SUV with that gas mileage. It was nothing but headaches beginning to end. I would strongly advise anyone to never buy this car. I can't wait to get rid of it. I'm scared every time I get in it. I always think its going to break down on me. Never again!

Favorite Features

Leather Seats, Sunroof was fun, Sound system was really good & the six disc cd changer was awesome.

Suggested Improvements

The a/c was horrible! The backseats were real funky. I hate the design and always heard people complain. The hood would get extremely hot and I hated that. Definitely worst car build.

Love the Coug
By Shaun

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this vehicle in 2002, and Overall, I cannot complain. I have had very minimal issues with this car. I did not start putting money into it until the year or so, and even then it hasn't broke my bank account. Repairs have included: brakes, alternator, and new tires. If they were still making these and I wasn't in need of an SUV I would not think twice about getting another one. They are fun to drive, handle nicely, and it has done me well in the Canadian winters.

Favorite Features

The sporty look, manual, the way it handles on the snow and ice, and lack of maintenance needed.

Suggested Improvements

Like other reviews the check engine light has been on for reasons unknown, and the button to pop the trunk can be finicky at times (annoying). Drink holder too is not the best.

Sad to see it go
By Sarah

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback I4 2dr Coupe

I have had problems with my car since the day i bought it. Timing belt, alternator, transmission (TWICE), paint fading, A/C compressor and clutch, Serpentine belt, vacuum hoses, O2 sensors, fuel filter, battery, and i think there is more just cant remember everything right now, but when it was running good i loved this car! I cant keep putting money into it though time to let her go :(

Not So Great, But Not Terrible
By patrick.168

1999 Mercury Cougar Hatchback V6 2dr Coupe

I have had my Cougar for two years now. I am very ready to sell it. The transmission is slipping, the struts are going bad, the passenger window is breaking, it's rusting, and the radio is poor. I have had to do quite a few repairs on this car. I have had to get new tires, whole new braking system, new shocks, like a few different, expensive things done to the motor. My service receipt pile is quite large. My car is currently in the shop for a blockage that isn't allowing coolant to get through so it's over heating. I have heard worse stories however. I guess maybe mine is just getting old. It's a '99 with 122,222 miles on it and it had been wrecked previously.

Favorite Features

pretty powerful, moon roof

Suggested Improvements

better cup holder; the cup holder is a piece of crap; you pull it out and flip it over to use and at first you're like "oh that's pretty nifty," but no, beware of when you turn, the cup holder is going to tip over, resulting in hot coffee all over your pants