1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:
Hate to love it
By ghignight on 09/14/13 00:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got my 1999 Mercury Cougar about a year ago. I really just got it because of the gas milage. I have had only normal wear and tear out of it. Tires, battery ect...when I got it it had 115k and a year later it sits at 140k......I have no major complains its fast and really sporty looking. It makes a good car for men for women......would make a great first car

new school's "old school"
By petarvn1 on 03/07/13 21:03 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I'm writing this review for a friend who recently got a V6 Cougar with 215K miles on it. I'm writing the review since i'm the reason he owns it. I got this as my 1st car. We bought it off a sweet old couple who had it since new, and it was never driven hard. I owned it for a whole 2 weeks, before my friend bought it from me for exactly what i paid for it originally. it looks more expensive than it is outside, but the basic cloth interior is not too comfy or good looking. The engine, though is amazing! shame i had the auto, since i know that a manual would be much more fun. Great 1st car, and great sport coupe on a budget, since it is 14 years old now.

Great Reliable Car!
By sprotn_candice on 01/26/13 18:53 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have a 99 Mercury Cougar V6 Automatic. My parents bought it for me back in '03 with about 32k miles on it. 10 years later, with 155k miles and it is still a great car. All cars break, that is inevitable, but it never left me stranded and always got me home or to the mechanic. Very reliable, sturdy and well built. My interior still looks close to new. Regular oil changes, tires, and brakes. All the norm. This is the perfect first car for a new driver. People are always surprised when I tell them how old my car is. They can't believe it. I'm sad to be trading it in for something newer in the next month.

Great car for the price!
By wicked_gk on 01/24/12 13:12 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $400 not-running. It had the common fuel-pump failure. Cost me $200 for a new one with labor. The mechanic then told me the engine had been over-heated which I suspected. Luckily Ford cross-platforms many of their vechicles so another engine was cheap ($350). Swapped engines and ever since its been running like new :) Interior quality is high quality and the suspension is rides smooth. Will be keeping this car till it stops running :)

I love/Husband Hates
By kac4 on 12/20/10 07:07 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

Does someone have an answer ? when my husband first bought this car for me this summer it had 112,000 on it. An let me just tell you I can usually get miles out of my cars. but so far I haven't been able to, we thought that the headlights were the ownely thing wrong. But we were wrong there is a electrical problam, the wheel bearing, the radio buzzes, if I use my rear wiper then my front ones go off too!Then we went too go get a new excaust an come too find out the k-frame rotted out so bad that I could put my foot through one of the holes. I'm lucky my family didn't get hurt. So anyways my car has 18 open recalls did it get fixed NO !! I say ford should do something about this.

Worst Mistake EVER!
By SunshineE on 08/28/10 07:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

This car was the worst mistake my father and I could ever make. I should have known better. Its American made! Everything that could go wrong did. My father spent so much money fixing this car its ridiculous. He spent more than the actual cars worth! It has been in and out of our mechanic since Dec 2009, I've had it less than a year and I'm already selling this piece of junk. The gas mileage is horrible. 16.5 mpg (city) I should be driving a huge SUV with that gas mileage. It was nothing but headaches beginning to end. I would strongly advise anyone to never buy this car. I can't wait to get rid of it. I'm scared every time I get in it. I always think its going to break down on me. Never again!

Love the Coug
By Shaun on 08/26/10 20:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this vehicle in 2002, and Overall, I cannot complain. I have had very minimal issues with this car. I did not start putting money into it until the year or so, and even then it hasn't broke my bank account. Repairs have included: brakes, alternator, and new tires. If they were still making these and I wasn't in need of an SUV I would not think twice about getting another one. They are fun to drive, handle nicely, and it has done me well in the Canadian winters.

Sad to see it go
By Sarah on 07/18/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar I4 2dr Coupe

I have had problems with my car since the day i bought it. Timing belt, alternator, transmission (TWICE), paint fading, A/C compressor and clutch, Serpentine belt, vacuum hoses, O2 sensors, fuel filter, battery, and i think there is more just cant remember everything right now, but when it was running good i loved this car! I cant keep putting money into it though time to let her go :(

Not So Great, But Not Terrible
By patrick.168 on 06/08/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have had my Cougar for two years now. I am very ready to sell it. The transmission is slipping, the struts are going bad, the passenger window is breaking, it's rusting, and the radio is poor. I have had to do quite a few repairs on this car. I have had to get new tires, whole new braking system, new shocks, like a few different, expensive things done to the motor. My service receipt pile is quite large. My car is currently in the shop for a blockage that isn't allowing coolant to get through so it's over heating. I have heard worse stories however. I guess maybe mine is just getting old. It's a '99 with 122,222 miles on it and it had been wrecked previously.

Great First Car
By rr16 on 03/03/10 20:19 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I just turned 16 and i wanted to buy a car that i would love but a car that wouldn't completely drain my savings. The 99 cougar was perfect. It rides nice for a small car, it is fast and it gives you a feeling of security when your in it. All of the controls are easy to access while driving, and the heating and air conditioning work in seconds. If your looking for a car that makes peoples heads turn, you need this car. The great thing about it is you can't tell its 11 years old.