Used 1999 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Love my 99 Cougar "big red"
By se7enbender

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got my 1999 Mercury Cougar 2 and 1/2 months ago for $500; was my half brother's before but wasn't well taken care of. Had to make numerous repairs to get it running and did some body work on top of that. Now, with almost 94000 miles (had 92k when I got it) runs like new. Would def. recommend to someone who wants a sportier feel

Fun to drive, nice torque, decent performance, and VERY sporty looking; also has a very sturdy build

Cupholders are lacking, engine layout is RIDICULOUS, computer system fails too easily and car can have rough handling if you're not careful

Hate to love it
By ghignight

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I got my 1999 Mercury Cougar about a year ago. I really just got it because of the gas milage. I have had only normal wear and tear out of it. Tires, battery ect...when I got it it had 115k and a year later it sits at 140k......I have no major complains its fast and really sporty looking. It makes a good car for men for women......would make a great first car

The outside look, gas milage, trunk space, sporty image, 6 disc changer,

No cruise control, lack of room in the backseat

new school's "old school"
By petarvn1

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I'm writing this review for a friend who recently got a V6 Cougar with 215K miles on it. I'm writing the review since i'm the reason he owns it. I got this as my 1st car. We bought it off a sweet old couple who had it since new, and it was never driven hard. I owned it for a whole 2 weeks, before my friend bought it from me for exactly what i paid for it originally. it looks more expensive than it is outside, but the basic cloth interior is not too comfy or good looking. The engine, though is amazing! shame i had the auto, since i know that a manual would be much more fun. Great 1st car, and great sport coupe on a budget, since it is 14 years old now.

The smooth 2.5 V6, the looks, the trunk (held 3 sets of skis, with 3 in the car)

rear headroom, cloth interior, slushbox auto.

Great Reliable Car!
By sprotn_candice

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I have a 99 Mercury Cougar V6 Automatic. My parents bought it for me back in '03 with about 32k miles on it. 10 years later, with 155k miles and it is still a great car. All cars break, that is inevitable, but it never left me stranded and always got me home or to the mechanic. Very reliable, sturdy and well built. My interior still looks close to new. Regular oil changes, tires, and brakes. All the norm. This is the perfect first car for a new driver. People are always surprised when I tell them how old my car is. They can't believe it. I'm sad to be trading it in for something newer in the next month.

Sporty Style, Great Price, Great Gas Mileage, Roomy for a 2 door, Very Reliable!

More cup holders would have been nice. When I bought it the collapsible front cup holder was missing so I only had the one in the back.

Great car for the price!
By wicked_gk

1999 Mercury Cougar V6 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for $400 not-running. It had the common fuel-pump failure. Cost me $200 for a new one with labor. The mechanic then told me the engine had been over-heated which I suspected. Luckily Ford cross-platforms many of their vechicles so another engine was cheap ($350). Swapped engines and ever since its been running like new :) Interior quality is high quality and the suspension is rides smooth. Will be keeping this car till it stops running :)

nice looking interior, high quality interior, great suspension