1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe - Consumer Reviews

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (22 reviews )
Sorry they're gone
By lolakitty on 07/28/10 10:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

I love my cougar and if they had one today just like it - I would buy it on the spot. Never had a problem until recently with emission. That is almost 13 years trouble-free. 1997 was last of the big cats and now mercs will be gone all together. There is no match for a cougar lover! I loved owning this car and the interior - for the money - all leather and so comfortable. Love the feel of a heavy car, the way it cruises along. Good bye sweet kitty.

quality is possible
By falco on 09/17/09 11:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

great car only problem was intake manifold recall average mpg highway is 35 burns no oil have 17500 miles still going strong. have not even changed a bulb wow! secret use mystery oil!

Cougar XR7
By joe heineken on 06/15/08 14:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

Best car I've owned out of four new cars. Nice looking, big, powerful, dependable. Great gas mileage on highway, on way to Ohio, only filled up once in Indianapolis. Not good on gas in town however. Had a few trim problems that were fixed by dealer. Now need work after 127,000 mi, but still runs great.

Not bad for the last of its kind.
By Rayro on 09/11/07 07:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

This car is a cruiser. I love to take it on vacation or any time that I get on an interstate. Too bad it took Detroit until 2005 to start building solid RWD cars again, but we a glad that we had this Cougar to weather the void.

Great Cougar
By Rayro on 09/27/05 11:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

We have owned this car for 6 years. Most maintenance has been done at home. Intake manifold problem at 50K miles-dealer replacement. Computer replacement at 66K miles by the dealer- my expense. Service was great. Its a great, reliable car based on a proven chassis. I would like to see Mercury use it as a base for a new rear wheel drive model to compete with the Charger/Chrysler 300C. Let's get with it !

I love my cougar!!!
By vim on 05/02/05 17:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

I love this car! Bought in '00 off of a lease.Never had one problem (beside manifold blowing up on christmas eve!- Recall i didn't know about!) Otherwise a beautiful car with great handling, acceleration and comfortability. I baby this car and can get a new car-but why? Eats a lot of gas but what can you ask of a v8. I wish they still made this model. I lucked out on this 30th anniversary edition it even came with tint! I do go through a lot of brakes...

The Kitty Cat From Hell!!!
By Justin on 12/09/04 03:15 AM (PST)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

This rare 30th Anniversary Mercury Cougar is a lot of car for the money. This car came loaded with leather, power seats, one-touch sunroof, climate control, autoheadlamps and many other options. However, it has had its fair share of problems. It was trouble free up until 60,000 miles when the oxygen sensor needed to be replaced, causing the service engine light to come on. At 63,000 the ABS module went, which was very expensive to repair. At 65,000 miles the service engine light came on again and this time it was the ignition coils. At 68,000, the intake manifold gasket cracked which caused coolant to leak all over once pressure was built up in the lines. What is next to go?

love my wheels
By bigdog99 on 11/12/04 14:42 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

great car, fairly fast even with the v-6 handles great no problems. I'm a big guy and the car seats me very comfortably

This Cat is Puuurrfect!!!
By Physicusman on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

I just recently purchased this 30th Anniversary Cougar in July of this year. It's been great! The V8 is smooth and reliable. I already have an 1988 Cougar LS 5.0, so I LOVE these cars. One of the best ones they've put out. The independent rear suspension just coasts over the bumps and the automatic tranny is responsive. The paint is beautiful as well. It has some Flowmaster mufflers, so she sounds (and performs) just as good as a Mustang! Tinted windows and all came with the car already! I am very happy with this purchase and hope to get many good years with it.

The little things
By jimmyh911 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

This car ran beautifully up until its warranty was up. First to go was the radiator than a freeze plug. The crack manifold almost totalled the engine. (we recieved the recall too late.)The front end has had $3500 in repairs in the last 2 years. The doors sagged off the hinges ($450 repair) Through all of that, it rides beautifully, never breaks down, handles well, has a beautiful cockpit and speeds like bat out of he11. The cougar cleans up beautifully but still leaves others in its dust.