Used 1997 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercury Cougar

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (23 reviews )

Love My Cougar
By Shawn

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my 97 Cougar used. The body is totally straight and other than some holes in the driver's seat. The interior is in amazing shape. No holes or tears in passenger seat or on back seats. The dash doesn't have a crack at all, still looks brand new. However, the interior roof and sunvisors being velour SUCK! I don't care for the tachometer (I don't know why automatics need one) I'd rather have the oil pressure gauge and battery gauge. I hate the dummy lights. My girl has 221,702 miles and shows no signs of giving up. I'm a very PROUD Mercury Cougar owner.

Sorry they're gone
By lolakitty

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I love my cougar and if they had one today just like it - I would buy it on the spot. Never had a problem until recently with emission. That is almost 13 years trouble-free. 1997 was last of the big cats and now mercs will be gone all together. There is no match for a cougar lover! I loved owning this car and the interior - for the money - all leather and so comfortable. Love the feel of a heavy car, the way it cruises along. Good bye sweet kitty.

Moonroof and the heavy feel, lux interior

They are gone baby gone

quality is possible
By falco

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

great car only problem was intake manifold recall average mpg highway is 35 burns no oil have 17500 miles still going strong. have not even changed a bulb wow! secret use mystery oil!

comfort and power cruises great

none needed just bring back

Cougar XR7
By joe heineken

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Best car I've owned out of four new cars. Nice looking, big, powerful, dependable. Great gas mileage on highway, on way to Ohio, only filled up once in Indianapolis. Not good on gas in town however. Had a few trim problems that were fixed by dealer. Now need work after 127,000 mi, but still runs great.

Body style, V8 engine, 16 inch wheels, options.

Need to bring it back with the 97 body style. Could improve on gas mileage in town.

Not bad for the last of its kind.
By Rayro

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

This car is a cruiser. I love to take it on vacation or any time that I get on an interstate. Too bad it took Detroit until 2005 to start building solid RWD cars again, but we a glad that we had this Cougar to weather the void.

We like the climate control.

Another 50 horses under the hood would have made a big difference.