1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

1997 Cougar Consumer Reviews

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (22 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Sorry they're gone
By lolakitty

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I love my cougar and if they had one today just like it - I would buy it on the spot. Never had a problem until recently with emission. That is almost 13 years trouble-free. 1997 was last of the big cats and now mercs will be gone all together. There is no match for a cougar lover! I loved owning this car and the interior - for the money - all leather and so comfortable. Love the feel of a heavy car, the way it cruises along. Good bye sweet kitty.

Favorite Features

Moonroof and the heavy feel, lux interior

Suggested Improvements

They are gone baby gone

quality is possible
By falco

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

great car only problem was intake manifold recall average mpg highway is 35 burns no oil have 17500 miles still going strong. have not even changed a bulb wow! secret use mystery oil!

Favorite Features

comfort and power cruises great

Suggested Improvements

none needed just bring back

Cougar XR7
By joe heineken

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Best car I've owned out of four new cars. Nice looking, big, powerful, dependable. Great gas mileage on highway, on way to Ohio, only filled up once in Indianapolis. Not good on gas in town however. Had a few trim problems that were fixed by dealer. Now need work after 127,000 mi, but still runs great.

Favorite Features

Body style, V8 engine, 16 inch wheels, options.

Suggested Improvements

Need to bring it back with the 97 body style. Could improve on gas mileage in town.

Not bad for the last of its kind.
By Rayro

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

This car is a cruiser. I love to take it on vacation or any time that I get on an interstate. Too bad it took Detroit until 2005 to start building solid RWD cars again, but we a glad that we had this Cougar to weather the void.

Favorite Features

We like the climate control.

Suggested Improvements

Another 50 horses under the hood would have made a big difference.

Great Cougar
By Rayro

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

We have owned this car for 6 years. Most maintenance has been done at home. Intake manifold problem at 50K miles-dealer replacement. Computer replacement at 66K miles by the dealer- my expense. Service was great. Its a great, reliable car based on a proven chassis. I would like to see Mercury use it as a base for a new rear wheel drive model to compete with the Charger/Chrysler 300C. Let's get with it !

Favorite Features

Rear wheel drive, independant rear suspension,leather seats, electric adjustable seats, Over-drive, V-8 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Variable displacement V-8, 6 liter

I love my cougar!!!
By vim

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I love this car! Bought in '00 off of a lease.Never had one problem (beside manifold blowing up on christmas eve!- Recall i didn't know about!) Otherwise a beautiful car with great handling, acceleration and comfortability. I baby this car and can get a new car-but why? Eats a lot of gas but what can you ask of a v8. I wish they still made this model. I lucked out on this 30th anniversary edition it even came with tint! I do go through a lot of brakes...

Favorite Features

Fast,cute,comfortable inside for a taller person,my v8 hums!

Suggested Improvements

Please bring it back-i would but one in a second!!

The Kitty Cat From Hell!!!
By Justin

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

This rare 30th Anniversary Mercury Cougar is a lot of car for the money. This car came loaded with leather, power seats, one-touch sunroof, climate control, autoheadlamps and many other options. However, it has had its fair share of problems. It was trouble free up until 60,000 miles when the oxygen sensor needed to be replaced, causing the service engine light to come on. At 63,000 the ABS module went, which was very expensive to repair. At 65,000 miles the service engine light came on again and this time it was the ignition coils. At 68,000, the intake manifold gasket cracked which caused coolant to leak all over once pressure was built up in the lines. What is next to go?

Favorite Features

My favorite features of this car are the 12-way power leather seats, with wraparound side bolsters. I also enjoy the ergonomics of this car, which is set up perfect for the driver. My favorite feature of this car is the performance of the V8 engine. Nothing beats an American V8!!!

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to bring back the big cat, improving the reliability and traction in the snow. Work on the interior craftsmanship. The seats are perfect but other materials like the console are made cheaply and are prone to rattles. Also bring back the rear pillar lights like the 1995 and older models

love my wheels
By bigdog99

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

great car, fairly fast even with the v-6 handles great no problems. I'm a big guy and the car seats me very comfortably

Favorite Features

factory tinted windows, shiny alloy wheels,has held it's value,rear wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

none

This Cat is Puuurrfect!!!
By Physicusman

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I just recently purchased this 30th Anniversary Cougar in July of this year. It's been great! The V8 is smooth and reliable. I already have an 1988 Cougar LS 5.0, so I LOVE these cars. One of the best ones they've put out. The independent rear suspension just coasts over the bumps and the automatic tranny is responsive. The paint is beautiful as well. It has some Flowmaster mufflers, so she sounds (and performs) just as good as a Mustang! Tinted windows and all came with the car already! I am very happy with this purchase and hope to get many good years with it.

Favorite Features

The V8 engine. Styling, power lumbar/bolster seats, leather, cockpit

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back so I can buy another one to add to my collection!

The little things
By jimmyh911

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

This car ran beautifully up until its warranty was up. First to go was the radiator than a freeze plug. The crack manifold almost totalled the engine. (we recieved the recall too late.)The front end has had $3500 in repairs in the last 2 years. The doors sagged off the hinges ($450 repair) Through all of that, it rides beautifully, never breaks down, handles well, has a beautiful cockpit and speeds like bat out of he11. The cougar cleans up beautifully but still leaves others in its dust.

Favorite Features

nothing beats an American V8, seats are comfortable, always reliable, dual exhaust, back seats are comfortable, ergonomically perfect, the need for new tires after every summer :)

Suggested Improvements

Exhaust system (show those pipes!) improved quality, wider tires, better steering system, lighter doors, better AC, bigger wheels, and shorter overhangs