1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe - Consumer Reviews

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (24 reviews )
Sleeper hit!
By silveeto on 07/12/14 08:49 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

I fell into owning this car accidentally. My aunt was moving and had no room for it anymore, so I traded her a set of couches and a couple hundred bucks for it. I figured I'd just flip it and make a few extra bucks. NOPE. What I thought was an old man's car actually turned out to be a fun sporty powerhouse of a car that I just can't part with now.

96 XR7 is the Best car I ever owned
By mike on 07/22/10 01:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1996 XR7 4.6V8 in Oct. 95 and it has 224,000 miles on the original engine and still runs like new. I average 19 mpg in town and 23.5 on the freeway. The only real problem I have had is the Air-con gave out at 200,000 miles and it will cost too much to replace ($900).

I Love the Cougar Xr7
By Jesse on 04/30/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

My dad handed down this car to me. I always loved how it looked. When i actually got around to driving it, i was blown away. I love the V8, its great for just having fun. I also love the ride itself. It's surprisingly quiet for having a V8, and it has lots of leg room. I hope i can keep this car forever

The Life of a COUGAR
By Cougar Life on 03/21/10 10:01 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

This car was the second Cougar I have bought in 3 months as a cheap replacement car I was hoping to own for more than a year. I had a 94 Coug which decided to one day have major engine problems with no warning.It had 120K miles on it. So I bought the 96 with 87k on it which seemed like a great buy for my price range.Within a week of owning I had to replace a couple of things which I think was due to not being well kept by the owners before me. After that, I noticed a major difference in how the car drove.It can really get moving with its powerful V8. I drove the car from Wisconsin down to Florida with no issues.As long as you get one that is well taken care of you shouldn't have any problem.

TLC and my cougar went a long way
By Brittaney8807 on 01/11/10 11:55 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my car my senior year of high school because I needed a car that I could drive and I could fit in, and it was the only one on the lot in my price range (two grand). I brought it home, and never had any problems with it until it hit the 170000 mile mark, than it completely fell apart on me, so I had the engine rebuilt because I loved the car, its durable, and not overbearingly powerful, and a nice car to take to college with. Since than I have never had a problem with it, just keeping up maintenance and driving on.

Nice Ride for an older vehicle
By Reverend on 02/22/09 10:14 AM (PST)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

I got the vehicle in 2005 with approximately 18,000 miles on the odometer. It belonged to an elderly lady who was in a nursing home and she had it garaged for almost 4 years (the inspection sticker was going on 5 years old). It needed a battery and the tires replaced, which I did immediately. Living in New England I only use the car during inclement weather conditions and during the winter with snow tires it gets me everywhere. As a third vehicle, it seldom gets usage, but I do ensure it is used at least 50 miles weekly. It drives like a tank, but due to its age (1996 )most vehicles that size were tanks. It has been very dependable and has not required any work. It isn't fuel efficient.

Seasoned Cat
By car lover on 06/22/08 14:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought a 96 V8 XR7 in sept. of '03 with 94652 miles on it. It is now June of '08 and it has 209231 miles on it with the original engine and no rebuilds! It always starts like a champ and still has the abilty to go buck! The transmission however is the only true drawback with it's sluggishness to respond. There is a temporary lag when kicking down to passing gear and an uncharacteristicly poor throttle response. Once you learn to work around those details or modify to change them, the car is a ball to drive. Previous owner modified the PCM to generate more ponies but the change was made by the dealership and not by some shade tree mechanic!

Outstanding Car!
By alex on 09/14/07 09:20 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from an owner and its been nothing but awesome! Will out perform all except a Cobra Mustang. I love the looks of this car and aparently so do others as they keep staring and pointing as I go by. The all leather interior is excellent & well maintained. If I can find another one I would buy it in a flash!

1996 xr7
By lakeland fl on 12/15/06 22:35 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

This is my 3rd XR7 i had a 1979 and a 1986 and now i have a 1996 and love it .There great cars and for the money what more can you ask for . There nice driving cars and ride great and look great and there very very safe cars .The XR7 looks like it should cost you a lot of money to buy one thats how good they look on the road .My XR7 looks and drives better then my Town Car .The XR7 is a great car to own !!

bermuda
By bermuda on 02/28/06 20:13 PM (PST)

1996 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

bought this car brand new and loved it for all ten years that i owned it. just traded it on as close of a vehicle on the market since they dont make the cougar any longer. purchased a 2006 monte carlo. hope it is as trouble free and as great a car as the couger. it really was trouble free ownership and was driven cross country many times. it had 152,000 miles and looked showroom new.