Used 1996 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

1996 Mercury Cougar

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )

Buying a used 96'w 3.8ltr
By Tim S....Pennsylvania

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Pick a one under 100k....i traveled 220miles to pick up my used cougar in sept... i looked, called at at least 30....setlled on the 3.8ltr in Conn... no issues...drives and runs great....rear bushing will nesd done, past that.. love my second cougar..... may get one w 50k miles next.... shop around dont by a beat one and it will be worth your time and effort.. i f you love the bodystyle of the 95-97'..... oh yeah cup holders suck....

Sleeper hit!
By silveeto

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I fell into owning this car accidentally.
My aunt was moving and had no room for it anymore, so I traded her a set of couches and a couple hundred bucks for it.
I figured I'd just flip it and make a few extra bucks.
NOPE.
What I thought was an old man's car actually turned out to be a fun sporty powerhouse of a car that I just can't part with now.

The 4.6L v8 is an awesome engine. If you like power, but want a refined feeling at the same time, this car is for you. The green exterior is a little disappointing, despite being mint and rust free, but the grey leather interior is nice and still looks like show room condition too. Plenty of room for front and rear passengers and power isn't compromised because of a full load. Highway driving is a dream, as is zzipping around town.

The drink holders drive me bonkers. There are none readily usable. The only two cup holders in the entire car are integrated into the center console. You must flip up the arm rest, and set them in there... rendering your armrest usless and also creating a weird barrier between you and your passenger. Very inconveinient

96 XR7 is the Best car I ever owned
By mike

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1996 XR7 4.6V8 in Oct. 95 and it has 224,000 miles on the original engine and still runs like new. I average 19 mpg in town and 23.5 on the freeway. The only real problem I have had is the Air-con gave out at 200,000 miles and it will cost too much to replace ($900).

The 4.6 V8 Engine is the best and the ride is very comfortable.

I wish it had more than 225 HP.

I Love the Cougar Xr7
By Jesse

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

My dad handed down this car to me. I always loved how it looked. When i actually got around to driving it, i was blown away. I love the V8, its great for just having fun. I also love the ride itself. It's surprisingly quiet for having a V8, and it has lots of leg room. I hope i can keep this car forever

30th anniv. red paint. V8(duh). it's quiet

needs a little higher torque.

The Life of a COUGAR
By Cougar Life

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

This car was the second Cougar I have bought in 3 months as a cheap replacement car I was hoping to own for more than a year. I had a 94 Coug which decided to one day have major engine problems with no warning.It had 120K miles on it. So I bought the 96 with 87k on it which seemed like a great buy for my price range.Within a week of owning I had to replace a couple of things which I think was due to not being well kept by the owners before me. After that, I noticed a major difference in how the car drove.It can really get moving with its powerful V8. I drove the car from Wisconsin down to Florida with no issues.As long as you get one that is well taken care of you shouldn't have any problem.

Comfort (Nice for long trips with 2 people), lots of room, V8, can use just regular 87 gas. Stock speakers sound pretty good. Trunk space is huge

These aren't really improvements more like things that you should be aware of. Loud with sunroof down, gas mileage not great but expected with V8. Heavy & overly large doors. Car is pretty big, not great for city driving especially trying to squeeze into parking. Turning radius is sub par.