Used 1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

1995 Mercury Cougar

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

Mercury Cougar
By mau5

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

The best car ever made by Ford. I owned the V8. It was the combination of a sport and luxury car that didnt felt so tiny, but didnt felt so heavy, mantaining that balance and the suspesion was incredible, never , malfunctioneed, smooth yet powerful. Simply the best.

My car
By csshutt

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love this car it handles great. the v6 is a little underpowered but that is to be expected i recently had my high school change the oil in it and thanks to them i am now looking at a 4.6L 95 cougar the v8 has just the right amount of power for the size of the car.

Favorite Features

power seats, a v8, and the ride comfort

Suggested Improvements

giving the v6 models a 4.2L instead of a 3.8L

Great car for 13 years!
By grant

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I owned a 1995 Mercury Cougar from August 1997 until August 2010. The car ran great for the entire time. Only parts I replaced were radiator, alternator, battery, brakes, air flow sensor - really just routine maintenance. Salt on Missouri roads led to some body rust in last few years. Burned/leaked a tiny bit of oil last few years. Gifted car to a friend and would guess they'll be able to drive it for another few years. Great car - would love to buy another one. Great motor, good power and smooth, decent mileage (especially for V8), sharp looking car. Relatively cheap to maintain - even with high miles. Sorry to let this go!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling (while dated in 2010) is/was sharp. Motor had good power. Interior design (again dated by 2010) is/was sharp.

Suggested Improvements

Get a standard antennae - not electric. My car came without ABS - optional in 1995 - would have been nice.

Good value
By V8 Man

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought a V8 1995 Cougar slightly used in 1996. Overall, it has been a good car, though it has been pampered. I mostly keep it in the garage as a third car, and have averaged only 4500 miles per year. For a 2-door sedan, it is quite comfortable, though I would not want to be in the back seat during a long trip. Interior materials are good quality, exterior design is sexy, and trunk is reasonably spacious. The only problem I have found is a sub- standard transmission. I have had to change the fluid twice (in less than 60K miles) due to rough shifting between gears. I have never encountered this problem with any other car. Other than this annoyance, the car has been worth owning.

Favorite Features

Sleek styling and V8 power. While the engine is certainly not zippy (especially for a heavy car like this), it does the job and has an appropriate V8 growl during acceleration. Interior is very comfortable and well-lit.

Suggested Improvements

Take good care of the transmission. This has been my only complaint about this car.

Love my '95 V8 Cougar!
By Teresa Arthur

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I own a white, 1995 Cougar XR-7 - V8, of course! Bought her brand new, she is now over 15 yrs. old. She's had a few problems recently - but, man, she has been a GREAT car - I Love Her! And her looks are awesome! They changed the grill in '96, and that small change took the "great looks" factor down a few notches. It's amazing how a tiny change can effect the total look of a car. She has been a damn good car - best I've ever owned!! I wish they would bring her back - but looking EXACTLY like the '95 model - NO CHANGES on the exterior!! GO FORD!! (or Mercury - haha).

Favorite Features

HOW SHE LOOKS!! The V8 engine!

Suggested Improvements

cupholders-inconvenient. ashtray should have been moved forward (in front of shift) .... Dear Ford: Please bring her back!! In EXACTLY the '95 exterior style!! I would buy her in a heart-beat!