1995 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )
Mercury Cougar
By mau5 on 04/01/14 09:41 AM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

The best car ever made by Ford. I owned the V8. It was the combination of a sport and luxury car that didnt felt so tiny, but didnt felt so heavy, mantaining that balance and the suspesion was incredible, never , malfunctioneed, smooth yet powerful. Simply the best.

My car
By csshutt on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love this car it handles great. the v6 is a little underpowered but that is to be expected i recently had my high school change the oil in it and thanks to them i am now looking at a 4.6L 95 cougar the v8 has just the right amount of power for the size of the car.

Great car for 13 years!
By grant on 08/19/10 12:17 PM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I owned a 1995 Mercury Cougar from August 1997 until August 2010. The car ran great for the entire time. Only parts I replaced were radiator, alternator, battery, brakes, air flow sensor - really just routine maintenance. Salt on Missouri roads led to some body rust in last few years. Burned/leaked a tiny bit of oil last few years. Gifted car to a friend and would guess they'll be able to drive it for another few years. Great car - would love to buy another one. Great motor, good power and smooth, decent mileage (especially for V8), sharp looking car. Relatively cheap to maintain - even with high miles. Sorry to let this go!

Good value
By V8 Man on 07/07/10 09:49 AM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought a V8 1995 Cougar slightly used in 1996. Overall, it has been a good car, though it has been pampered. I mostly keep it in the garage as a third car, and have averaged only 4500 miles per year. For a 2-door sedan, it is quite comfortable, though I would not want to be in the back seat during a long trip. Interior materials are good quality, exterior design is sexy, and trunk is reasonably spacious. The only problem I have found is a sub- standard transmission. I have had to change the fluid twice (in less than 60K miles) due to rough shifting between gears. I have never encountered this problem with any other car. Other than this annoyance, the car has been worth owning.

Love my '95 V8 Cougar!
By Teresa Arthur on 06/18/10 04:59 AM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I own a white, 1995 Cougar XR-7 - V8, of course! Bought her brand new, she is now over 15 yrs. old. She's had a few problems recently - but, man, she has been a GREAT car - I Love Her! And her looks are awesome! They changed the grill in '96, and that small change took the "great looks" factor down a few notches. It's amazing how a tiny change can effect the total look of a car. She has been a damn good car - best I've ever owned!! I wish they would bring her back - but looking EXACTLY like the '95 model - NO CHANGES on the exterior!! GO FORD!! (or Mercury - haha).

!!!!
By tomahawk666 on 05/12/10 21:49 PM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

as long as i have owned this car i have loved it i installed a sweet cd player with 4 6x9 hyphonix comps witch bump hard the 4.6 v8 has a nice clean run to it and the horse power is sweet ex after i put a cool air intake on it with some bosh platinum + spark plugs this thing is starting to be a beast with the lil work i have done to it soon i will be putting flomasters on witch will also up the hp even more than the 225 stock i will post pics of the befor and after body work

Old but not out
By geo on 12/28/09 12:52 PM (PST)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car since 2004 after we bought it from a lady who had moved from Florida to Illinois. The car requires low maintenance, but does have significant problems which are consistent with being a 15 year old car. The transmission has been replaced once and still has a few issues, the driver's side automatic window's electronics have been replaced and need to be replaced again due to intermittent window power. Outer coat of paint is chipping, the tie rods are going, the suspension sounds terrible, the windshield washer lines are corroded, and the back seat is too small. But again, this is a 15 year old car which has seen a lot of work and abuse. Still works!

It's my car.
By JPog279 on 02/18/09 17:05 PM (PST)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I was eight when I sat in the Cougar for the first time. Eight years later it's my first car and another four years later I'm still driving it and nothing major has broken or been replaced. Probably has 200,000+ miles on it now (the odometer doesn't work but that was a mechanics doing!) Driver's side window recently stopped working but I was expecting the power windows to give up eventually and 14 years is a good run of almost daily use! It still has great speed and acceleration. Build quality is excellent, still looks great!

Good car
By sunnydaysahead on 02/17/09 10:56 AM (PST)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Bought this car in late 2008 and in the few months I have owned it everything has worked well. Always has started on the first try in the Wisconsin winter (we had 20 below actual temps for a couple of days and no problems and it is parked outside). Drives very nice. Gas mileage is not the best of course for this car as I get around 20mpg with mostly freeway miles. If you are looking for a sound cheaper, older car this one may work for you.

Ups and downs.
By ToddL on 08/20/08 12:37 PM (PDT)

1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Overall it is an OK car. I was shocked to read that other reviewers feel it accelerates hard, it seems a bit lazy off the line (too high gearing), but it is adequate once you hit 20. Certainly nothing to brag about! Could use an extra 50 horsepower. Pretty flat torque curve. Cornering is quite good with aftermarket 225/60/15 tires - a great improvement in handling, and looks! Problems: Air conditioning compressor seized. Alternator needed to be rebuilt. Torque converter flutters into and out of lock-up - which I understand is a chronic problem. Mass air flow sensor needed to be replaced. Leather seats tear.