1994 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )
Big, thirsty, but reliable cat
By Jason on 02/05/05 05:47 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 37,000 miles on it (it simply wasn't driven much). Lots of power, but at the expense of fuel efficiency (18 mpg on a good week, with 89 fuel @ $2.40/gal = pricey). I hope Ford found out how to make interior door panels that don't peel off, because every Ford/Merc I've been in has had this problem. Also, the A/C knob tends to slip off even when gently pulled. But on the bright side, the car is VERY reliable, powerful, and fun to drive.

The mercury is steady
By Best Carz on 11/13/04 22:02 PM (PST)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Bought this car brand new and it's loaded! Now has 145,500 miles on it! Still drives GREAT! Handles real well. Good gas mileage; 22-28. recently had to replace water pump, freeze plug and head gaskets. Next needs to be repainted on roof--use to live on the beach. By the way there is NO rust on this car! Interior still looks really good, almost new looking. Read the full review

my car
By derrick on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

shakes while ideling and taking off like a lose exhust or bad alignment maybe both

my car
By Derrick on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

XR-7 With V8 ROARS!
By v8 Lover on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I have had my Cougar since Sept 97. It has the WONDERFUL 4.6 V8 It takes off with the slightest touch of the gas pedal. The car handles very well and corners like a much smaller car. The seats are very comfortable and give excellent lower back and side support. Braking is very good and the anti-lock and traction control system's have worked well in the winter. I now have 123,560 miles on the car and no major repairs. The only problem is the shudder in the transmission. I have not changed the Tourque Converter and at 123,500 miles everything is ok, So all in all The Cougar is the best car I have ever owned!

EXCELLENT Cougar
By Susan Davey on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Have had this car for over 100,000 miles and have done no major repairs, except transmission at 90,000 miles, which was due to a defective torque converter (factory recall I missed). Absolutely not a single problem, at all. Rides nice, handles great, very reliable.

These are great cars if treated right.
By brady chingles on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I have owned my 1994 Special Edition Cougar for about 6 months and I absolutely love it. But the only thing I don't like is the performance and availability of performance parts.

most x cell lent car
By toolhog47 on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

a fast comfortable car-that drives an handles with the best of them mine has 4.6 v8 all options---criuses at 100mph like it was 55mph---excellent brakes--a/c--radio stereo---jus a good car to bad-- ford as usual promoted their trash cars an let this one die as they did the t-bird also

Cougar Coupe
By RappinDuke on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I had owned an older cougar (89) and got alot out of the car, so when it came time to buy i went with what work's! 94 Cougar 3.1 litter....I travel pretty far for work and i find my Cougar to be quite comfy!