Used 1994 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

1994 Mercury Cougar

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )

Nothing but problems
By Soul_Prince

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I got this car 6 years ago with 20k miles on it. I keep up with all the maintenance. It has done nothing but fall apart. Head gaskets, engine block crack, the computer went and fried all my sensors twice, motor mounts, bad breaks wear out frequently, front end problems the tire fell while driving, catalytic converter problems, suspension problems

Favorite Features

very very comfortable and good looking interior! I replaced all the door speakers and put in a new radio so i always was happy when i wasn't thinking of the thousands i had in repairs!

Suggested Improvements

it would be easier to list what not to improve. the interior was nice except where the cup holders are placed!!

94 cougar 4.6 v8
By cougar

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

great car all around!! handles great and have had little problems with it since i got it in 94.fuel milage is modrate,it really fun to drive every time.. it has a really fast motor and can get up to 70 in 4.9 sec tops!!

Favorite Features

its power

Suggested Improvements

its door locks have can have many problems.

I miss my Cougar
By John Pye

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cougar new, and it always started well. I had it for 14 years. On occasional weekends, I'd drive from Albany, NY to Hartford, Connecticut and back, which is a distance of approximately 250 miles round-trip on three-quarters of a tank, and the drive was very smooth and extremely comfortable. I always enjoyed the rack and pinion steering, which handled extremely well - like a smaller sports car. The transmission performed well, shifting well up hills at 55 mph. Eventually, however, the transmission needed work. (I was never informed of the torque converter recall.) Nevertheless, I miss my Cougar very much. I recently traded it in for a Nissan Frontier pickup, which I needed.

Favorite Features

The exterior style - very sleek. The interior, especially the power seats. The overall feeling of sitting in the front seat, which was very comfortable and roomy. The stereo that had four speakers, and sounded magnificent, and blocked out all external noises, like a Lear jet.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder was in the center armrest, and it was positioned too far back, which made it unusable.

The best car I ever owned
By Leola

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I love my Cougar. I have had this car since 1995. My Cougar never let me down and it is a beautiful car that is easy to handle and drives really well on the highway. If I could keep this car forever, I would.

Favorite Features

The sunroof and the gears in the floor

Suggested Improvements

At this time none that I can think of, make replacement parts easier to purchase.

Great car!! I loved every minute of it!
By Daniel

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cougar (4.6L V8) with just over 100K on the clock. I sold it to an 18 year old kid for $1000, and it had 238K on it. I loved this car! Bulletproof motor! Transmission was rebuilt at 195K, but that is better than expected, at least as good as a foreign vehicle. Perfromed well with 205hp. Interior comfortable for long trips.

Favorite Features

V8, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

30 more hp,