1994 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
Nothing but problems
By Soul_Prince on 07/21/10 07:46 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I got this car 6 years ago with 20k miles on it. I keep up with all the maintenance. It has done nothing but fall apart. Head gaskets, engine block crack, the computer went and fried all my sensors twice, motor mounts, bad breaks wear out frequently, front end problems the tire fell while driving, catalytic converter problems, suspension problems

94 cougar 4.6 v8
By cougar on 06/27/09 23:56 PM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

great car all around!! handles great and have had little problems with it since i got it in 94.fuel milage is modrate,it really fun to drive every time.. it has a really fast motor and can get up to 70 in 4.9 sec tops!!

I miss my Cougar
By John Pye on 07/21/08 08:22 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cougar new, and it always started well. I had it for 14 years. On occasional weekends, I'd drive from Albany, NY to Hartford, Connecticut and back, which is a distance of approximately 250 miles round-trip on three-quarters of a tank, and the drive was very smooth and extremely comfortable. I always enjoyed the rack and pinion steering, which handled extremely well - like a smaller sports car. The transmission performed well, shifting well up hills at 55 mph. Eventually, however, the transmission needed work. (I was never informed of the torque converter recall.) Nevertheless, I miss my Cougar very much. I recently traded it in for a Nissan Frontier pickup, which I needed.

The best car I ever owned
By Leola on 05/30/08 05:40 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I love my Cougar. I have had this car since 1995. My Cougar never let me down and it is a beautiful car that is easy to handle and drives really well on the highway. If I could keep this car forever, I would.

Great car!! I loved every minute of it!
By Daniel on 03/19/08 11:12 AM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cougar (4.6L V8) with just over 100K on the clock. I sold it to an 18 year old kid for $1000, and it had 238K on it. I loved this car! Bulletproof motor! Transmission was rebuilt at 195K, but that is better than expected, at least as good as a foreign vehicle. Perfromed well with 205hp. Interior comfortable for long trips.

My thoughts
By very good car on 06/26/07 16:01 PM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Owned a lot of vehicles and this is by far one of the best I've owned. The 3.8l is decent. The car shudders when it idles but doesnÂ’t seem to bother anything.

Love the car, even after owning it13 yrs
By Great Car! on 03/01/07 20:17 PM (PST)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

We purchased our 1994 Mercury Cougar brand new 13 years ago. I am happy to say that after owning the car for 13 years, I still love the car very much. It has proven to be very reliable car and still runs and rides like new, even though it has over 110,000 miles on it. I think this version of the Cougar is one of the nicest cars ever built by the Ford Motor Company. Its a shame Ford discontinued making the Cougar. The Cougar had style and still was roomy enough to use as a practical family car. How many people would say they would buy the same car again, if they had the choice after owning it for 13 years. I definitely would buy this car again if I had to do it all over again!

cougar
By mike james on 02/15/07 08:29 AM (PST)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

what i like best about the early 90's ford/merc cars are that the engines are all interchangeable i took a 3.8 out of a 90 t-bird and put it in a mustang,and later i took it out and put it in a cougar. the cougar is a pretty reliable car

Buy 93
By twa1950 on 10/28/05 22:01 PM (PDT)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Head gasket went at 100,000 miles, Transmission is a mess, Brakes are terrible. Had a 87 Cougar that I loved. In 94 they changed the engine some and the transmission. While the 94 looks about the same as a 93 the 93 had the old mechanics it. Buy it instead. The Cougar is the same car as the TBird

Great car
By RWDcougar:) on 02/06/05 20:07 PM (PST)

1994 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

This car is very fun to drive and is fairly reliable.The v6 is a bit costly due to the headgasket problem. other than that it is amazing. it has a beautiful interior. and the exterior is very nice as well.