1993 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

XR7 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
Fun Cougar
By CHOWDER on 05/02/10 17:09 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I bought my car two months ago and have had now problems until now. For some reason the car is not getting oil pressure and it is not the oil pump and I was told that it could cost over $1000 just to have it looked at. This is the only problem i have had with my car other than the odometer not working all the time. Also some times the gauges and other electrical systems will fail, like the back up lights. other than these problems the car is great. This is an awesome car and would be great with out these problems! Just make sure that you have it checked out be a good reliable mechanic before you buy it.

Terrible Build
By NatG83 on 11/04/09 15:27 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Had 3.8L V6 Auto. The car was used when I got it. Cheap interior components, but nice leather seats. Alot of squeaks and rattles. Lots of body roll and little stability in turns. The engine would have been at home in a compact, but it felt like a dog was pulling this car. Mileage was okay for the size of the machine. Poor radio quality. There were no electrical issues. Terrible in snow. I remember driving this 1993 Cougar and thinking of my Dad's 1994 Sable. The Sable had the same motor and trans, but felt much quicker. The Sable had a nicer dashboard, roof liner, A,B, and C pillar covering. The Sable road much more smoothly. The FWD in the Sable made it a much better candidate in the snow.

Great Little Cougar
By P. Frane on 08/21/09 23:21 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car used at 4 years old. Drives like a dream in the summer, bad in winter for slipping around! Only have had 2 major repairs and 1 minor repair since I've owned the car in 12 years; as others have stated, it blew the head gaskets (after the recall expired), a window motor on the driver side door failed, and the air conditioner failed. Paint has deteriorated after 16 years but the Cougar has been a great little classy ride. I'm just getting ready to trade now.

1993 cougar XR7
By john h on 04/04/09 23:13 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

i bought this car in 2002 with 92,000 miles, one owner garaged very clean. i put new shocks,struts, lower control arms bushings, strut mounts, flushed trans. 40,000 miles later the heads went out. $1100 later back on the road .the water pump was leaking at 165,000 miles . easy fix . the odometer stoped 10/20/2007 with 215,000 miles . car runs good. i drive it every day to keep miles off my 06 gto.

Excellent Driving Car
By djacks10 on 01/08/08 19:23 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

Purchased new from dealer in June 1974 and driven ever since. This vehicle is all original never wrecked and has no rust it drives just as good today as it did the day I purchased it, it only has 94,000 original miles. Very reasonable to operate and maintain all original insides and outside paint. I will never sell this vehicle again, I sold it once and after one year I bought it back from the same person that I sold it to. I have never regretted buying this vehicle back it is truley one of akind.

I'll always remember
By Silwave on 04/27/07 19:07 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

This car is one of a kind. The driving, looks, and overall car itself is a dying breed. Although this car had a lot of problems, it has a superior ride quality as compared to today's cars. Despite body roll and the like you never feel a hard turn pull on you. The car floats effortlessly through it. I had the misfortune not to get the eight cylinder, but it was OK for power after I got an intake and chip for it. It took many a hard hit from other stupid drivers and always pulled through and damaged the other car much more. I will always remember it.

Nice little car
By mark on 11/09/05 21:07 PM (PST)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

please try and have someone check the bushings in the linkage. A 3 dollar bushing WILL cost you 2 G's to rebuild transmission.

I have one to
By Brandon Kleczka on 10/18/05 21:38 PM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

It's a good car for someone's first car. Love the car with all your might. I got my car from my dad and he always had problems with it. He sold it to me and I love it and nothing is wrong with it except the trans. which my dad broke took it to a cheap guy and put in another junk one. or else the car is great. I LOVE IT

got a great deal
By dale veratti on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

i belive i got a great deal on my car. the people i got it from took care of it like it was one of there kids

Don't purchase this vehicle
By NickyTheStork on 02/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 2dr Coupe

I owned this car for some time. I keep it mechanical. Two things. The comfort of this car is the worst I have ever felt. You feel every hole. I had to bring this car to the mechanic every other week to check the front end. Second, this is the worst car in the snow and ice. You slide all over and is very dangerous. Since 1993, the only problem I had is the fuel pump. Its reliabile, but don't buy this car.