Used 1991 Mercury Cougar Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Mercury Cougar - Consumer Reviews

1991 Mercury Cougar Coupe

View reviews for a specific Cougar model:

Great car!
By 1ruger4570

1991 Mercury Cougar Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Great for tall people, 6'6". Good power, handles very well. Incredibly reliable car. No problems in 200,000 miles. 302 engine is great. Would definitely buy another one if this one ever gives up.

Favorite Features

Great power in V-8 engine. Comfortable interior and very spacious inside. Rides smooth and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Need more good mid-sized rear-wheel drive cars on the market now. Nothing drives as wonderfully as a good rear-wheel drive vehicle (even in snow if you know how to drive).

Good Highway Cruiser
By 91cougar

1991 Mercury Cougar Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought this from my grandpa with 108k and now have 168k. The only things I have replaced besides normal maintenance are the fuel pump and starter.140 hp will not win you any races, but the low end torque makes normal driving quite easy. City mileage is not good, but conservative highway driving gets me 27-28 mpg. Winter driving can be dangerous but having one or two sandbags makes a world of difference! I hear that the 3.8 had some head gaskets issues; luckily I haven't experienced them although I may still have a leak because my temp gauge can be fidgety sometimes, even after changing the thermostat. Regardless, wouldn't hesitate to drive it long distances

Favorite Features

Low end power, highway mileage, decent turning radius for size. Looks really sharp after a nice waxing even 17 years later.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, maybe manual seatbelts. I also wish I had an airbag and ABS but I think those were still options for this year.

91 CAT
By jmctighe

1991 Mercury Cougar Coupe XR7 2dr Coupe

General wear on this loaded xr7, car now has over 150K but this this beefy V8 still kicks it in, cruising at 90 feels like 50. 5.0L seems a bit too powerful for the standard Ford AOD transmission as this was the only major repair, warranty would be voided if dealer didnt set 2nd gear to be run through quickly

Favorite Features

Big power, very underrated 5.0L V8, great handling for car of it's weight, tight turn radius, posi traction rear end

Suggested Improvements

Last series of the V8 cats, Mercury should be ashamed they went away with it. Ford AOD transmission seems weak for the power. Biggest gripe with this model and the t-birds of the same year is NO DRINK HOLDER(s). Fog lights are useless. NOTE: Lousy in snow, even with snow tires.