Used 1993 Mercury Capri Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Mercury Capri - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Capri model:

Fun, Fun, FUN!!!
By neoncraig

1993 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

I have had the pleasure of having a rare in My life. That would be the "Special" '93 Capri that I have dubbed a Sheep in Wolfs clothing. '93 was the year Mercury decided a good idea would be dress a base like Turbo and see if anybody noticed, As a pure Fun ride this car is ahead of it's time. If it were to be released today it think it would be neck and neck with it's rear wheel drive cousin The Mazda MX-5. Performance is great!!! The results of neglect were easily corrected with standard and available parts. The A/c still works and was part of the XR@ upgrade as was the working, at 20mph cruise control. Mileage has been between 18 and 24 MPH depending on type. Do I recomend this??? Oh YEAH!

Handeling has a bit of frontwheel tourque steer, but can be knocked down with a simple tower brace that's available for under $100 and is easy to self install. I have NEVER had a cruise that would handle a School Zone, mine does. The ride is fair and Firm in combination of the standard 100 hp 1.6L injected motor. Seats are a real pleasure, height, rake, and lumbar are adjustable on the drivers side. Manual transmisson option is a nice "Sporty Car" feel to the whole experience of driving. With an OEM exhaust the Capri has a nice rasp to it, when pushed. The wheel is fat and in leather. With the top up You have concealed storeage, or expandable with the back seat back down, golf anyone??? FUN!

There are electrical glitches that I have experienced that can be cured with a better grounding application. The top latch handles are POT METAL, who thought that was a good ides??? But there are "Mail Me Your dead one I'll ship you a Stainless matched replacement" available for under 60 bucks with shipping. Other than these bugs, I haven't had this much Fun in a while. The Perfect "Mid Life" answer, mine cost Me under a Grand. The 11 gallon tank isn't such a sad story to fill even though it happens a bit more often. Sorry I am having too much fun to knock this Toy. 1993 had the 4 speed automatic OD not listed so I thought I'd hit that here......PEACE

Fun Hey, it's a convertible
By barry

1993 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

The best is putting the top down and going around the twisty back roads. We live in central PA and it's fun driving the back windy roads. Sometimes I would like more power but I have the normally aspirated engine. We paid $3,000 for it. It's not perfect but when the top is down with my wife and I driving a nice road - Heaven

Convertible top, nimble on the road, can get around easy with it small size, Capri group on Yahoo.com that helps with questions.

Make parts more available but there is a Capri group on Yahoo groups that can help

Awesome Car
By Cole

1993 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

This car is amazing. It is not only my first car but the first time I ever drove a stick. This car is a bit delicate but that comes with it being so light weight. If you treat it well it will also treat you well. It doesn't accelerate very quickly but unless you're planning on racing that really shouldn't be an issue. All in all it's an amazing car.

The convertible top (duh). Also the inside is roomy as long as you aren't in the back seat.

CUP HOLDERS PLEASE. Also, a center console would be nice. The glove box is small and so there aren't many places to put things. Power locks.

Love My Capri
By snake

1993 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

I bought this little convertible used in '97 with about 45K mi.. The dealer was less than reputable not advising the car had been in a wreck . I am the 2nd owner; the 1st 3 yrs the vehicle was completely trouble free. Body construction a bit flimsy, dents when leaned on too hard, but handling, pick up, comfort and maintenance are all worth overlooking this flaw. Then there's the gas mileage-30+ mpg in city traffic and who knows what on the highway-its always great! Oil, Filter, Tires and the usual maintenance and this is a great little car. I've been more than pleasantly surprised!

Even though it's a manual convertible- it's a snap for one (female) to handle