1992 Mercury Capri Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mercury Capri - Consumer Reviews

1992 Capri Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Capri model:

Sort Reviews by

worth the money
By crankshaft23

1992 Mercury Capri Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought the 92 base model in may of 2010 for $800 with only 78k miles. good shape inside and out and the engine clean as a engine can be. the top was bad but found one on ebay really cheap so it looks good. I've put over 23k miles on the car in less then a year and only thing I had to do was replace the fuel pump but it was my fault it went out. and a wheel bearing. for only 100hp the tranny is geared out to have decent pick up for it. really smooth running 70mph on I95 with the top down you can bearly tell your in a convertible.

Favorite Features

even at 20 years old the paint is in decent shape. interior is in even better shape. decent pickup for so little power really smooth ride at low and high speeds up to 90mph never pushed it pass that due to the short gears in the tranny but still has around 30mph more to go

Suggested Improvements

headlight computer sometimes acts up where the headlights don't want to work right, sometimes you have to double clutch to get it in reverse. during the summer the engine runs really warm and during the winter it runs to cold

I love this car
By Jacquelyn

1992 Mercury Capri Convertible XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought the Capri on a whim in AZ. I decided to sell it before I left the state. I have been East 6 months and refused to buy a car. My friends and I could not figure it out. I finally did. This am I was looking at cars and put in Capri. I found the exact duplicate. I am walking out the door with cash in hand. Does that say it all?

Favorite Features

Get up and go showy convertible

Still A Fun Ride
By John

1992 Mercury Capri Convertible XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

3 years ago I bought a blue 1992 XR2, just like the picture. It was really about the mileage since our other cars were 2 Ford Expeditions which only got 9 mpg on a good day. Well what a surprise that little car turned out to be. Although it had 78,000 miles on the odometer, it still started and ran like a top. The 5 speed tranny is still tight and the acceleration after driving that land barge was nothing short of breathtaking. I swapped out the old 15" wheels for some new "A.R" 16" wheels and put on  some 225X 60 series tires and what a difference. The thing just hugs the road in a bear grip and will not let go even though I really push it.I found a hard top and its all set.

Favorite Features

Tight tranny and suspension

Great Car!
By RobertD123

1992 Mercury Capri Convertible XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

We have owned this car for almost 11 years. The quality has been superb. No major repairs and minor maintenance. The only problem has been finding the small cosmetic parts. Engine parts have been no problem through the dealer. Definitely a keeper. Still looks and runs like new.

Favorite Features

Maintence, performance, reliability and inexpensive to own.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the door handles would not take 2 weeks to come in, although not really a major issue.

1992 Mercury Capri analysis
By Tony Rezza

1992 Mercury Capri Convertible 2dr Convertible

My wife and I purchased the vehicle new in 1992. She often drove it to work and once we drove the vehicle as far as N. Carolina for a brief vacation. We never had a major problem with the vehicle. We had minor problem with the convertible top which in the down position, caused a small tear on each side of the top where the metal rubbed against the convertible top. Still runs and looks great.

Favorite Features

Ease of puting down the top and driving comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle should have had better quality control regarding the convertible top and more horsepower is suggested if the vehicle is ever produced again.

my little roadster
By al simon

1992 Mercury Capri Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought my capri in Feb. of 99, this car was in such poor shape though it had only 64,000mi I took that car and fixed it up nice. The main complaint that I have for these cars is that the parts are hard to find and are expensive. Though in the four years that I have owned this vihicle it has open many doors into the auto tech industry, I use the car as a example of the work that I do and now the car has 115,500 miles on it and runs like new, but still needs some repairs such as tie rod ends and lower control arm bushings.

Favorite Features

Very good handling, good in the snow, (living in RI that is important) all around nice car if you have the time money and patience. Very fun to drive. Very costly to repair.

Suggested Improvements

I dont think that you will eaver see this little roadster in production again and if so there are many things that should be redesigned, such as the top, the int, door pulls roof latches, windshield header meets the top and stupid things that should have been engineered better.

Big Headache
By palmeg5

1992 Mercury Capri Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought it in 5/01 with 80k on it, I have spent $700 on repairs every 4 months since. The car has been a headache since day1. Here is a list of parts I have replaced on the car: Entire exhaust up to cat., 2 brake rotors, alternator and belts, water pump, radiator, driver side window regulator, thermostat and the sensor. Just yesterday the automatic transmission stopped functioning. I am going to junk the car and look for a more reliable car, or at least a car that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to fix. Mostly every part it seems like has to be special ordered and or custom installed.

Favorite Features

When the car was not being repaired it was a fun to drive, especially in summer time with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality... Better quality... Better quality... I found this quote online "I would not wish the mercury Capri on my worst enemy, it has been a headache and a hole in my pocket book." Sooo true... yet soo sad.

Fun cheap car.
By Red92capri

1992 Mercury Capri Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought the Capri in 10-99 with 104k miles on it. It now has over 156K miles. I have had so much fun with putting the top down and just driving. It has started to nickel and dime me. It needed a new clutch at 153k and a new catalytic converter. The rear wheel bearings went out at 149k and it wasn't done right so it needs to be replaced again. I enjoy the top down and for only $1500.00 it is a great car. The engine and transmission are from the Mazda 323 so it has been reliable.

Favorite Features

The interior and layout of the car. It seems the car is going faster than it really is when driving. Only a few people know what these cars are so people ask what is it?

Suggested Improvements

Only suggestions is that Mercury should make another fun car that stands out so well.

Approach with caution
By Michael of C+M

1992 Mercury Capri Convertible XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

Not all Capris are junk, but be careful. If this car were as mechanically reliable as it was good- looking, I'd probably still have it. My Capri burned out every exterior light bulb except one fog light. Both CV Boots failed within 4 months of each other. Nobody could figure out why the engine pinged under load, and I always used premium.

Favorite Features

Solid transmission, appearance, wheels on 1992-1993 XR2 version, being able to put the roof up or down at a long red- light (with practice).

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension tuning, car was hyper- sensitive to alignment and balancing. Buy your engine parts at the Mazda dealer. Tell them you own a 323GT, we're talking 25 cents on the dollar for things like plug wires, knock sensor, air filter...