Used 1992 Mercury Capri Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mercury Capri - Consumer Reviews

1992 Mercury Capri

View reviews for a specific Capri model:

worth the money
By crankshaft23

1992 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

I bought the 92 base model in may of 2010 for $800 with only 78k miles. good shape inside and out and the engine clean as a engine can be. the top was bad but found one on ebay really cheap so it looks good. I've put over 23k miles on the car in less then a year and only thing I had to do was replace the fuel pump but it was my fault it went out. and a wheel bearing. for only 100hp the tranny is geared out to have decent pick up for it. really smooth running 70mph on I95 with the top down you can bearly tell your in a convertible.

Favorite Features

even at 20 years old the paint is in decent shape. interior is in even better shape. decent pickup for so little power really smooth ride at low and high speeds up to 90mph never pushed it pass that due to the short gears in the tranny but still has around 30mph more to go

Suggested Improvements

headlight computer sometimes acts up where the headlights don't want to work right, sometimes you have to double clutch to get it in reverse. during the summer the engine runs really warm and during the winter it runs to cold

I love this car
By Jacquelyn

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought the Capri on a whim in AZ. I decided to sell it before I left the state. I have been East 6 months and refused to buy a car. My friends and I could not figure it out. I finally did. This am I was looking at cars and put in Capri. I found the exact duplicate. I am walking out the door with cash in hand. Does that say it all?

Favorite Features

Get up and go showy convertible

Still A Fun Ride
By John

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

3 years ago I bought a blue 1992 XR2, just like the picture. It was really about the mileage since our other cars were 2 Ford Expeditions which only got 9 mpg on a good day. Well what a surprise that little car turned out to be. Although it had 78,000 miles on the odometer, it still started and ran like a top. The 5 speed tranny is still tight and the acceleration after driving that land barge was nothing short of breathtaking. I swapped out the old 15" wheels for some new "A.R" 16" wheels and put on  some 225X 60 series tires and what a difference. The thing just hugs the road in a bear grip and will not let go even though I really push it.I found a hard top and its all set.

Favorite Features

Tight tranny and suspension

Great Car!
By RobertD123

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

We have owned this car for almost 11 years. The quality has been superb. No major repairs and minor maintenance. The only problem has been finding the small cosmetic parts. Engine parts have been no problem through the dealer. Definitely a keeper. Still looks and runs like new.

Favorite Features

Maintence, performance, reliability and inexpensive to own.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the door handles would not take 2 weeks to come in, although not really a major issue.

1992 Mercury Capri analysis
By Tony Rezza

1992 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

My wife and I purchased the vehicle new in 1992. She often drove it to work and once we drove the vehicle as far as N. Carolina for a brief vacation. We never had a major problem with the vehicle. We had minor problem with the convertible top which in the down position, caused a small tear on each side of the top where the metal rubbed against the convertible top. Still runs and looks great.

Favorite Features

Ease of puting down the top and driving comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle should have had better quality control regarding the convertible top and more horsepower is suggested if the vehicle is ever produced again.