1992 Mercury Capri - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Capri model:
worth the money
By crankshaft23 on 01/28/11 11:05 AM (PST)

1992 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

I bought the 92 base model in may of 2010 for $800 with only 78k miles. good shape inside and out and the engine clean as a engine can be. the top was bad but found one on ebay really cheap so it looks good. I've put over 23k miles on the car in less then a year and only thing I had to do was replace the fuel pump but it was my fault it went out. and a wheel bearing. for only 100hp the tranny is geared out to have decent pick up for it. really smooth running 70mph on I95 with the top down you can bearly tell your in a convertible.

I love this car
By Jacquelyn on 07/02/10 09:18 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought the Capri on a whim in AZ. I decided to sell it before I left the state. I have been East 6 months and refused to buy a car. My friends and I could not figure it out. I finally did. This am I was looking at cars and put in Capri. I found the exact duplicate. I am walking out the door with cash in hand. Does that say it all?

Still A Fun Ride
By John on 03/08/08 09:39 AM (PST)

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

3 years ago I bought a blue 1992 XR2, just like the picture. It was really about the mileage since our other cars were 2 Ford Expeditions which only got 9 mpg on a good day. Well what a surprise that little car turned out to be. Although it had 78,000 miles on the odometer, it still started and ran like a top. The 5 speed tranny is still tight and the acceleration after driving that land barge was nothing short of breathtaking. I swapped out the old 15" wheels for some new "A.R" 16" wheels and put on  some 225X 60 series tires and what a difference. The thing just hugs the road in a bear grip and will not let go even though I really push it.I found a hard top and its all set.

Great Car!
By RobertD123 on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

We have owned this car for almost 11 years. The quality has been superb. No major repairs and minor maintenance. The only problem has been finding the small cosmetic parts. Engine parts have been no problem through the dealer. Definitely a keeper. Still looks and runs like new.

1992 Mercury Capri analysis
By Tony Rezza on 05/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

My wife and I purchased the vehicle new in 1992. She often drove it to work and once we drove the vehicle as far as N. Carolina for a brief vacation. We never had a major problem with the vehicle. We had minor problem with the convertible top which in the down position, caused a small tear on each side of the top where the metal rubbed against the convertible top. Still runs and looks great.

my little roadster
By al simon on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

I bought my capri in Feb. of 99, this car was in such poor shape though it had only 64,000mi I took that car and fixed it up nice. The main complaint that I have for these cars is that the parts are hard to find and are expensive. Though in the four years that I have owned this vihicle it has open many doors into the auto tech industry, I use the car as a example of the work that I do and now the car has 115,500 miles on it and runs like new, but still needs some repairs such as tie rod ends and lower control arm bushings.

Big Headache
By palmeg5 on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

I bought it in 5/01 with 80k on it, I have spent $700 on repairs every 4 months since. The car has been a headache since day1. Here is a list of parts I have replaced on the car: Entire exhaust up to cat., 2 brake rotors, alternator and belts, water pump, radiator, driver side window regulator, thermostat and the sensor. Just yesterday the automatic transmission stopped functioning. I am going to junk the car and look for a more reliable car, or at least a car that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to fix. Mostly every part it seems like has to be special ordered and or custom installed.

Fun cheap car.
By Red92capri on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Capri 2dr Convertible

I bought the Capri in 10-99 with 104k miles on it. It now has over 156K miles. I have had so much fun with putting the top down and just driving. It has started to nickel and dime me. It needed a new clutch at 153k and a new catalytic converter. The rear wheel bearings went out at 149k and it wasn't done right so it needs to be replaced again. I enjoy the top down and for only $1500.00 it is a great car. The engine and transmission are from the Mazda 323 so it has been reliable.

Approach with caution
By Michael of C+M on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo 2dr Convertible

Not all Capris are junk, but be careful. If this car were as mechanically reliable as it was good- looking, I'd probably still have it. My Capri burned out every exterior light bulb except one fog light. Both CV Boots failed within 4 months of each other. Nobody could figure out why the engine pinged under load, and I always used premium.