Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

What's not to like?
By Anonymous

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I purchased the car because I was tired of looking for "safe" parking for my Porsche Boxster. The hard-top convertible gives me peace-of-mind so I can park on-street. For the first few weeks, I really missed the Porsche. But now I wouldn't go back. After adjusting to the different ride characteristics, I feel it handles as well as the Boxster and is far superior for longer drives. The AMG sport package is a must if you want a sports car experience. I've owned MG's, Triumphs, 240Z, 260Z, Porsche 911 Carrerra, Porsche 944 and Porsche Boxster (yes, I'm now an old guy.) This car is as much fun as any of my past cars, and as fast as anything I've driven.

Favorite Features

Hard-top convertible and paddle shifters. It also has a neck-heater for driving on cool evenings. The seats are extremely comfortable for a larger person.

Suggested Improvements

Wider trunk. I figured out how to get my golf clubs in, but not easily. I wish I had gotten the SLK55 for the upgraded seats. The seats are heated/electric and very comfortable, but the SLK55 are a whole different experience.

Wife's car. My mid-life toy.
By Russ

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK280 Edition 10 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My wife has the Edition model with a 7- speed automatic. Silver on black. This car looks cool and is a blast to drive. Off the line, it's not especially quick. But once the RPM get above 2500, look out! This car really moves. You can accelerate to 80 MPH (and much higher)in the blink of an eye. And it sounds like a sports car. Terrific fun. The wife used to have a '03 SLK320. The '08 280 is a much better car. It has a much better ride and is much more fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks, 'Edition' chrome wheels, acceleration, handling, ease of parking, folding hardtop. It also has more interior room than you might think.

Suggested Improvements

The standard sound system is horrible. It sounds like a table-top AM radio. The radio that I had in my 1966 Chevelle Malibu sounded better. What a disappointment for a high-end car.

Defect in Radio Mercedes Won't Fix
By Linda

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 2008 Slk Mercedes, purchased Sirius Radio service and I started losing stations. I notified Mercedes, they looked at my car 3 times, told me all 08 & 09 Mercedes where the sat. in sky is positioned, certain stations have weak signals. Called Sirius Radio, they said that is not true, antenna or cable in car. Then Mercedes told me since Sirius merged with Xm some of the 08 & 09 radios will not work, because there is a Bug in the radio preventing it from picking up some radio stations, because the radio was built before the merger. Called Sirius,they confirmed in writing, a merger takes 5 years, and Sirius sat. are running off sirius, xm off xm. Notified Mercedes of this, and they refused

Favorite Features

to acknowledge that the problem is with the car and not the sirius service. They will not honor my warranty to fix this. Requested Mercedes to put in writing what they told me, and they refused. And was hung up on by one of their case managers in the corporate office BEWARE

My wife's Dream Car
By Frank

We enjoy this special car because of its unique appearance and build quality. The car is very stable on the highway and absorbs road imperfections well. The black metallic paint is of superior quality and shines beautifully (if clean). The gear shifter feels industrial in strength but the sun visors are very small and cheap. Seats are firm but comfortable for long distance cruising. Road noise can be heard from the rear when driven above 40 mph. The sound of the engine via the tail pipe is second only to the Porsche in the roadster class. Great safety is a given as is its long term durability. Learning the features of the car and the interior buttons may take time.

Favorite Features

Edition 10 wheels and paint. Overall design of the exterior and automatic retractable top.

Suggested Improvements

Blind spots with top up. Rear wheel tire noise and intermittent noises from the trunk/ roof at highway speeds (90 mph)

The Perfect Machine
By WFTJR

2008 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The lease was up on my 2006 E350 so I jumped into a 2008 SLK 280. The E350 is flawless but I needed more of a "wow" factor. The black exterior with the tan and black interior is stunning. This car is the perfect blend of performance and luxury. My SLK has Premium III (navigation) with the appearance package. The retractable hardtop is provides the "wow" factor. The fun of driving a convertible without the downside of a ragtop. My only other convertable was a 2003 Z4. The SLK provides more convenience, safety and luxury than the Z4. Remember, it's not how fast you go, it's how well you go fast.

Favorite Features

Retractable hardtop, navigation, Harmon Kardon sound system, Tel Aid, and homelink.

Suggested Improvements

More speakers behind and between the seats.