Best Benz I've Ever Owned
By J. Marc Mushkin on
2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
This is my 5th Mercedes, dating back to 1987. It's my first roadster, after enduring a 2003 CLK (awful) and a 2005 CLK (vastly improved). Fortunately, this car is wonderful. The finish, the interior trim level, the seats, the workings of the convertible hard-top, the little touches like "air-scarf" and the other details all combine to make this car a joy to drive and a pleasure to own. It's, by far, the best built Benz I've owned since, probably, the S class I had back in '89. After a year and 10,000 miles so far so good with the exception of the navigation system (see below)!
Favorite Features
The convertible top is great to use. The styling of the car either top-up or top-down is terrific.
Suggested Improvements
1 The expensive navigation system is very poor -- the screen scratches easily (& can't be fixed), the navigation data entry is a joke & the actual directions it gives are illogical and often incorrect: in short TERRIBLE. 2 Cup holders get hot drinks ice cold because of their placement by air vents!
By jmmushkin
on 01/31/11 08:09 AM (PST)

After 3+ years I sold this car. While I still agree with most of my own comments from 2008, I must say the problems with the navigation system really turned out to be a downer. How Mercedes could justify charging over $2,000 for that user-unfriendly, inaccurate, obsolete system is a mystery. I now have a 2011 E-350 Cab and fortunately the navigation system is much better.