Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Missed the mark
By CDR

2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

While the SLK 280 is a fun convertible to drive, Mercedes missed the mark on a number of fine points. With top down, wind noise negates any conversation or music listening. The cup holders are poorly made and located in a position that blocks your view to the right. The weight (lack of) of the car makes it very dangerous to drive in the rain. It floats and hydroplanes in puddles. Storage is extremely limited and the glove box is filled completely with the cd-changer. Each oil change is over $300 (no options for less) and all they do is "inspect" the car and change the oil! The retractable roof worked perfectly every time and the neck scarf heater is the best feature of the car.

Favorite Features

Neck scarf. Comfortable seats. navigation was good.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a joke. More interior storage. A normal price for an oil change. Rear right light does not ever light with fog lights on.

Love it, Love it!
By Fgovers

2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Delighted with my Mercedes SLK 280, in Mars Red. I fell in love first with the styling, then with the drive. My favorite part is the air scarf and heated seats, that let you drive with the top down in cool weather (which in Texas is just about year round). The hardtop is leaps above having a rag top and works very well (and impresses anyone who sees it). I actually like the factory nav system, and it has worked well for me. I find the car very comfortable on road trips, and got about 32mpg on the highway with premium gas. My car has the DVD-based sound system - 4 GB of MP3's is a lot.

Favorite Features

The hardtop convertible, the air scarf, the heated seats, the sound system, the front end, the back end. Turns heads.

Suggested Improvements

The owners manual needs work. The GPS could use updating. The cruise control knob is confusing (like most MB).

Blast to Drive
By benzbythebay

2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got tired of all the idiot lights coming on my BMW and bought one of these. I have had it 1 1/2 years and not a problem anywhere/anytime. Great acceleration and moves when you want it to in SF traffic. Car always gets looks and build/quality is excellent. You wont find cheap plastic or trim falling apart in this car. Also what I like best is the seat belt dosent rub no the leather (wear it out) BMW has this problem. Great handling car and 280 is enough power.

Favorite Features

See above

Suggested Improvements

I dont care for the defrost as it only has one speed and while it does the job in a snap, it appears to be a little overkill.

Fun car to drive
By Rob

2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was looking for a fun convertible car to drive, more interested in a good ride, but also some ponys under the hood to get 'er going. I found nirvana in the SLK! I test drove several others - Z4's, Boxsters but didn't like the ragtops.

Favorite Features

Automatic hard top

Suggested Improvements

Winged door hinges should be an option

Best Benz I've Ever Owned
By J. Marc Mushkin

2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 5th Mercedes, dating back to 1987. It's my first roadster, after enduring a 2003 CLK (awful) and a 2005 CLK (vastly improved). Fortunately, this car is wonderful. The finish, the interior trim level, the seats, the workings of the convertible hard-top, the little touches like "air-scarf" and the other details all combine to make this car a joy to drive and a pleasure to own. It's, by far, the best built Benz I've owned since, probably, the S class I had back in '89. After a year and 10,000 miles so far so good with the exception of the navigation system (see below)!

Favorite Features

The convertible top is great to use. The styling of the car either top-up or top-down is terrific.

Suggested Improvements

1 The expensive navigation system is very poor -- the screen scratches easily (& can't be fixed), the navigation data entry is a joke & the actual directions it gives are illogical and often incorrect: in short TERRIBLE. 2 Cup holders get hot drinks ice cold because of their placement by air vents!